• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

henry street aston

Maps before 1851 do not show Heneage St or Henry St. In the 1951 Tallis map there is evidence of buildings on that corner , though with no detail. The window tax was repealed in 1851, so the building would have been built shortly before that.

Last edited:
It was only a thought on my part concerning the bricked up windows. Our house in Vincent Street Balsall Heath was semi detached and had a dummy bricked up window between the houses above the entry and I could never work out why that was and it was the only one in the street like it. Even though I believe the pair of houses were the oldest in the street I don't believe they were built before 1850.

Have corrected my post 31 concerning a change of name. It was always Henry St. Have forum three sale notices which refer to land at the corner of Henry St and Heneage St. It would appear the maps I referred to which did not show these streets were a little out of date. It is not clear whether the sales refer to three separate corners, or some are repeated, but it looks like the land in that area was being sold for building around 1830

aris birm gaz.1.3.1830.jpgAris Birm gaz.11.8.1828.jpgaris Birm gaz.30.8.1830.jpg

re pic on post 25...also nice to see a shot of heneage st as i also had rellies living there in 1841

Last edited:
You know it looks almost like the place never had top floor windows as such, just built bricked in. Was there a snooker hall up there? Another guess.
Another unusual thing about the photo (post 25) is that there does not seem to be a name for the pub. Unusual I am sure.
I see there are a few pubs in the area but none, I have seen or read about, fit the bill. There were so many pubs in years past, almost one every 50 yards!

alan when you save the photo on post 25 the caption will read that the pub is/was the shepherd and shepherdess

lyn

I never even noticed that there was no name noticeable on the pub it was definitely the Shepherd & Shepherdess, but if it was anything like the other Kelsey's pub further up Henry Street on the corner of Ashted Row the Ashted Tavern then the name would have been on the brickwork either in metal letters or even painted on. So perhaps they had fell off or worn off.

Hi All,
I found both of these photos on Facebook.They were both titled 'Silks Henry Street'.
They obviously don't look like the same shops.
Was Silks in 2 different places or did they have one that was demolised and rebuilt?
Annette
Hi
I had a look on the census. My family lived at 89 Henry Street and the Silks were at 91 Henry Street (on the corner with Coleman street I believe) in the 1911 census. Sarah Silk is listed as a widow and head of the household. By 1939 the Mayner family are listed at number 91 so I assume that the shop had moved by then.
Sarah

Back