• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Henry Moon & Sons Ltd Clockmakers

alandpol

knowlegable brummie
Hi, I am chasing moonbeams, or at least a company called Henry Moon and Sons who were clockmakers from around 1850 to 1920 at Banbury St then Suffolk St. I am interested because three generations of my Lees family worked for them. Grandad completed 54 years then the owners called him in and presented him with a gold watch? no. A big cheque? No. They gave him a clock. Don't know how to post this but here goes.

Hi Alan, I don't know if this is going to be of any help, but Henry Moon is not listed as a clockmaker in either Baillie or Loomes, but Henry Moon is listed as a dial maker, Birmingham, between 1868-1880. What I am guessing at is that they were perhaps people who put clocks together using parts that other people made, not a man who made every single bit of a clock bar the dial, which is how clockmakers 'proper' used to work. Seeing as they were quite late in time (as opposed to say 17th century), I suspect that this would be the case. Someone may be able to look them up in a trade directory. (for info: both Baillie and Loomes are books for clock collectors/worshippers/crackpots that list major clock makers of the world). Shortie

in 1880 kellys. henry moon . clock dial maker. clock hand maker. clock material manufacturer and clock maker. 103 suffolk street.

and in 1862 kellys. henry moon . clock movement maker. 9 cannon street
and henry moon . clock wheel cutter. 9 cannon street.

and in 1876 clock hand maker and clock dial maker. 103 suffolk street

I can add a little to Shera:

1855. There is no sign of Henry Moon
1858 Not listed as in business, but lives at 9 Cannon St
In Morris’s business directory of 1862 , Henry Moon is listed under both clock movement makers and clock wheel cutters at 9 Cannon St (he is the only person in the last category.)
From other directories
1867 Moon Henry, clockmaker, 103 Suffolk St
1868-73 Moon Henry, clockmaker, wheel cutter & indicator maker 103 Suffolk St
1878-80 Moon Henry, clock material & indicator fitting manufacturer, 103 Suffolk St
1883-84 Moon Henry, clock material manufacturer, 103 Suffolk St
1888-97 Moon Henry. clock material manufr. 10 & 12 Holloway head,

In 1899-1921 an advert was included as the Kellys entry. The ones for 1900 and 1921 are given below.I have also given one from 1932

1932-33 Moon Henry & Sons Ltd. Mechanical Engineers:gear & rack cutters, clock &,
cinematograph machine manufacturers, to & 12 Holloway head. Tel. Add.
"Moonograph;"Tel. No. Midland 2298. See Advt. Index (Advert shown below)
1936-39 Moon Henry & Sons Ltd. mechanical engnrs. 10 & 12 Holloway head. T A "
Moonograph ;" T N Midland 2296
1949-56 Moon Henry & Sons Ltd. gear cutters, 10 & 12 Holloway head 1. T A "
Moonograph; " Midland 2296
1962-71 Moon Henry & Sons Ltd. gear cutters, 20 Banbury st 5.Midland 2296
1972 Not listed

advert_1900_kellys.JPG

advert_1921_kellys.JPG

advert_1932_kellys.JPG

Hi guys, ever get that feeling of being a complete ..... what's the word. Well it's like an England goalkeeper feels right now. Twit! That will do. And why? Because you have posted diligently researched answers to my question re Henry Moon and I have not read them until now. True, I have been away but it's unforgiveable that I have not thanked you until now. Thank you for they have expanded my knowledge of him and his workers (grandad and his dad) because I knew not that he was in the cinematography and gramaphone business. I hope you will forgive me as you will forgive Robert Green ........ eventualy. Best regards alandpol. PS pushing my luck. Why is it when I click on the thumbnails I get just a black screen. Is it because I am using Firefox to sign in?

Back