• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help with location please

tydavnet

proper brummie kid
Hello all

I have just started to research my dad's side of the family history and have found my gg granddad George Cutler moored in Brum in th 1891 census. Can anyone help pinpoin the place where they were recorded.Can we tell who they worked for by where they moored. Family reports seem to indicate they worked for Claytons. I have not found anything online re the City of London but will be in Shropshire in April and will try to visit the West Mids museums and Birmingham library for more info. Any suggestions for sources for canal boatmen in Brum and Staffs would be appreciated.

Anyway the 1891 entry is shown below, preceeding entry showed 6 Court Hse 9 Bartholomew St. entries after show another couple of boats then 6 Ct Hse 12 Lower Fazeley St.

Also, this is a longshot, my gr grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Cutler (nee Ward - Wards also boat people from Staffs, Tipton way I think with my research so far) was supposed to have assisted someone with info for a book on canal life back in the 70's.Of course this is all family say so, it could have just been someone's article or paper for school, but it would be amazing if any canal enthusiasts ever saw her name mentioned.

Just as a note of interest in case anyone knows the name, Alfred Cutler mentioned in the entry is recorded as Alfred Clegg in the 1901 census so I presume he was a step brother.

Any info on the location or names mentioned would be much appreciated.

Really enjoy the canal forum by the way, one of the most informative I have found (fun too)

Heres the entry
Piece: RG12/2384 Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire Enumeration District: 24
Civil Parish: Birmingham Ecclesiastical Parish: St Bartholomew
Folio: 114 Page: 39 Schedule: 232
Address: Boat, City Of London

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks CUTLER Charles Head M M 55 Boatman(Em'ee) Worcestershire - Oldbury CUTLER Mary Wife M F 50 Staffordshire - Walsall CUTLER Alfred Son S M 10 Scholar Worcestershire - Oldbury CUTLER George Son S M 8 Scholar Worcestershire - Oldbury

Staffordshire canals

Hello Tydavnet,
If you go to this site there is information about the Staffordshire canal. Good lucK.................Cat:)

https://wdhs.org.uk

The Gloucester waterways archives have some canal boat registers and other records and they may be able to tell you who owned the boat called the City of London. This website has information about canal boatmen research and you can also e-mail them and ask if they can direct you to the most approriate place to find the canal information you are looking for.

https://virtualwaterways.co.uk/Home.html

Also the Wolverhampton archives may have additional canal information
https://www.wolverhamptonarchives.dial.pipex.com/

You can also e-mail the Birmingham Library archives and ask them which boat registers they have archives@birmingham.gov.uk

Thanks

Thanks for the replies the info was very helpful. I will be visiting Brum (from snowbound Canada) in April and my brother and I hope to take a walk around this area. We also hope to take the 21 bus from the city centre to Weoley Castle where we grew up. Funnily enough the old Lapal canal runs just at the bottom of the road we used to live in and I see there is a trust set up now to restore it. My two brothers (who live in Telford) and I are also hiring a canal boat from Norbury junction, not sure which route we will take yet, may even go into Brum. I can't wait!!!!

Regards
Dympna

Hope you have a wonderful time on your visit Tydavnet. My family were also boat people, from Castle Donnington in Leicestershire. In 1841 their address was given as Towing Path, Ladywood. They later left the boats and by 1851 were running a pub near that towing path.
Co-incidentally, when we lived in Halesowen our house was very close to the old Lapal Tunnel - and there were plans then (1992) to restore it, but I can't see it ever happening. The canal goes under Manor Way which is the A456 from Birmingham and the M5/6 Motorway and very very well used.

Re: Thanks

Dympna, my mother lived in this area in the 30's. Do you know anything about Brighton Cottages, Canal Side, Stonehouse Lane?
Regards, Eddie

Back