• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help please : 2 Aston streets

christopher short

Birmingham Post
At the bottom of Electric Ave, turn left under the railway bridge into Aston Hall Road and the was a road on the left and about halfway down that road was another road first right. Any help please.
My Father's cousin had a small engineering business there and the first great love of my life lived down there.

This map of the area pre 1971, will point you in the right direction. Max

Thank you both, I think Priory Road is correct John, but I'm sorry to say Maxwell that your map is indistinct.

if you click on the map it will open up in a new window full size. also if you save the map to your desk top you can even close in to individual streets. Max

Last edited by a moderator:
I was born and bread in Priory Road, 1941-1968. My sister Jean and I always reflect back to the good old days in Priory Road from time to time. We still had family living there after we left home. We were the Perks family and lived at number 3 back of 55.
What was the name of the company?
I remember the following:-

Priory Castor
The Hermetic Rubber Company
Peerless Stampings
Moor Bros
Outwood Tool Company (part of Peeler Stamping)
Concentric Pumps

Hope this helps

Johnp5,

Many thanks for your reply, it was, as I recall Outward Tool and my Father's cousin's name was Len Golding.
My first great love was Georgina Perkins. I'm not sure if she lived in Priory Road or the other one off to the right.

Hello Christopher,

I myself worked at Halladays Drop Forgings in Tame Road and a good friend of mine worked at the Outwood Tool Company. His name was Keith Turner, he left Halladays to go and work around the corner at the Outwood Tool Company. I do remember the name Len Golding, I will ask Keith when I speak to him.

I knew Georginas sister Yvonne Perkins, as she was around my age, they lived next to the Cafe on the corner as I recall. Yes and that was in Priory road!!!

Johnp5 and paulyx,
Good morning,

Thank you for your replies. Len Golding lived in Cheshire Road, Witton and after he married and became more prosperous moved out to Sutton Coldfield.
I have been in touch with Georgina's husband Dan in Canada, who she married after meeting him at Nottingham University. They have 4 children and 12 Grandchildren. I am very sorry to say that she contracted Alzheimer's in her late 40's and has been in a nursing home since then.

Paul,
Eric and myself aren't related, well at least I don't think so. My father did come from a very large family so you never know.
Did you live in Priory road Paul?

Chris,

What a wicked shame!
Do you have any other memories of Priory Road or Aston?
They have since demolised it, I used to live half way down, my wife always says we were posh as we had a bath! My wife lived in Frankfort street, Newtown.

does anyone recall a family named somervilles?, lived in priory road? mary jane somerville was living there at a nbr 73 in1895 could be my grandmother, not sure yet but was working at electric in caton manufactory as a machine hand and was 16 years old at the time? any info would be great ta

John5 my dad worked at Hallidays. His name was Albert Lyndon and his friend Ken Partridge worked there too. Jean.

hi guys ;
just picked up on this thread this evening and if i have followed the directions correctly and i may have miss judge the person on the direction
but coming out of from electric avenue and turning left onto aston halll rd is yes it was priory rd and yes concentrics was at the bottom of the rd on the right hand side of the rd i also worked there for a short while opererating a capstone machine alongwith a friend of mine
we both left and started together i moved on and he joined the ambulance services which he told me was where he was going and later in life i met up with him in uniform and he reconised me we had a great chat whilst on our way to the hospital ;
now getting back on track next to lovers walk was grovener st west which was more or les just off to the right was of electric avenue
but walking past priory rd on continueing along aston hall rd on your right was waterworks rd which was the aton church taveren was on it was the big brick pub at the bottom of the rd of water works rd and lichfield rd and along from there afew fifty yards was the king edwards pub
i worked at the die casters in grovener rd west and later in life the rspca set up shop from there from across the old lichfield rd ;
as i remember ;correctly ; and by coinincidence i live next door to a lady whom worked there many many yearrs ago when she was young we often have a chat of the old aston ;so i am saying its water works rd that was to the right of priory rd ; astonian

Just to put the record straight Grosvenor Street West was in Ladywood. Grosvenor Road was in Aston and was on the right hand side of Aston Hall Road, just before the railway bridge, with Electric Avenue on the left of Aston Hall Road.

Did any of the guys who lived In Priory rd remember a young lady by the name of Ann Jakes not sure on correct spelling
robb128

hi sylv ; yes you are correct thats my over active brain and a distraction on the home front whilst i was tapping away
i never relized that i put west at the end ; they are course two different rds and different areas and i should have relized that and i do know the differents as i know both those streetsand grovenor rd aston i worked there at the alminuim die casters for years before moving and working at tubes and the grov; st west lady wood i also knew very well;
so i hope it never confused any body on that and thank you sylv; for pointing it out and putting it correct and to bring it to my attention ;
perhaps i am now slowly going into decline and get what you people call senior moments
have a nice day every body best wishes astonian ;; alan

hi sylv;
yes its me again ; as i have just said i think i must be starting to go into that senior decline i hope not know ;
also on the last point ofthe thread the other day when i said about grovenor rd i said it was murthies aluminuim die castors
it was in fact it was murcots ; alumin; pressure die casting and they was a large firm along grovenor rd that i worked
as a die caster and beleive it was hard work amongest those furnaces we all had our indivisual furnaces putting or should i say dropping all day long pouring out red hot metal and putting in the alum ; ingots to smelt but saying that when i went to work at tubes
above there furnace which was huge beleive me it was if i was melting my self as i was driving the over head cranes above every body and beleive
me there furnances was really huge and pulling out red hot tubes of red white molten and ther was many huge furnaces i had to lift out
but any wauy murcotts aluminuim die castors in grovenor rd aston i wonder if any body else worked at murcotts
but i think concentrics was the biggest employers around the area especialy for women they had a place on tyburn rd as well [ concentrics ]
thanks again sylv; for pointing out my over spelling of grovenor rd best wishes astonian ;; alan ;

Astonian, nice to hear from you, and glad you didn't take offence at me pointing out your mistake, we all have these senior moments. I am pretty sure Murcotts in Grosvenor Road was where my late brother-in-law worked for a couple of years around 1950, I was only a child then but seem to recall he was a turner, would that make sense? as it doesn't seem to relate to what you did there. I also remember my sister worked at The Sanbra? either in Priory Road or Aston Hall Road, she was a comptometer operator and worked in the offices, this would be in the late 1940s.

Back