• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help! John Pryse murdered

• Thread starter Thread starter Wendy
  • Start date Start date
After enlarging it by clicking on it a couple of times you can usually make it even bigger by changing the zoom % on your computer.

Thank you Shera, I'll remember to that next time there is a cutting. There dosen't seem to be any doubt as to James Scott's guilt but it does seem funny that he didn't hang.
Sheri

a couple of the reasons given for not hanging james scott was his age was taken into account and that he was the sole support to his widowed mother - but how can he have supported her when he went to prison for 20 years???

no i read it that the 3000 people were angry that the home secretary had commuted the sentence.

Shera, just noticed in post #14 tacitus has also said the signatures were in favour of Scott????????????
Now I'm really confused :rolleyes:

i had to read it a good few times before i decided the people were AGAINST reprieving james :rolleyes::)

I did have to read it a couple of times myself. I just checked it out again and I am sure the petition was in favour of Scott.

Apologies if I am wrong.

I wonder if he stayed in Birmingham after his release.

I would imagine John Pryse's family would have been pretty unhappy with that.

T

This is great the conversation between us so many years after the event. I would love to type a piece up about this the only problem I have is when I save the newspaper cuttings I can't read them. Has anyone any suggestions please.

Wendy, can you enlarge them by clicking on them a few times, then enlarge them using your zoom% on your computer then using your snipping tool save it in sections?
if you cant do it I will try:rolleyes: and then email it to you.
Polly :)

Some information here from 20 years later when Scott was released from prison.

Amazing to see that for part of his sentence he was imprisoned at Gibraltar.

View attachment 50134

I know I read somewhere that despite the number of people who were hanged many death sentences were in fact commuted.

I wonder how all these thousands of signatures in Scott's defence were obtained. There must have been strong feelings in his favour.

T
I wonder if anyone can help with the date of this article I now have a lovely file on the subject. I have re typed the above thanks to Polly's help, so it's easier to read but sadly don't know which newspaper or a date.

JohnPryseApr1867_.jpg
Wendy.
It was from the Birmingham Post Monday, October 3, 1887; Issue 9131.

While looking for it I found the following in the Birm. post of Saturday, February 13, 1886, which shows that the indexing system in the Post's library was not very good
In addition, i didn't knoe if you had the other cutting from the Daily News (London, England), Tuesday, October 4, 1887; Issue 12944. I t reads like something Dickens might have written
Mike
On reposting these cuttings, i have included the one from Wendy's post also for the benefit of others.

Scott_after_release_from_prison.jpg
JohnPryseJul1867_.jpg

Thanks Mike I can now add the date to my piece. It is an intriguing piece of history which I have more info on all will be revealed soon.

Great to see this one upright Brian as you know I did a lot of research on the terrible event of his murder.

I am so pleased to see this headstone standing up again. Wendy, your research on this memorial revealed so much - a tragic event and details of a Birmingham gun Company and the family that owned it.
Thanks for posting the pictures Brian.

Back