• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help identify this uniform

• Thread starter Thread starter Wendy
  • Start date Start date
W

Wendy

I am posting this for a member on Facebook. This is George Bullock born 1906 in 1916 he was living at Tower Road, Aston. I hope someone can identify his uniform.

Stephanies_photo.jpg

Wendy
I have tried to improve it slightly in the hope it helps identify the uniform.

Stephanies_photoB.jpg

Looking at the image, it looks like a low resolution scan that's been enlarged (why there are those squares of colour rather than a smooth texture). There may be something to the cap badge and the cap itself - adjusting the contrast brings out what might be letters on the white of the cap and the badge seems to have a shape that is partly lost in the glare. There are other white shapes there but I think they're flaws on the photograph rather than anything meaningful. Do you have the original? If you scan in greyscale at a higher resolution covering only the cap you may be able to get something meaningful by playing with the contrast of the image.

I also suspect it is a civilian band uniform. The braiding on his cap is unusual for a military style.

Thank you for your comments. I now have the original picture and will scan the badge area and put another picture on. The badge does look like the Royal Military School of Music to me. I have attached a picture which shows the top half of the uniform a bit clearer.GeorgeBadge2.jpg

The cap badge looks exactly like the one chocks posted on post #6.

I agree Wendy it does look like it, will try scanning the original photo tomorrow and focus on the badge to see if I can get a clearer image.

To my knowledge the "School of Military Music", was only a school for regimental music, and members were already members of a regiment, some TA musicians were also there.paul

Thank you Mapolebaz, the only other information I have found for him today is he lived in Phillips Street, Aston in 1928 when he was 21 years old and his occupation was a Rubber Worker. I know he lived in Tower Road, Aston before that, so I am researching bands in that area. The actual photograph was done on a postcard and there is a photographers address on the back, F. Myers, Studio 71, Mount Street, Nechells, Birmingham. So I am researching bands - not military - in that area. He only looks young in the photograph so maybe he was in a boy band of some kind.

Back