• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help Finding Missing Birmingham Streets

N

Nostromo

I'm researching my family tree and have found references to my ancestors living in the following streets in the late 1800s/early 1900s:
  • Claverdon Street
  • Mill Lane
  • Bloomsbury Street
All three appear to have been somewhere in the Saltley, Nechells, Aston and/or Duddeston region but none appear on any of the old maps I have, dating back to the 1950s. I'm guessing that they were probably all swept away in the post-war redevelopment of the area. Does anyone know where these used to be? Better still, does anyone have access to maps showing the location of these streets? I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me.

Regards

I have an old Bartholomew's Atlas and Guide with the street listed in 1949? I could down load the pages if required?

Keith

Going towards the City on the A45 at the traffic lights in Deritend, with Old Crown pub on your left if you turn right you go into a Mill Lane maybe this is the one you are looking for.

This map shows both Bloomsbury St and Claverdon St, both were located in the Duddeston / Nechells area of Birmingham quite close to what is now Nechells Parkway. Claverdon St has long gone, but a part of Bloomsbury St still remains.

Phil

B-hamStreetPlan.jpg

The Midland Red Bus Company had a garage in Mill Lane before they moved to Digbeth Coach Station.

Sorry I just realised its Mill Lane you want. That ran between Digbeth and Bradford St near the Bull Ring. I'll change the maps.

Phil

Digbeth.jpg

The Midland Red Bus Company had a garage in Mill Lane before they moved to Digbeth Coach Station.

Mill Lane is immediately at the 'town' side of Digbeth coach station, the garage/station was built in 1929 and replaced a former factory on the site.

Wow, thanks everybody: mystery solved. What a fantastic website this is!

Hold it Nostromo, I wouldn't go as far as that but they are BRILLIANT:)

Back