• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HELP! Baptims or marriage help needed

yellowduckbook

Brummie babby
Hello,

I have been trying to trace my grandmothers line of the family now for 2 years and I have drawn a blank and hit a brick wall. I am trying to find any baptism or census records for Gertrude Lydia Bull born 13th February 1883 in Birmingham. Birth cert states parents names as Lydia Bull formerly Davis & William James Bull - address at birth was 34 Court, 5 Bromsgrove Street, Birmingham. Her marriage was to John William Brannan in July 1901 at St Josephs Church, Birmingham and address on marriage cert is 6 Court, 4 Great Colemore Street, Birmingham. (Fathers name is James Bull on marriage cert) This is my problem:

I cannot find any census records at all - no 1891, 1901 or 1911 for any of them. I have her 1911 census record as a married woman, but still cannot find Her parents.

I don't know if she had any siblings. All I can find is a birth in 1885 of a William James Bull in Birmingham - possible sibling. I have also found a death for a Lydia Bull in 1885 too, which could explain why I cannot find her.

Is there any way of find out from baptism records if the chld William James Bull born in 1885 is their child without me paying for a certificate on the hope that it is? Also don't know where they would have been baptised, if they have!

Any offers of help are gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
icon7.png

A search on Ancestry for a death of Lydia Bull in 1885 returned two hits. One was age 64 and the other 29. Obviously neither could be your lass.

Back