• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Haynes Greengrocery vans

Susie60

Does anybody remember the Haynes greengrocery vans that use to go round court lane erdington and other roads. Also anyone have any photos it’s a good few years ago ..

Does anybody remember the Haynes greengrocery vans that use to go round court lane erdington and other roads. Also anyone have any photos it’s a good few years ago ..
I Susie60 welcome to Birmingham History Forum.

I recall the Haynes greengrocery vans quite well. When I lived in Stanwell Grove, just off Regan Crescent. It was Norman Haynes and a lady; I think Hettie who came in the van and would blow the horn or Norman would shout out like the rag and bone man to announce they were here.

The first van was just an open sided box van, they would just stand outside and serve. I recall once when I get getting a few bit for my mom as a small boy the heavens opened so they let me in the cab of the van with them until the rain stopped. The van seemed a bit clapped out, as Hettie had to hold a cardboard egg try over the missing side window.

The then started coming in an old single decker coach, it had a sliding door at the front offside. The coach had been hand painted a grey/blue colour and although this looked a bit clapped out.

I quite liked it in all fairness, Norman was a bit of a Delboy character who was always nice to us kids. Once he had Lychees (quite exotic for the time) on the van and gave me some for free. He showed me how to peel them.

I think they were based in Court Land and were related to Haynes the green grocers near the corner of Anderton Road.

see also this thread

see also this thread
Was there a Haynes/Haines greengrocers shop on Sutton Parade in 1950s? I have a vague recollection of the name.

Last edited:
Back