• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hawthorn Road School Hastings Road School Perry Common

does anyone know where I can get any photos of Hastings road school Perry common 1950s pupils and buildings
many thanks in advance Len Price

This thread has been created from posts on the old thread: "school photos". In 1925 it was opened in the former Isolation Hospital before moving (?) or becnong (?) Hastings Road. This is the British History Online summary:

HAWTHORN ROAD COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Erdington. Perry Common Temporary Council Sch. opened 1925 by Birm. C.B.C. in former Isolation Hospital, accom. 360 JI, pending opening of Hastings Rd. Council Sch. Reorganized successively as various depts. of Hastings Rd. Sch. were opened, and eventually from 1928 used for JB only. Name changed 1935. Reorganized 1954 for JI. Accom. 1961: 7 classrooms, hall.

Should think it very unusual to open a school in a former isolation hospital as per the quote in the previous post. These are the details from British History Online about Hastings Road school - successor to Hawthorn Road school. Viv.

HASTINGS ROAD COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Erdington. Hastings Rd. Council Sch. opened 1926, by Birm. C.B.C. Accom. 400 I. New I block, accom. 400, opened 1927 and first block used for JM. Third block (accom. 440 JG) opened 1928 and first block used for SM. 5 huts provided 1930 and SM dept. divided into SB, SG. S depts. became separate schs. 1945. JG dept. reorganized 1954 for JM in former I block. I dept. transferred to huts. Accom. 1961: 14 classrooms, 2 halls, play room.

Hastings Road pupils on a trip to the Great Orme in the 1930s. Image from Birmingham Mail archives. Viv.

image.jpeg

View attachment hawthorn rd school 1959_edited-1.jpg

Mrs. Hurcombe's class of 1959 - some help with the names please. Front row seated left to right - Wendy Morris? - Sylvia Elkington? - Carol Hunt? - ??? - Mrs. Hurcombe - ??? - ??? - ??? -??? - Second row standing - ??? -??? (I think these were brother and sister) - ??? - ??? - ??? - ??? - Phillip Tandy? - ??? - Christopher Bough - ??? - John Keirl (me) - Marilyn Boden - Third row standing - ??? - ??? - ??? - ??? - Joy ? - Pamela ? - Fourth row standing - ??? - ??? - Glynis ? Many apologies if I have got any names wrong but we are sixty years further on!

View attachment 135831

Mrs. Hurcombe's class of 1959 - some help with the names please. Front row seated left to right - Wendy Morris? - Sylvia Elkington? - Carol Hunt? - ??? - Mrs. Hurcombe - ??? - ??? - ??? -??? - Second row standing - ??? -??? (I think these were brother and sister) - ??? - ??? - ??? - ??? - Phillip Tandy? - ??? - Christopher Bough - ??? - John Keirl (me) - Marilyn Boden - Third row standing - ??? - ??? - ??? - ??? - Joy ? - Pamela ? - Fourth row standing - ??? - ??? - Glynis ? Many apologies if I have got any names wrong but we are sixty years further on!
second row david avery and angela dellaport

Hello Stephen Owens
Many apologies, I think the layout of names may have been confusing. It wasn't Marilyn that posted the picture, it was me - John Keirl. I have also posted a picture of Hawthorne Road football team with Mr. Bestwetherick (I think that's how you spell it), and I know you are in that photo.
All the best
John

Hello Stephen Owens
Many apologies, I think the layout of names may have been confusing. It wasn't Marilyn that posted the picture, it was me - John Keirl. I have also posted a picture of Hawthorne Road football team with Mr. Bestwetherick (I think that's how you spell it), and I know you are in that photo.
All the best
John
Hello John, thanks for your reply great to hear from you. I have that football photo and the following year when we won the league with stuart baxter, chris bough, barry sabin and your good self. I was not on your school photo think i must have come the following year. I have school photo a few years later. Are you still living in brum? Would be good to meet up after all these years, best wishes.

View attachment 135831

Hello
I remember Hawthorn Road Junior School very well. My name was Pamela Neal and I am the first child standing on the back row. Not sure who is next to me but the girl on the end in Glynis Ellicker. Other names I remember from this class are Barry Sabin (who broke his leg in an accident on Perry Common Road) Lynette Hardman and Delia Edwards. Mrs Hurcombe was a lovely teacher. Do you remember the lessons that we used to have sitting under the big tree (willow or chestnut) in the Summer?
View attachment 135831

View attachment 135831

front row after mrs hurcombe ?? carol wright, david alder ??
second row?? ?? david avery, angela delaport
third row standing?? ?? janice broadway?? joy goodman ??

Hello
I remember Hawthorn Road Junior School very well. My name was Pamela Neal and I am the first child standing on the back row. Not sure who is next to me but the girl on the end in Glynis Ellicker. Other names I remember from this class are Barry Sabin (who broke his leg in an accident on Perry Common Road) Lynette Hardman and Delia Edwards. Mrs Hurcombe was a lovely teacher. Do you remember the lessons that we used to have sitting under the big tree (willow or chestnut) in the Summer?
Yes i was there in same class as you with jennifer parkes, stuart baxter, sharon rasen, janice broadway, angela dellaport, alistair wilson, carol watson, shelia caddick, joseph roper , angela bridges, john wilcox, john kierl, and me stephen owens.

Yes i was there in same class as you with jennifer parkes, stuart baxter, sharon rasen, janice broadway, angela dellaport, alistair wilson, carol watson, shelia caddick, joseph roper , angela bridges, john wilcox, john kierl, and me stephen owens.
Hello Stephen
You’ve got a good memory! I now remember all these names and I wonder where they all are. Moved from Brum a long time ago but have lots of fond memories.

Hello Stephen
You’ve got a good memory! I now remember all these names and I wonder where they all are. Moved from Brum a long time ago but have lots of fond memories.
Pamela many thanks for the reply and hope you have seen the other school photo with Mrs Moore.
There are also football team photos.
I still live in birmingham and often pass our old school and library which are both still going.
John Kierl got in touch on here and it was nice to hear from him. He lives in Oswestry.
I also keep in touch with Stuart Baxter who is living in south africa. He has been in football all his life as a player coach and manager. You should google his name and look at what he has achived.
The other thing we will hit the 70 mark this year and some the later part of last year, mine will be in march.
Unbeliveable as i can remember our school days so clearly !!!!!!
all best wishes.

Pamela many thanks for the reply and hope you have seen the other school photo with Mrs Moore.
There are also football team photos.
I still live in birmingham and often pass our old school and library which are both still going.
John Kierl got in touch on here and it was nice to hear from him. He lives in Oswestry.
I also keep in touch with Stuart Baxter who is living in south africa. He has been in football all his life as a player coach and manager. You should google his name and look at what he has achived.
The other thing we will hit the 70 mark this year and some the later part of last year, mine will be in march.
Unbeliveable as i can remember our school days so clearly !!!!!!
all best wishes.
Hello Stephen

Thanks for your reply. It’s good to know that you are keeping in touch with some old school friends. Wow! Stuart Baxter. Nice to see all of his achievements today on line. Didn’t realise that all you boys were so in to your football.

I had no idea that John Kierl spells his name that way. Always thought it was Curl. You learn something every day.

It does seem strange that we are nearly 70 Happy Birthday for March! It’s mine at the end of this month.

The only person I am in touch with from the class is Wendy. She lives in Leicestershire.

Best wishes
Pam

Hello
I was here 1961 - 1967

Back