• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hawkes Street

• Thread starter Thread starter lerryngal
  • Start date Start date
My ancestor William Cale (1819-1889) was the publican at the Freeholder's Arms in the 1880s. When he died in July 1889, his will left "the freehold public house called or known by the sign of The Freeholders Tavern situate in Hawkes Street Small Heath near Birmingham in the county of Warwick and also the coal yard adjoining the same unto my housekeeper Frances Davies during her life..." (Will dated 10 September 1888, probate 15 May 1890, with Frances being one of his executors). Thank you for sharing the photo of the pub! Does anyone know who has copyright on that photo?
My great aunt Iris Stuart nee Moore was living there in 1950 (possibly the landlady) with her husband William.

My great aunt Iris Stuart nee Moore was living there in 1950 (possibly the landlady) with her husband William.

Andyboy,

They must have moved out very soon after that because Kelly's Trade Directory for 1950 (which records statistics for the previous year) lists E S Blockley as the landlord, The 1949 edition does list W J Stuart as landlord.

My grandfather was Raymond Joseph Bown he lived on Monica Road in Small Heath which is about a mile away from Hawkes Street :)

I'm 76 and my great,great grandfather John Stone on my mother's side put his address down on the 1871 census as Hawkes Street Freeholders Tavern. I'm not sure whether he was the publican at the time or just drank a lot. His father before him (also named John Stone) listed himself as a "Sword Cutter". Anyone know what that is?

John Stone is listed as a beer retailer in the 1867, 1868 and 1872 directories at 15 Hawkes st, but had been replaced by James Mason in the 1873 edition (year is publication date and would probably refer to year before). As it is named as the Freeholders tavern on the census as a beer retailer it means it was a beerhouse { it had a licence to sell beer and cider, but not spirits). A John Stone (either him or his father) is listed in 1862 directory as a matchet maker (now called machete).

My Dad Tony grew up in Hawkes Street in the 40s and 50s, surname Dutton. His dad was Bill Dutton. Think the house is a carpark now.

Last edited:
My Dad Tony grew up in Hawkes Street in the 40s and 50s, surname Dutton. His dad was Bill Dutton. Think the house is a carpark now.
I lived in Hawkes Street from 1948 to 1970. I remember the Dutton's, Dunn's, Carters, Allen's, Plant's, Jenkins', Meadows', George's two Horne families, (not related). My name is Symonds and I lived in one of the two houses between Browns' Garage and the Sweet warehouse whose name escapes me.

hi all I used to live in Hawkes Street ..Laburnam terrace opposite the Freehloders Arms pub would love to hear any one else who lived there around the same time 1958 to 1970 ish my last name is Wynne
Hi, I remember Hawke Street. I went to Somerville Junior School in the late 1960’s & had a G Wynne in my class. I wonder if that was you? My last name was Walters. I never forgot this boy Wynne. Fond memories of Somerville School back then.

My great grandparents lived at 77 Hawkes Street in the 1921 census, so they could have been your relative's neighbours!

Hi Jane,
I've had a quick look, my great granddad Douglas Bown was living in Laburnham Terrace Hawkes Street. I think the terrace was between 65 and 75 Hawkes so very close to where you grandparents lived!

Hi Jane,
I've had a quick look, my great granddad Douglas Bown was living in Laburnham Terrace Hawkes Street. I think the terrace was between 65 and 75 Hawkes so very close to where you grandparents lived!
My great grandmother is a complete brick wall in my genealogy search. I got quite exciting when I thought you may have a connection to them! I couldn't wait to get a copy of the 1921 census page and it threw up far more questions than answers, unfortunately.

My great grandmother is a complete brick wall in my genealogy search. I got quite exciting when I thought you may have a connection to them! I couldn't wait to get a copy of the 1921 census page and it threw up far more questions than answers, unfortunately.

Interesting. I had a bit of a search for your great grandmother (Mabel Kathleen) and tricky as you say. Nothing definite before 1901 and the only thing that would be even considered a tenuous connection, which you may have seen, is a Foley family living in the Pontypool area in 1881. They do have a daughter of the right age but she is listed as Mary born Cork. Changes/mistakes happen but maybe a bit of a stretch.

William seems quite interesting also, appearing under a number of names and leaving his first family.

Thank you. It's so frustrating and the name changes are a complete mystery. In 1911 they take on the name Folley, then for some reason it changes to Hardy. My one thought is that my ggrandfather was a bookie and I wonder if he changed his name to avoid people.

I thought it would have something to do with William abandoning his wife and children, though he seemed to be only living about a mile from them in 1921.

Being a bookie would good reason.

I thought it would have something to do with William abandoning his wife and children, though he seemed to be only living about a mile from them in 1921.

Being a bookie would good reason.
I'm not sure because he does turn up at his children's weddings!

Hi, we also lived in Hawkes Street, 1 back of 37 in the early 60’s.
I believe, dad, with a lot of family help, bought our back to back off the local factory owner for a 100 Guineas knowing it was condemned and that the council would eventually take over the property and rehouse us. Fond memories. Steve Cridge

Hey my parents used to run the freeholders around 1965 to about 1971. Maurice and Pat Tapscott. Does anyone have any info or stories maybe pictures. All would be greatly appreciated

Hey my parents used to run the freeholders around 1965 to about 1971. Maurice and Pat Tapscott. Does anyone have any info or stories maybe pictures. All would be greatly appreciated
there are 2 photos of the pub on this thread one is better than the other

lyn

My ancestor William Cale (1819-1889) was the publican at the Freeholder's Arms in the 1880s. When he died in July 1889, his will left "the freehold public house called or known by the sign of The Freeholders Tavern situate in Hawkes Street Small Heath near Birmingham in the county of Warwick and also the coal yard adjoining the same unto my housekeeper Frances Davies during her life..." (Will dated 10 September 1888, probate 15 May 1890, with Frances being one of his executors). Thank you for sharing the photo of the pub! Does anyone know who has copyright on that photo?

You're actually a cousin of mine! William Cale was my 4th time Great Grandfather, my Great Nan was Elsie Cale and my Nan and Grandad later ran The Fox and Grapes. It's really interesting how the trade picked up later on down the line too.

Back