• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hasliston

Eric Gibson

master brummie
In my searching I have got back to a GGGranddad Peter Gibson, married 18th August 1825 in Harbourne, Staffs. to Harriet Hasliston. This is from the LDS records but I can find no reference anywhere else to the name Hasliston, anyone here ever come across it? I suppose it may be just an error in transcribing but I've tried a few of the possible alternatives without any better luck. Eric.

Eric it would be worth your while getting a copy of the original document the LDS transcribed the record from, you might then be able to see straight away where the problem lies, it could be down to transcription. Are there any census documents you could ask for a look up on this forum if you knew an address? Just ideas, I may be well out? I have searched across several census for one of my relatives whoose place of Birth was not clear, and incorrectly transcribed. I have now found a census sheet with his detail clearly shown.

:angel: Eric could well be a LDS trancribing error, I found (also on the LDS site):

Hasliston, Norfolk, England = No such place, wrong spelling.

Harleston, Norfolk, England =This is the correct spelling of the place name.

Hope this is of help to you... Good Luck

Chris  :angel:

Eric I would suggest you always check the original document, there may be more info there which can be invaluable. Harbourne parish records will be in the library.

Thanks for the replies, it looks like a trip to Brum is needed, I've had everything from Halliston to Heseltine and some (too many) are in the midlands. As the marriage is way back in 1825 the census option seems to be a non starter as far as the GRO etc is concerned. E.

This might well be the family.

1851 Census 39 Ryland Street Ladywood, Birmingham

Arthur Gibson abt 1842  Warwickshire, Son   
Harriet Gibson abt 1807  Staffordshire, Wife   
Henry Gibson abt 1837  Warwickshire, Son – errand boy 
Peter Gibson abt 1791  Warwickshire, Head  - gardener 
Peter Gibson abt 1831  Warwickshire, Son - printer 
Richard Gibson abt 1839  Warwickshire, Son   
Thomas Gibson abt 1836  Warwickshire, Son   
David Lawrence abt 1822  Norwich, Norfolk, Visitor - upholsterer   

Thought there might be one of the wifes family nearby but no luck.  Still it might prove useful.

Dave

:angel: Eric , It looks like the family could have a Norfolk connection after all:
1851 Census 39 Ryland Street Ladywood, Birmingham... 
Harriet Gibson abt 1807  Staffordshire, Wife...
Peter Gibson abt 1791  Warwickshire, Head  - gardener...
David Lawrence abt 1822  Norwich, Norfolk, Visitor - upholsterer
As a number of family names originated from the area where the family originally lived then:
Harleston, Norfolk, England
may be the correct spelling and a birth certificate will give you the answer as bobpeel stated.
Gibson  Arthur     Birmingham  16 275       March Qtr 1842

Chris :angel:

davidkw said:
This might well be the family.

1851 Census 39 Ryland Street Ladywood, Birmingham

Arthur Gibson abt 1842 Warwickshire, Son
Harriet Gibson abt 1807 Staffordshire, Wife
Henry Gibson abt 1837 Warwickshire, Son – errand boy
Peter Gibson abt 1791 Warwickshire, Head - gardener
Peter Gibson abt 1831 Warwickshire, Son - printer
Richard Gibson abt 1839 Warwickshire, Son
Thomas Gibson abt 1836 Warwickshire, Son
David Lawrence abt 1822 Norwich, Norfolk, Visitor - upholsterer

Thought there might be one of the wifes family nearby but no luck. Still it might prove useful.

Dave

This is my family Dave, I have that census list already and Thomas listed there is my GG Grandfather, I have his marriage certificate from the GRO online but the next generation back I.E. his father Peter and Mother Harriet only show up in the LDS site and with no other family attached, this is the entry. Eric

Husband
PETER GIBSON Pedigree
Birth:
Christening:
Marriage: 18 AUG 1825 Harborne, Stafford, England
Death:
Burial:
Wife
HARRIETT HASLISTON Pedigree
Birth:
Christening:
Marriage: 18 AUG 1825 Harborne, Stafford, England
Death:
Burial:

Ps. it's suggested I get a birth/ marriage certificate for them, can that be done anywhere online?

I've now received the birth certificate for Arthur Gibson, the name transcribed as Hasliston is actually Hurlstone. Not much different :crazy2:. Thanks for the attempts at help. E.

Thanks for that Bob, I haven't been able to confirm a link there yet but I will follow it up.
On another topic can anyone remind me where Lea Bank Square was located? I'm sure I've seen it in my youth but that was sooooooooo long ago. E.

Back