• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harry's Motor Spares Springfield B11

Bob M

proper brummie kid
Does anyone remember this shop ? just on the right as you came onto Stratford Road from Shaftsmoor Lane, opposite the College Arms Pub just before the River Cole Bridge. I used to go there for tools etc even though I had no car, a motorbike instead! He was a mine of information and nearly always had what I needed, he used to make up my brake and clutch cables specially and free!!

Sometimes I would just pop in for a chat! Having left Brum in 1980 I have no idea how much longer he was there.

Good old Harry, a great bloke!!

Bob, I remember the shop very well although i never went in, waiting at the traffic lights after coming down Shaftsmoor Lane from Lucas`s it was in your view, i seem to remember a shop named Luckmans? can`t remember what they sold. Len.

Of course there were other shops etc in those days, VA Luck the timber yard half way up the Shaftsmoor Lane hill on the left going towards Acocks Green, and I think next door was a small garage/petrol station. Another of my "memory landmarks" was the hardware shop on the left hand side of Stratford road towards Sparkhill, which had a giant kettle hanging over the shop front!!

Bob M

Hi Bob, On your right was Springfield Rd with the Social Club, Druckers Patisserie Bakery, and Elts Main Vauxhall Car Garage. Len.

Hi Bob, On your right was Springfield Rd with the Social Club, Druckers Patisserie Bakery, and Elts Main Vauxhall Car Garage. Len.
yes Len, looks like Druckers is the sole survivor on Google Earth Street view, its not any longer the Springfield I knew, nor is the city centre, new Bull Ring. ughh !!! Bob

Back