• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harry Patch

• Thread starter Thread starter doris
  • Start date Start date
D

doris

Just heard of the passing of Harry Patch.....A REAL HERO.....RIP...

Deepest respect Harry. You are now reunited with your brave comrades. Please pass on our sincere gratitude. RIP

sorry..i didnt notice this thread so i started one under condolences..

rest in peace harry and thank you...:(

astoness

Harry, many people do not realise it but we all owe you and your comrades a debt of gratitude. Rest in peace Harry and GOD bless you.

The last of those gallant men,who gave so much,in the "war to end wars".
Well done Mr.Harry Patch,and rest in peace.

Harry,

You became special because of your longevity. But, I suspect you were special anyway. You connected us with our history and made it real. What a man you were. God bless you. And will will not forget you. And, because of you, we will do our best not to forget the men that never returned. I salute you and much more. I liked you.

R.I.P.

Ann

I listened to an interview that was done last year with Harry and he made the point that the German soldiers suffered as much as ours and we must not forget that. R.I.P Harry. Jean.

Rest in Peace Harry.

Life's race well run,
Life's work well done
Life's crown well won
Now cometh rest.

Anon

RIP Harry Patch, your comrades and contemporaries.

We now have only historians sanitised accounts of such terrible times

I second everyones sentiments. I know it does`nt happen - but would`nt it be great if Harry could once again meet his MG mates! God Bless.

I am not trying to take anything away from this great war hero but many people do not realise that Harry was lucky because he survived, if living with the memory of what he and his comrades went through can be described as lucky. That is why we should all pay our respects, and encourage others including youngsters to do the same every year on rememberance day.

I listened to one of his interviews as well Jean, where he said that the war was not worth the loss of even one life, and he thought negotiation was the way out. Bless him. He had it right there. Why is it that governments, no matter which country we speak of, are willing to sacrifice our young? Lets face it, it has continued since the year dot.
I would not want to offend any of our friends on here. My Dad was in the second world war, I have a brother and two brothers in law who were all in the forces, and I respect them for their choice, but isn't there enough intolerance and hatred in the world without supporting war? Especially when they can't tell us what the hell we are fighting for. I feel for our men out there and their families. What a shame that an old mans words of wisdom can't be heeded.
Lynda

I have been taking sixth form students to the battlefields of belgium and france for the last seven years. There are now many young people who also 'won't forget'. On my last English lesson with this years class, I played a youtube video of Harry when we were discussing the Armistice. People may be pleased to know that, one year when the College didn't organise an 'official' silence on Armistice day, the group I was teaching asked for one. K

Kah that is so good to hear!

R.I.P. Harry Patch we will remember and people like you help us to remember.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7peTBVprtY"]YouTube - Harry Patch, 109, at Passchendaele[/ame]

If it stops raining i am going to Wells to sign Harry's book of condolences

Mossy:)

Back