• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harry lucas school

I used to go to play centre at Harry Lucas in the Evening . It was Opposite Friends Hall in Farm St where they used to have The Band of Hope. My parents later became caretakers of Friends Hall. Unfortunately no photos.

Somebody please tell me if the photo that berniew has posted at #2575 on the "Old Street Pics" thread is the one you are looking for?

Don't know Burbury Street but here are the only 3 I can find if the school was close to the park they might have a partial view Burbury Street park Burbury stret rec 1950s.jpg

Yes pudding, it's the school on the left side of the aerial photo that Lyn posted I was just trying to get a better photo at ground level, but ot seems I am getting my Burlington's mixed up with my Burbury's.

Picture from #108 could be the playground of Burbury Street or of Gower Street. What is certain is that my brother Alf is standing in the middle; fantastic!

Picture from #108 could be the playground of Burbury Street or of Gower Street. What is certain is that my brother Alf is standing in the middle; fantastic!
Picture is 1913-1920! Could it be your Dad? Definately Burbury St , later Harry Lucas, School.

the other two houses were waring and corly as I remember , I thought the one was called masterton , not margerison ? . Margerison was a headmaster when my older sister was there in the early 50's , I was in garner in 1961 when I started harry lucas

the other two houses were waring and corly as I remember , I thought the one was called masterton , not margerison ? . Margerison was a headmaster when my older sister was there in the early 50's , I was in garner in 1961 when I started harry lucas

John - if I recall correctly? Garner was Red, Corley - Yellow, Masterson - Blue and Waring - Green? Mabz

Yes , Garner was Red but I can't remember what the other house colours were . I was there from 60 to 65 , they were the best years of my life . I have tried to get photos of Harry Lucas and also photos of Great King Street where I was born in 1950 , but I an not finding this site easy to navigate around , I guess it's lack of practice . This is the 3rd time I have typed this reply , but I keep pressing the wrong button and losing the message , I hope this gets through this time . If you want to exchange numbers and have a chat , just let me know ........... John Stone

Re: Products that have faded away

Has anyone got any photos of Harry Lucas school , anything whatsoever would be great . I would also love to see some photos of Anglesley st , especially the half below nursery rd

John as you can see we have really struggled for Harry Lucas School, you can find a few on Friends Reunited as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I don't know if I've got the right school (Harry Lucas), but a lady I knew taught (infants?) at a school in Farm St. in the 1950s and early 1960s. Her name was Mrs Audrey Haden (or Hayden?). She lived in in Perry Barr, then in Sutton Coldfield, her husband was an antiques dealer and they had a son called Richard. I've tried Friends Re-united but to no avail. Do any of you remember her?

Bryn Merig - Harry Lucas was a senior school, plus I dont remember anyone called Ha(y)den at Harry Lucas. So perhaps it was Farm Street School which was infants and juniors where she was.

Harry Lucas - Primary School in 1950s (Burbury St JI from 1941 to 1954) became Harry Lucas in 1954 and Secondary School in 1958
Farm Street - Primary School in 1950s and 1960s.

From British History Online:
HARRY LUCAS COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, BurburyStreet. Opened 1958 by Birm. C.B.C. as a M sch.in premises formerly occupied by Harry Lucas Cty.Primary Sch.(28) N.o.b. 1961: 230.(27)
HARRY LUCAS COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, BurburyStreet.(27) Burbury St. Bd. Sch. opened 1891 byBirm. Sch. Bd.(21) Accom. 992 M, I.(1) Fees 1d.–3d. (22) Manual instruction centre provided 1911.Altered and reorganized 1930, 1932 for SM, I. SMdept. closed 1941 and sch. reorganized for JI.(21)Name changed 1954. Accom. 1955: 15 classrooms,hall. Closed 1958 and premises occupied by HarryLucas Cty. Modern Sch.(28)
FARM STREET COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL. FarmSt. Bd. Sch. opened 1873 (23) by Birm. Sch. Bd.accom. 1,055 B, G, I. Fees 1d.–3d. (22) Nearly ½pupils had free orders 1889; all fees thereforereduced to 1d. Enlarged 1904. Bd. of Ed. demandedminor improvements 1912: 3 classes were then heldin I main room. Reorganized 1930 for M, I. I dept.closed 1933. Closed 1941.(21) Part used as civicrestaurant 1942–53, part by Dorrington Cty.Primary Sch. 1947–9. Reopened 1949 as JI sch.Accom. 1961: 14 classrooms, 2 halls.(28)
From: 'Public Education: Schools ', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 7: The City of Birmingham (1964), pp. 501-548.

I don't know if I've got the right school (Harry Lucas), but a lady I knew taught (infants?) at a school in Farm St. in the 1950s and early 1960s. Her name was Mrs Audrey Haden (or Hayden?). She lived in in Perry Barr, then in Sutton Coldfield, her husband was an antiques dealer and they had a son called Richard. I've tried Friends Re-united but to no avail. Do any of you remember her?

I will ask my sister who was at farm street (laterly named harry lucas) . I was there from 61 to 65 when it was called harry lucas , but my sister was there much earlier than me . I originaly have memories of my 1st day at school there around mid 50's in my infant years , but have absolutley no memories of anything other than i remember sitting on a desk in the main hall as i waited to be enrolled . I do know that the headmaster at the time was Mr Margerison , who my sister said was a very strict headmaster . He must have been there in my early years , but as i said , i have not a single memory other than my ist day there . I then moved to anglesley school sometime after starting farm street , and i remember marching there into a brand new block of classrooms (which are still there) . When i reflect on this , i can only assume it was when farm street changed over to a comrehensive shool , and my junior days then started at anglesley street . I then started harry lucas again in 61 and had lovely memories of my years there

Thank you all for the information.
Thinking back (50 years!), I remember a couple of friends of mine at King Edward's, Handsworth, had been taught by Audrey, and I think they used to say that they'd been at "Farm St. School", but I wasn't sure because schools were often referred to by the name of the road they were in - King Edward's was often "Rose Hill Rd"!
I'll try a post on the Farm St. threads, but meanwhile, does anyone remember the aforementioned 2 friends: Jaqui Bird, lived Farm St.?,where her parents (her Mum was Dorothy?) kept a shop, had a sister (unusual French? name), later moved to run a shop near Hodge Hill Common/Hunter's Moon pub; the other was Elaine Taylor, lived in a maisonette in Unett St.

Just remembered! Jaqui's Dad was Gordon Bird, and the Council moved them to a new shop near the Comet pub.

Last edited:
Bryn - I left Bloomsbury Street Junior School for Farm Street Junior in about 1960? I then went on to Harry Lucas Secondary School around 1063 and attended Harry Lucas until it was demolished to make way for St George's School.

At Farm Street, I fully remember Mr Berry, Miss Dueguard, Mr Williams and a vague memory of what I think was Mrs Hayden? If this is correct, she taught the second year pupils (what is now Year 3)?

Be intersting to find out if this is correct?

There is a photograph of the school football team (claret & blue - what else????) with Mr Williams on Freinds Reunited I think? Mayfield

Let me start again regarding farm street school , laterly called harry lucas . I was thrown by your comment regarding farm street / harry lucas , but in fact harry lucas was originaly called BURBERRY STREET and not farm street as quoted , it was only yards away from burbberry street . Farm street school was a a few hundred yards down farm street going towards hockley , and was directly opposite the corner of villa road . There was also a steep hill on the side of it where there was a church called st saviours (where i was christened in 1950)

Back