• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harold wood

My dad said, he remembers a busby in his dad's wardrobe and finding war medals in a drawer but he didn't know who they belonged to as his dad never mentioned being in the war. However Harold Charles did serve in the Coldstream guards in the MGC.
My grandfather was apparently a very good shot with the rifle when rabbit shooting.

Last edited:
My dad said, he remembers a busby in his dad's wardrobe and finding war medals in a drawer but he didn't know who they belonged to as his dad never mentioned being in the war. However Harold Charles did serve in the Coldstream guards in the MGC.
My grandfather was apparently a very good shot with the rifle when rabbit shooting, and he could twirl a batton extremely well. He played backgammon and did crosswords by the clock. He was very good at snooker and could drink very heavily, apparently he could also be quite an angry man.
I think it was Harold's Father Thomas Henry who served. There is a war pension record for him which names Harold as one of the children. He seems to have been a reservist after leaving the army. Then served in MGC in WW1. MGC disbanded in 1922.

Attachments

• Front cover T H Wood pension.jpg
    Front cover T H Wood pension.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The record is on ancestry but there are 11 pages to it including his Coldstream Guards info. If you want it send me a PM with your email address and I will email it to you.
Click on my name next to my avatar and then "start conversation". That connecton is private between the two of us.

This is the bit which names Harold
1694176854287.png

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
There is a Harold Charles Wood who served in MGC in WW1 but I don't think your Harold born 1903 would have been old enough to serve.

I would assume Mary (Marler) didn't marry William Timms because she and Harold never divorced, possibly meaning his marriage to Eleanor was bigamous.
William was also married - 1939 reg states he is married and there is a marriage with occupation matching in 1926. His wife, Elsie, appears to be alive not dying until 1985.

The record is on ancestry but there are 11 pages to it including his Coldstream Guards info. If you want it send me a PM with your email address and I will email it to you.
Click on my name next to my avatar and then "start conversation". That connecton is private between the two of us.
I have emailed the records.

Back