• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harold wood

Bluedownunder

proper brummie kid
How would I find the travelling fairs between 1920 and 1932 and any incident that may have occurred. Any thoughts appreciated.
Bluedownunder

Last edited:
It may be that this should have been a new thread as I don't think it relates to the person in the title of this particular thread.

There seem to be two possible births to use to help us trace your grandfather. Do you have any other firther info to help us?
1694094228275.png
The top one has parents Joseph and Alice and siblings Elsie and Aice. He is still in Birmingham in 1930 being listed on the eroll with his parents.

The other appears to be the son of Thomas and Annie and has siblings George, Ivy and Olive. George islisted on the 1911 census as George Nichols which appears to Annie's surname when she married Thomas. Annie is listed as spinster on the marriage.

Last edited:
Likely to be the Nichols one as the OP has also posted on a Nichols thread.

Mary is living at 36 Havelock Road in 1939 with a William H Timms, who she subsequently 'marries'. On a later ER she and William are on Booths Farm Road with her & Harold's daughter (Joan) and her husband.

For the question about travelling fairs and any incidents, apart from local newspaper reports and can't think there would be anything. Unless Joan has any descendants and they know more.

I did find that Mary in 1939 but wasn't 100% was waiting for info from the OP who from her tree on Ancestry seems to know all this. However, I can't see what name he uses nor who he "married".
I checked the newspapers but not many mentions of fairs and no-one I could pick out as being the right Harold Wood.

Last edited:
Good morning,
Sorry, we are in a different time frame. My Grandfather is the Nichols one.

Olives Eldest son has said.

Her other son said
" Harold Wood left Birmingham before he was born so pre 1936, Some serious issue with the fairground by Coventry road Smallheath."

Last edited:
Likely to be the Nichols one as the OP has also posted on a Nichols thread.

Mary is living at 36 Havelock Road in 1939 with a William H Timms, who she subsequently 'marries'. On a later ER she and William are on Booths Farm Road with her & Harold's daughter (Joan) and her husband.

For the question about travelling fairs and any incidents, apart from local newspaper reports and can't think there would be anything. Unless Joan has any descendants and they know more.
I had no idea about Joan, it would mean my dad has a step sister.

I have not been able to find birth details for Joan nor who she married.
I think you people are wonderful by the way. I searched for 6 years paying fees monthly to ancestry. It wasn't until 2 weeks ago I could confirm my grandfather had changed his name and carried such big secrets. My dad always said they thought he lied about his age. It seems so far that his age was his only truth.

I think this is her.

Name Joan M Wood
Registration Date 1925
Registration Quarter Apr-May-Jun
Registration district Birmingham S
Inferred County Warwickshire
Mother's Maiden Name Marler
Volume Number 6d
Page number240

I had no idea about Joan, it would mean my dad has a step sister.

Joan would have been your dad's half sister.

She married a George W Taylor, reg. Sep qtr 1948 Bham. She may have passed away in 2019.

There are a lot of Taylor/Wood children listed but if any of them are Joan and George's can't tell.

I would assume Mary (Marler) didn't marry William Timms because she and Harold never divorced, possibly meaning his marriage to Eleanor was bigamous.

The above all appears to tie in (Mary being with Joan on an ER was fortunate) but certificates may be needed to prove it for certain.

Oh gawd, I agree I couldn't find a divorce for Mary Marler. And from her side its pretty hard to divorce a man who has disappeared. I guess I'm back to trying to find out if the stories about why he left are true.

He was on the 1927 eroll with both parents (Father Thomas Henry wason the previous page). The address is that on his marriage cert to Mary.
1694170228111.png
That register was valid from 15 Oct 1927 but I don't know when it was taken.

By 1932 he is in Scotland "marrying". So we are looking at him leaving Birmingham between those dates.

Last edited:
To confirm the dob on Harold Wood's baptism matches the dob on John P Honor's details on 1939 reg.
Baptism at St Aidan's Small Heath on same day as George and Ivy.
1694171053251.png
1939 reg
1694171100023.png

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I agree, it has narrowed it down to 5 years.
My grandparents lived in Birmingham. I don't know the UK, but they were all in Birmingham.

Last edited:
I agree, it has narrowed it down to 5 years. My Aunt who has now passed would not pass on information that she had. We found out it was because she was conceived out of wedlock. Something frowned upon in years gone by but explained the wedding to my grandmother. Although personally I don't understand why he didn't divorce.
My grandparents lived in Birmingham. I don't know the UK, but they were all in Birmingham.
Divorce was expensive and with little checking up people often stated they were married when they weren't or lied on marriage certs claiming they were single.

He told my father he was of Irish decent and the story was that his birth certificate was destroyed in a fire. Which is maybe not a total lie.

This story is about Olive, his sister. In the story it does say the parents house was destroyed by fire

Sometimes when there's a family story why a person abandoned their spouse and children, it turns out to be made up just to cover up that they just left for someone else. Though it does seem a bit extreme to have a story about a stabbing if that was the case.

If Harold did stab someone then he probably thought it was too much of a risk to divorce as well.

Sometimes when there's a family story why a person abandoned their spouse and children, it turns out to be made up just to cover up that they just left for someone else. Though it does seem a bit extreme to have a story about a stabbing if that was the case.

If Harold did stab someone then he probably thought it was too much of a risk to divorce as well.
According to the family, ie his nephews who were kids at the time it was a shooting. But both said it happened at the fair. One Nephew is in the UK, and one in Sydney Australia. Both in nursing homes. So both stories are recollections from their childhood, but they matched

• Appreciate
It is all good. I am in no way offended, you both have been wonderful. It is hard to research it from Australia. And I only have other people's stories to go on

• Appreciate
So I do find it all a bit of a roller Coaster but they say the truth shall set you free, so now I'm wanting truth. What ever it may be. xx

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
I can well imagine. Everyone uncovers a surprise who two when looking it to their family, though usually not as surprising as yours. Sad about your brother.

Was Eleanor, Eleanor Bullough born Lancs?

Back