• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

hardware shop

josietrue

gone but not forgotten
does anyone know the name of the hardware shop that was near the flat hockley i think it was by key hill not sure
i brought a frying pan from there in 1966 and still using it today i have had meny more since
but none have been as good as my old one
josie

carolina not sure all i know it was in icknield street and i am sure it was near the flat key hill it used to have tin baths and pots and pans hanging out side i know i brought my kitchen things from there when i just got married
josie

I think it was possibly my mom and dad's shop. It used to be hardware on one side and a sweet shop/ newsagent on the other. I was very young at the time but do remember it. There was an albino chap who used to walk past and look in. I am sure he was lovely but he scared a 3 year old! The name of the shop was probably 'Blocksidge's' as that was the name of the one on Soho Road that they had too. They lost the shop when the area was demolished. Do you think that was the one??

not sure of the name but i do know it was near the flat key hill side of the road i am sure i have seen a photo of the shop somewhere
josie

Please post it if you ever find it. The shop was next to a dead end road called by locals as 'The Alley' where there were I think, back to back houses. I used to get sent by the older children to steal sweets for them...... as a very naïve 3 year old, I didn't see the harm at the time. I certainly did a short time later! My mum and dad inherited it from an old chap called Percy.

hi stash
the shop you are on about was on key hill up the hll and it was painted green and it was just before the sorting officeof the royal mail
yes there was an alley there as wel but cannot name the people and i know it was not on the ickneild street section ;
but definately on key hill its self but just next to the siorting office there was a gas selling shop come plumbers at the very top
the more i think about it it would have been on the opersite side to the sorting office just up past the cemetry gates on key hill it later became a little cafe sandwiches take away and it was a couple of doord from that one time tin pan shop in green was the little sweet shop
so if te exoerts have time to check that out they shouldfind the name you are loking for
have a nice day best wishes Astonian;;

Back