• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hanson family of birmingham

Christina

master brummie
.:) Doing family history, looking at the Hanson family who were born and lived mainly in Floodgate Street or the surrounding streets, many in the metal works industry. Loads of info to date, but would welcome anything from any members of the family, if they are out there. Looking from 1700's to now.

Hi Christina. My Gt. Gt. Grandfather Joseph Hanson lived in Floodgate Street.
I have him on the 1841 census living with his father Joseph and mother Hannah, together with his brothers and sisters.
What part of the Hanson family are you are related to?
Who knows, we may be distant cousins.
Best wishes
Diane

Hi Diane
Have you got any siblings christian names to your father or your great grand father as I knew of a Hanson family very well
And a little more info, would be a great help to our experts and I believe there is some handsome siblings living inweoly castle and Northfield today
And a older ones have been on here about six years ago from the Winston green quarter but since then we have lost a lot of work from hackers

Best wishes astonian,

Hello Diane, Thank you for your message. The Hanson born in 1787 in Birmingham (Floodgate Street) married Hannah Westwood (as shown on the1841 Census) are my 3 x great grandparents. Hanson is on my material line. My grandmother was Jane Elsie Hanson, also born in Floodgate Street. Did you notice it was spelt Anson? Are you on Ancestry? If you are, my Hanson family is on there. Happy to help if you need any more info. Regards Christina

Hi Astonian.
Firstly, i must apologise for not putting the correct name.
I meant my Gt. Gt. Grandfather was James and his father was Joseph.
James siblings were; Elizabeth, Ann, Joseph, Hannah , Clara, John, Samule, William, Moses and Charles.
James's father Joseph was married to Hannah Westwood.
James was a fender fitter, and i believe his father and some of his brothers were 'smiths.
Regards Diane.

Hi Christina. James Hanson was my Gt.Gt Grandfather on my grandmothers side.
My Grandmother was Ann Hanson, who married Samuel Grace.
Yes, i did notice that the name was spelt Anson on the 1841 census (which was very common in those days).
I am on Ancestry, so will take a look at your family tree.
If you have any photos or anymore information about the family, i would be most grateful.
Best wishes Diane

Hi Diane

No problem that you put Joseph instead of James. There are some Hanson photo's on my tree on Ancestry. The Anson thing is probably because of the letter H being dropped in the Birmingham accent! And of course not being able to read or write they couldn't check it. Always best to give different spellings when trying to trace ancestors, I've found lots of different spellings. There is quite a it of info on my tree, so have a look, you can always send a message via Ancestry as well as on here.

The smiths you've noticed on occupations are white smiths, making pewter, pots and pans etc.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Best Wishes
Christina

Hi Christina. Had a look at your tree, and how lovely that you have a photo of your grandmother, and gt grandmother.
I agree in that its always best to give different spellings when researching ancestors (have had a few incidences where i couldn't find certain surnames, only to find them under completely different surnames - Ancestry is quite notorious for this).
Well, it looks like we are distant cousins, through William and James being brothers!.
Are you the same Christina on the Streets thread? If so, what a coincidence, as we moved to Wheeleymoor Road, Kingshurst in 1956, and i had a friends in Withy Grove, and Kingshurst Way.
Best wishes
Diane

Hi Diane. Good to hear from you. Had a look through some of my certificates week end, and even the registry offices mispelt names! Have you tried the Birmingham Library registers on Ancestry? They are really helpful. If you copy over my Hanson family tree onto your tree, you will be able to see what relationship my grandma and great grandma are to you. I lived in Withy Grove for a good number of years! Now live in Shard End. Small world!!! Best Wishes Christina

Hi Christina, ginger, I'm an Anson with a dropped H! Just looking into this side of my family now. I currently have a problem with my Hannah Hansons - there are too many of them! My Hannah was born around 1822 and had parents Thomas and Hannah. I think this is a different line of Hansons to yours though. I have found 3 of them - born between 1822 and 1825.

Hi Diane

No problem that you put Joseph instead of James. There are some Hanson photo's on my tree on Ancestry. The Anson thing is probably because of the letter H being dropped in the Birmingham accent! And of course not being able to read or write they couldn't check it. Always best to give different spellings when trying to trace ancestors, I've found lots of different spellings. There is quite a it of info on my tree, so have a look, you can always send a message via Ancestry as well as on here.

The smiths you've noticed on occupations are white smiths, making pewter, pots and pans etc.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Best Wishes
Christina

Hi Christina
I have just joined this forum and noticed that some time ago you were looking for the Hanson family in Floodgate st Birmingham.My great,great grandad,John Hanson (married to Hannah Phillips) born 1827 and 1828 respectively lived at 3 floodgate st and in 1881 in 14 floodgate st .Both he and his son Henry Lewis were whitesmiths but understand that john became a licensed victualler.John's father was Joseph which I am currently tracking ( also a whitesmith ).Unsure of his birth date (1795-1803) and wife possibly Sarah.Also James Hanson was a witness at John and Hannah wedding ,2nd July 1849,possibly brother or uncle?Are you able to clarify?
regards
Frank (Francis hanson)

Hi Christina
not sure whether you can view my request above but if not I will summarise.My great grandad Henry Lewis Hanson born to John and Hannah ( Phillips) in 3 Floodgate St on 23rd March 1859.John and Hannah ,1827 and1828 respectively married 2nd July 1849.Both were Whitesmiths but looks like John was a licences victualler in 1881.His father joseph (1798-1803)?? Married to Sarah ?.John And Hannah had marriage witnessed by James Hanson.Brother or Uncle,yet to find out.Any link to you?
regards
Frank (Francis Hanson )

Hi Frank, thanksfor your note. Like you I'm on ancestry so please feel free to have a look at my Hanson clan. As you say you have to check spellings. Even on birth certificates etc they can be incorrect. I finally found my grandfather's birth, as his name was put down as Ridding and not Redding (he married a Hanson). I'll have a cbeck on my tree and come back to you on ancestry.
Kind Regards
Christina

Thanks christina
unfortunately I am not on ancestry,unless I can get to the library.I am on holiday next week so please use this site as I will still be on iPad.
thanks so much for coming back to me
regards
frank Hanson

Hi Frank

In case you wondered who the other person, namely Elizabeth Holmes, is which is on the marriage certificate of John and Hannah, she is the daughter of William Holmes and Elizabeth Hanson, and sister to John. Hope this helps. Regards Chris

Christina,
thanks for this info,it will help me to hone down on the correct Joseph married to whom?
any link to you ?
regards
Frank Hanson

Christina
thanks for the info on Elizabeth,presume his brother James was the other witness,This will help me find his father ( Joseph) details,including his wife through the baptismal records.
cheers Frank

Hi Astonian
my father John Henry lived castle Bromwich (known as jack) as his dad was John Henry (ward end) and faux hall rd,dude son mill.His father Henry lewis born 1859, one of nine children,.I am Frank with brothers Chris and les and sister Edna (Kinson).Mothers name Frances.Any help?
regards Frank

Hi Christina
it appears john and Elizabeth had father/ mother Joseph/Hannah with siblings James,Ann,Samual,William,Henry,And Moses. I have had difficulty tracing Elizabeth as she does not appear on 1841 census with family but probably married to William Holmes? Her birth about 1821 .was she the witness to john/ hannnah wedding in 1849 as her daughter would not be old enough.Can you help with any dates and where do you link in .Are you the readings tree?
thanks Frank

Hi Christina
you recently notified me that the Elizabeth Holmes on John Hanson and Hannah Phillips marriage lines was his sister Hannah Hanson.Can you shed any light on her birth date,father Joseph and mother Hannah (maiden name ?).It appears that Joseph may have been married to someone else before marrying Hannah in 1837.can you clarify please ?
regards Frank

Hi christina
i am confused as I cannot find any birth dates of Elizabeth and who were her siblings,parents Joseph and Hannah ?Can you help?
regards Frank

Lost relativeRe: Hanson f

I am in a log jam in my research as I cannot find Elizabeth Hanson (circa1817-1821) daughter to Joseph (born 1791 ).Also Joseph married Hannah in 1837 ,as a widow.Possibly his first wife was Elizabeth?Can anyone help
regards Frank

Elizabeth Hanson baptism 29th January 1816 St Martins parents Joseph and Ann.
married William Holmes in 1835

1851 census Floodgate Street
Elizabeth Holmes is a widow living with her children Robert, William,Richard and Elizabeth but also there is
Samuel Hanson age 22 , brother in law, this in those days could also mean stepbrother.

There is a marriage in 1814 of joseph Hanson and Hannah Westwood, the name Hannah is often referred to as Ann in early records.

Alberta,
thank you ,this may put me back on track and I may be able to find Joseph Hanson's parents.At the library tomorrow on ancestry.
redgards Frank

Back