• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth Kindergarten and Preparatory School

I was at HKPS ... Hot Kippers and Parsley Sauce ... from about 1956 - 1959.
It is good to read earlier posts and be reminded of the names of some of my classmates.
My mother taught there whilst I was there - Mrs Roberts.
Great 'playground' in reality a very large back garden.
I can remember busing it to Handsworth park to play cricket.
Mrs Bunn was killed in a car accident at the crossroads of Monmouth Drive and Chester Road - I believe.

Hi Jayell,
Handsworth Kindergarten and Preparatory School - what a mouthfull it seems now! The photograph was taken on the lower lawn in 1955 I think, and I have circled self and Carol who later was to become my better half (still is - I know my place!). Teachers :- Anti-clockwise (left) - Miss Boris & Mrs. Haselor - (top) Mrs. Bunn & Miss/Mrs. Power - far right Mrs. Fuller, the 'Busy Bees' collector. I can remember probably 2/3rds of the names in the photo.
View attachment 116012
Looking along the line you are in is: John F,?,Roger C, yourself, ?, Stephen B, Rob T (ME), Nigel F, Row below includes Wendy B,who started the same day as I did.

Hi. I'm looking for info (with photographs if possible) regarding a school I attended aged around 4 which would be 1957/1958. I lived on Heaton Street, Hockley and I know we took a short bus ride from what is now Hockley flyover, out of town up Soho Hill. I can't remember the road name the school was on and can only advise from an old photograph of my blazer school badge depicting HKPS. Thank You.

Hi Nigel. If you use the search facility for "HKPS", not titles only, this will lead you to an existing thread on Handsworth Kindergarten and Preparatory School. Hope this helps. Dave.

good grief. HKPS. I’ve cheekily used HKPS as a title only as I hit on the site. I witnessed the end of Mrs Bunn. Olive green uniform. Was then moved to Astwell prep.
if you folks take exception to my using HKPS as a handle I will change it straight away.

Sorry can't help with title, I was at HKPS left in about 1956
Tell us more about Mrs Bunn, car crash wasn't it?
RobT

what does HKPS stand for please..if it is a school the thread will be moved to the schools section of the forum

lyn

If it’s this school your thread can be merged with the earlier one. Viv.

If it’s this school your thread can be merged with the earlier one. Viv.

That's one of them
also these ones

Has anyone any information/records/photographs of this school which was in Park Avenue, off Park Road, Handsworth. Head Teacher was Miss Treglown with deputy, Miss G. Lewton. I think Park Avenue was off Park Road, where Soho College for Girls was. I was there from 1947 to 1958 and used to get there on the tram from Aston Church, Witton Lane where my parents owned the sweet and tobacco shop opposite the church. I am really looking for photos as I know a block of flats has now replaced this beautiful old house. I wish to complete my life history for my sons. Any help would be much appreciated.
I was searching for the private school in handsworth that my sister and I used to go to ,my sister left at the age of 11 in year 61ish ,I left in 60 as we moved and I wanted to go to the school ove4 the road from us .All I remember was it was near st michaels hill and was a big old house ? My sister was gaynor Hudson and I was Debby Hudson ,sounds very much like the school we went to ,did you find anymore details ? Would be very interested .

handsworth kindergarten

1945 Brian Vince
1946 Jimmy Innis I'm on the waiting list
1947 Judy Tuck
1950 Kay Shaw
1951 Pamela Cole
1951 Heather Dudley
1952 Colin Holmes
1954 Christine Smith (Smithy)
1955 Wendy Jones Finally retired
1956 Michael Arthur (Mike)
1958 Susan Dudley
1959 Roger Grainger
1959 Ken Haden
1960 Gaye Aspley
1961 Steve Bradbury
1961 John (Jean) Thierry
1962 Averil Atkins
1962 Valerie Horlick (Val)
1962 Gaynor Hudson
1962 John Park
1963 Norman David Crisp (Ned)
1964 Pete Flint
1964 Gillian Foster
1964 Linda Imms
1964 Suzanne Wilson
1967 Tina Pardoe
1967 Susan Pickering
1977 Sheela Kalsi (Sheela)
1982 Anita Sippits
1984 Samantha Penny
My sister and I went their ,gaynor Hudson and Debby Hudson ,I left age 7 as we moved and I wanted to go to the school ove4 the road from us !

I was searching for the private school in handsworth that my sister and I used to go to ,my sister left at the age of 11 in year 61ish ,I left in 60 as we moved and I wanted to go to the school ove4 the road from us .All I remember was it was near st michaels hill and was a big old house ? My sister was gaynor Hudson and I was Debby Hudson ,sounds very much like the school we went to ,did you find anymore details ? Would be very interested .
Hi Debby, I went to Handsworth Kindergarten until I was 7, then I went on to Soho College on Soho Hill. I wonder if this was the school you went to. It was on the corner of Soho Hill/Soho Avenue. It was just near St Michael's Church and backed on to what was then the Scout Hut and playground in front. I left Soho College in 1956 after spending a couple of years in the Commercial Dept learning shorthand/typing etc.

It could have been Astwell Private School (APS) on Hamstead Road up near the Villa Road end, that was two big old Victorian houses joined together?
The daughter of our neighbours across the road went there, early 60s.

Back