• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth Cemetery Private George Harold Faragher

Hughes

master brummie
Private George Harold Faragher died 1st March 1919 aged 19
He was buried 10th March
Using a web site Find a Grave.it gives plot:Screen Wall.8 2256
this means plot 8 grave 2256 but what does Screen Wall mean?
Regards
John Hughes

I have been to see section 8,it is all grassed over.I E mailed Handsworth Cemetery
They replied all the graves in section 8 are common graves(paupers),there are no markings at all.

Pollypops
What certificate? is it a death cert,if so what was the cause of death
Regards
John Hughes

I am not sure about Handsworth but at some other cemeteries a screen wall refers to the war memorial where names are listed on a wall. This means there is no grave. I assume the screen wall 8 refers to panel 8.
Janice

Screen wall means the panel on the War memorial - may not be a 'wall' as such but they keep the terminology for all sites.
Brian

If you go to the War Graves Photographic Project and enter G H Faragher in the search box it will give you some more information and you can order a copy of the photograph of the inscription. (No idea of the cost).
Janice

alas Janice
George was buried in a paupers grave and like all those buried in section 8 there is no head stone or any markings
to show were any grave is located.I travelled to Handsworth Cemetery to take a photo and returned empty handed.
there is no monument or any sort of visible record of anyone buried in section 8
Regards
John Hughes

Pollypops
Did you not see my reply to your message about the certificate for George.
Was it a death cert and if so what did he die of?
Cheers
John Hughes

John.
I don`t mean to poke my nose in, just trying to help, but if you click on the link that Pollypops has provided, and when that page opens click on the red box that says "see casualty records", this will bring up a list on which you will find George.
If you click on his name in the list, a page will open up offering you the option to "view certificate". It is this to which Pollypops was referring.
I`m afraid that you won`t find a cause of death there, but if he was listed with the C.W.G.C. then his death would have been WW1 related. Further, if he died in 1919 and is buried in this country, the most likely cause would have been "Died of wounds". Anyone killed over there was buried over there.
Hope this has helped, but further research on your man will be necessary to find out all the facts. Good luck.

alas Janice
George was buried in a paupers grave and like all those buried in section 8 there is no head stone or any markings
to show were any grave is located.I travelled to Handsworth Cemetery to take a photo and returned empty handed.
there is no monument or any sort of visible record of anyone buried in section 8
Regards
John Hughes

Section 8 is what is known as a public grave, these are in all cemeteries and hundreds were buried in them. The burial would have been the same as any other and the family would still have to pay for this burial. Some cemeteries do have stones with many names listed but the family would have to pay extra for this. There is no shame in these graves many families were very poor at this time, with often the "bread winner" being away at war and often killed in action. Most cemeteries will allow you to place a small marker in the area of the grave. I know many members have done this to take a photo of the area.

All CWWG listed people with no known grave should be listed on the War memorial or an adjacent 'screen wall'. I believe the one at Handsworth is currently hidden from view behind the 'safety' fencing surround the chapel, just in front of the office. Presumably this will be available to view again once the steeple is made safe.
It may be worth asking in the office for a quick view? Some Cemeteries do have a list of all the names listed upon the memorial.
You can get a copy of the Burial Register entry for people in Handsworth from www.bmsgh.org - If they have a pic of the name on the War Memorial, this is usually included.
Brian

You can just make out the CWGC Cross to the right of the Chapel. Should ne names around the base of those buried in unmarked graves within the Cemetery.
Brin

Many thanks for the link.
I have already made a copy of this from the internet.
It says in Memory of George Harold Faragher
Remembered with Honour
Birmingham(Handsworth) Cemetery
Commemorated in Perpetuity by
the Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Many thanks to all the help given to me in my searches

Pollypops
I have used this link and as you said it gives the details of George Faragher(Evans) and the certificate is not of death
but a very nice Certificate in Memory of Private G H Faragher,Remembered with Honour.Birmingham (Handsworth)
Cemetery Commemorated in Perpetuity by
the Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Thank again
Jh

Back