• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hands William C

dottieau

master brummie
Could I please ask for some help? I am trying to find the date of the marriage between.
William C hands b 1847 ...and Elizabeth Barrand b 1845
their 1st child was born in 1868
I have the birth certificate of their 6th child so I know this is the mothers name.
Thank you.

Re: William C Hands

there is a marriage in 1867 william hands to elizabeth wesson barrow.(or sarah ann ravenall)

birmingham apr-jun 6d 211

wonder if this is the one??

Thank you Shera and Lloyd
I have been looking at this one and keep going back and wondering could it be. I was waiting for the birth certificate to find the mothers name which turns out to be Barrand. Its almost as frustrating looking for Hands as I imagine Smith would be. Thanks again

Hi Shera, true brummie, I am new to this forum, just joined, and would very much appreciate any help, in finding out the birth date of my great grandfather, Joseph Hands, born Birmingham. Because of different ages given in census returns, I'm not sure of his birth year. Please could you help?

When he marries Caroline Manning in Oct 1890, in Shoreditch, London, his age is 22, is born in Birmingham, father is William Hands, a jeweller.
1901 census, living 4 Cavendish St, Shoreditch, with wife Caroline, his age is 30, is born Birmingham.
1911 census, living 95 Daubeney Rd, Clapton Park, Hackney, London, his age is 41, is born Birmingham.
When dies in 1934, Hackney, London, his age is 64.

1871 census, living 23 New John Street, Birmingham, William Hands, head, age 32, a jeweller, wife Sarah Hands, age 32, William, son, age 11, Albert, age 6 and JOSEPH HANDS, age 4.

Could this be my gt grandfather?? He would be born about 1867/68, not sure. I want to apply for his birth cert, but how will I know if I have the correct Joseph Hands??

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Joan Hands

Hi,these are births for 1860-1870 in Birmingham.When you order any certificate,you can stipulate that you only want it if the father's name is William.
Births Jun 1860
HANDS Joseph Aston 6d 224
Births Dec 1860
HANDS Joseph Benjamin Aston 6d 278
Births Dec 1861
HANDS Joseph Edwin Birmingham 6d 211
Births Jun 1864
HANDS Joseph Thomas Birmingham 6d 115
Births Sep 1864
HANDS Joseph Arthur Aston 6d 276
Births Mar 1865
Hands Joseph Birmingham 6d 15
Births Dec 1866
Hands Joseph Birmingham 6d 160
Hands Joseph Birmingham 6d 201
Hands Joseph W Birmingham 6d 153
Births Jun 1867
Hands Joseph Birmingham 6d 19

hello joan, this is a tough one. i have been trying to find the family on the censuses etc and igi. cant find any baptism which would have helped a lot.

the 1871 you have is the only one that seems to fit. in 1861 the same family were living in bromsgrove st. bham with son william 1.

then in 1881 theres a philip william hands, jeweller aged 42yrs with a new wife florence with joseph 13 and younger children leah 6, edith 4 and george 2 who would be the children of florence.

i had a look at family trees on ancestry and someone has your tree and has come to the conclusion that the above is the correct family, even though in 1881 william hands has become philip william hands.

they dont have a birth for joseph but the one which seems most likely is the 1867 apr-jun birmingham 6d 19.

i dont know why william would put philip in front of his name on the 1881 census but it could be correct. look at this census yourself to see what you think. the reference on the to "born kingsland" is a mistake in the transcription. it should be b. bham. sorry i couldnt be 100% sure on this one.

Hi Ladylinda, Many thanks for your very quick reply, it is very much appreciated. I will now apply for Joseph Hands birth cert, I will try 6d 15 and 6d 160. Where is the best place to apply for the cert, I have used GRO before, but I would like to receive it pretty quick, if possible now I am more confident, that I have hopefully found the correct Joseph Hands. Thanks again.

Joan Hands

i still think the 1867 one is more probable. if you apply to bham register office they are quicker than g.r.o. and they will check to see if father is william and not send it if it isnt :)

Hi Shera, Many thanks for your quick reply, help and advice, it's very much appreciated.

I have the 1881 census with Philip William Hands, and (new) wife Florence, (his wife was Sarah in 1871)? I have found out that when christened, at St Philips, in 1838, his parents being, William Hands (also a jeweller) and Mary Ann Probert. he was given that name, but later has been known as William Hands!! Just to complicate matters!!!! (I hope that is correct)!!

The only other source of info I have regarding Joseph Hands and his connection, to his parents being William and Sarah Hands (nee Roberts or Richards), both born 1838, is the address given on Joseph Hands marriage cert in 1890 is 77 Herbert Street, Shoreditch, London. Then I found in the 1881 census, a Sarah Hinds? maybe HANDS, age 43, living at this same address. It states she is married, and is a visitor, and born in Birmingham, she is living with a George Gribble, age 61, born Exeter, Devon. Could this be Josephs mother?? As her husband is now with his new wife Florence in 1881??

I will now apply for Josephs birth cert, as I feel more confident that I have the correct person, thanks to your help and advice, and also thanks to Ladylinda for sending registrations for him.

Your help is very much appreciated, many thanks again.

Joan Hands

yes i think you are right joan. ive had a look at the original of sarah hinds and it does say hands. couldnt find a marriage of william hands to new wife florence either. perhaps sarah and son joseph decided to get away from william and so moved to london!

Hi Shera, Please could you help me as I am so disappointed. I applied for my gt grandfather, JOSEPH HANDS, birth cert at GRO two weeks ago and received a letter today, saying that they could not find him. I paid for a search for 3 years, from 1 Jan 1867 to 31 Dec 1869. I stated that his father was William Hands, a jeweller and his mother maybe Sarah or possibly Florence. I definitely know his father is William Hands, from Josephs marriage certificate. He married Caroline Manning on 12 Oct 1890, at St John the Baptist Church, Hoxton, Shoreditch, Middlesex. He was aged 22 when married. His occupation is, a glove cutter.

You mentioned before that Kingsland is a mistake, on the 1881 census. But could this possibly be Kingsland, which was in the Shoreditch area of London?? So I'm now thinking was he born in Shoreditch, London. He is such a mystery, as in the census returns of 1901 and 1911, when living in Shoreditch, then Hackney, his age differs. I have been searching for him for over 2 years, so I am getting desperate for any help or advice you could give me. I would be very grateful. Thank you.

Joan Harvey (nee Hands)

hi joan, didnt you say previously that william hands was previously known as philip william hands as stated on the 1881 census? if that is correct - he was still calling himself philip william in 1881 so no doubt he called himself philip when joseph his son was born in abt 1868. so maybe the birth cert is philip hands as father with mother either sarah or florence.

also the kingsland is definitely incorrect. on the original 1881 census it was the family next door who had the wife coming from kingsland hereford, then it had been dittoed but crossed out. definitely says born birmingham for all members of the hands family.

if you told the register office the father was definitely william they would have discounted the cert. if it had father philip.

i would also apply to birmingham register office for the cert rather than gro. hope you have more luck next time!

Hi Shera, Thanks for your reply. I did tell GRO that Josephs father may have possibly been Philip William Hands. So now I'm thinking, maybe he was born 1866. In the 1871 census, when living 23 New John Street, Birmingham, Joseph is age 4. Parents are William and Sarah. Siblings are William age 11 and Albert age 6. Their are so many "HANDS" from Birmingham, especially "JOSEPH" and "WILLIAM" it gets so confusing. It's also strange that I can't find a baptism for Joseph Hands, but I shall not give in, I will keep searching. thanks again for your help.

Joan Harvey (nee Hands)

oh i see, in your post you said you told them that the father was definitely william. i still would have gone for the 1867 apr-jun birmingham 6d 19 birth. but its possible it was 1866 too. i have looked again for a christening but no good. sorry i cant help other than guess work. if it doesnt cost too much try again asking birmingham register office to check for you. i thought they would look at one year either side for no charge but i may be wrong there. just make sure you do state father could be philip. if money wasnt a problem you could try sending for one of the other childrens birth certs.

Thanks Shera for your help and advice, I will try Birmingham Register Office this time.

Joan Harvey (nee Hands)

Hi Alberta, Many thanks for the info, I believe these are my gt gt grandparents, but, William Hands is Philip William Hands (if these are the same people).

I have just received my gt grandfathers birth cert, after searching for almost 3 years and I am over the moon!!!

He is Joseph Walter Hands, born 16 Sept 1866, at 23 New John Street, Birmingham.
It states, his parents are Philip William and Sarah Hands (formerly Richards).
Fathers occupation, a Jeweller Journeyman

So thanks again for the marriage info, I now intend to apply for their marriage cert and maybe birth cert also.

Are you related to the HANDS family?

Bye
Joan

Back