• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HANDS in Aston, Handsworth, Ladywood and ???

Wine Lover

knowlegable brummie
Hi

My HANDS have been moving. :redface:

I originally thought they had stayed in Worcestershire. But I have found that since the 1850s some have been escaping... They can now be traced to Aston, Handsworth and Ladywood, and possibly elsewhere.

If anybody with any HANDS connection would care to contact, you may find a tree going back 400 years. Failing that I have several contacts who may be able to help.

Kind regards

Mike

Archie - Albert Hands
Kept Racing Pigeons In Springfield Street Lady wood B,ham 18
For Years And When He Retired He Done A Little Window Cleaning Round Around The Block Of King Edwards Rd EventualyHe Got So Old And Couldnt Look After Him self
So He Went Into The Summer Hill Nursing Home At The Sand pitts , B,ham, Where Upon
After A Short Time He Was Murdered By The Superitentant Of The Establishment
And He Was Charged With The Murder Of Old Man Hands Whom Was Old With Age
And This Case Was Covered By The EVENING Mail We His Neiboures Was Out Raged

across the street from me in glendower road perry barr lived norman hands and i think his wife was called evelyn. mrs hands died about 5 ago and norman was very frail but still looked after himself but unfortunately he had a fall and never really recovered and died about 18 months ago. lovely couple and sadly missed from the neighbourhood.

chris

Evening,

Re: Archie - Albert HANDS

I have only one known Albert in my tree. Albert born around 1873 in Bromsgrove. Plus, probably not one of mine, Albert born 1862. There may be more????

What year was the story please?

Mike

hello mike

i think he must have been born early 1920s.

he loved playing snooker right up to his death and went regularly to the barn social club to play there. maybe other forum members may know him from there.

chris

Hello Mike, My wife had a Gran living in Aston prior to 1901,ANNIE LOUISA HANDS[Maiden name] she married WILLIAM EDWARD HARRIS around this time,after seeing your post I thought I would ask if anyone else has a connection,they finished up living in Coventry about 1910??
Allen

Hi Allen,

I found an Annie L. HANDS in the 1891 census living at No. 3 Back 5 Gerard Street, Aston Manor, Parish of St.Paul was 9 years old. Father John was 55 and a widower. Brothers Ernest H 14 yrs and Walker 12 yrs.

There is absolutely no guarantee this is the right family. Ask the family and dig out old photos for clues. Walker as a first name may help.

If you need help - just ask.

Mike

Many thanks Mike,my wife is registered on the forum. Having been researching my Williams [Welsh]since 1973 I am just about complete,so I thought that I would try to help her,I had to start once!!!!

If anyone has connections with SOUTH MARSTON in WILTSHIRE[family wise]maybe I can help to repay the help from forum members with regards to my own Williams who lived there in BRUM through the years.

Hello Polly,

Sorry Harold isn't known to me. :( Yet!

Can you give me some details: Age, year and place of birth and, if possible, some census data. Then I'll do a bit of digging.

Kind regards

Mike

And there was me thinking you would be able to give me some info! All I know is that he lived somewhere round John Street West area. His wife, Dora (my gt aunt) was born in 1894, so perhaps he was born around the same time, I don't think there was a huge difference in age. I do know that in the 1950's he lived in Brays Road, Sheldon, but after then we lost touch.

Polly

Hi Polly

Harold E Hands married Dora Jefcoate 1920 (you probably have this)

In the 1918 Birmingham absent voter's list there is a Harold Edwin Hands, regimental number 11994, Pte, Nasrich Hos, Cairo, RAMC. Ancestry has his medal card reg no: 11944/3099 Royal Warwickshire Regiment, Royal Army Medical Corps with medal awards for the Victory and 15 Star. He is living at 2 Bartons Bank, Lozells Ward.

In 1920 at the above address is:
Albert & Ellen Gertrude Banner & James William & Harold Edwin Hands.
In 1930 Harold & Dora Hands are back 93 New Town Row
By 1950 Dora Hands is at 438 Brays Rd, (no Harold it seems after 1939) Sheldon with presumably her son John H Hands (b1923 mmn jefcoate also there is a birth for a Ethel D Hands b1921 both in Kings Norton.)

Hope this helps

Suzanne

I have no further Info, but I do know when we lived at 173 Tower Road ASTON, A Mrs Hands lived not to far from our house.It may pay you to look up addresses in that area,this wpould be around 1949/62

Polly

There's a birth for a Harold Edwin Hands 1891 AMJ quarter Bham reference 6d 162

This could be him and his parents, siblings in 1901 census living at 121 Lombard Street, Aston.

James Hands B1856 Bham Head - warehouseman - hosiery
Mary Hands B1855 Bham Wife
Elizabeth Hands B1890 Bham Daughter - clerk - brassfounders
John Hands B1885 Bham Son - rule polisher (weigh)
Charles Hands B1887 Bham Son - errand boy (lamps)
Harold Hands B1892 Bham Son
Joseph Hands B1894 Bham Son
Annie Hands B1896 Bham Daughter
The James William Hands I mentioned in the previous post may not have been born yet as there is a probable birth for him in 1902.

Suzanne

Thanks for all the postings on this subject, particuarly from Suzanne. I am amazed and delighted, I did not expect anything like this. I remember Dora very well, I don't remember Harold, but if he died in 1939, that is why. I remember John, he had, I think, a club foot or something like that.

Many many thanks

Polly

AllenW. For info there was a small manufacturing jewellery company called Hands and Williams in Frederick Street but I dont think they are there now - coincidence with the names:)

Thank you Carollynn. It's nothing I know about, Dora and her husband were certainly not well off, so I doubt it was anything to do with him.

Polly

Hi Polly,

Sorry didn't have time last night - very slow broadband! :cry:

Given that Suzanne has the right fella, then I have him in the 1911. The address is now 138 Hampton Street, Birmingham - parish of St. George. His mum had died, so James William, brass founder's warehouseman, was left a widower.

Harold Edwin, aged 19, was making packing cases. All Harold's siblings had left home, except Ellen Gertrude (28 yrs) who by then had married Albert BANNER (30 yrs). Albert was from Sheffield. Lily Elsie BANNER was aged 2 yrs and born in Birmingham.

The additional Info on the 1911 tells us that Ellen had been married for 3 years and had 2 children, of which, one had died.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike

Thank you very much indeed. I was not expecting anything like this, I have been bowled over!

Polly

Hi Suzanne & Polly

Elizabeth Hands B1890 Bham Daughter - clerk - brassfounders
Suzanne

I have just had a look at the 1901 again, since the only likely family in 1891 I can find had an Elizabeth aged 9. If, in 1901, she was aged 19, rather than one, then her position in the table is correct.

1891 RG 12/2375 Folio 101 Pg1
62 Bromsgrove St. (just off the A38 Bristol Road.)

James 25, Haberdasher's warehouse Man
Mary 35
James F 16, Toilet maker (added later "Cott")
William 14, Cycle Maker
Alfred 10
Elizabeth 9
John 6
Charles A 3

Cheers

Mike

Me again Polly,

If you use Ancestry.co.uk (Ancestry.com with world connections) they have recently started tagging search names with saved census pages.
Under Member Connect some even have publicly viewable family trees. Contact is via secure personal messaging. (To the right of the census page).

On the 1881, for James who is at home, there are two such contacts.

You can subscribe to the message boards and see the Public trees for free.

Always worth a go as some people have stuff not on their public trees.

Additionally, if you can get back to 1851, then I run a HANDS research website for contacting other researchers:

HANDS research site: https://yourhands.awardspace.com/

Good luck & just ask if you get stuck

Mike

Thank you very much Mike. I don't think I want to go too far back as he only married my gt aunt, but I do always like to get to grips with what sisters and brothers did, as it does help clarify some things they did. Moving to a different area, etc. I totally lost touch with my Hands family after 1959 and my grandmother moved from 430 Brays Road, Sheldon (four doors away from her sister), but it would be nice to get in touch again.

Very many thanks

Polly

Hi Mike

I am researching the Hands family for my sister who married Robert Hands and whose grandfather was John Alfred Hands born 1875 in Aston so I will enjoy viewing your website with great interest.:)

hi

my hands have been moving. :redface:

I originally thought they had stayed in worcestershire. But i have found that since the 1850s some have been escaping... They can now be traced to aston, handsworth and ladywood, and possibly elsewhere.

If anybody with any hands connection would care to contact, you may find a tree going back 400 years. Failing that i have several contacts who may be able to help.

Kind regards

mike
hello wine lover,
ref hands,if this is any help in my family three.
Samual hands born 1811-1869
wife ann 1815-?
Children
mary ann 1832
married 1855
james domney
lived in birmingham and aston
may not be of any use,but you never know.
Kind regards.
Alan

Hi Everyone
Dont know if the thread Hands in Aston is still alive but I have been trying to find a Polly Hands who may have married a John greenway in Aston 1879. Her real name might have been Mary Hands born about 1860. For some reason I cant find her after this possible marriage.John Greenway married again in 1896 so I assumed she had died. Its possible she had a daughter Mary about 1893. Any ideas.
Lesg128

hi shortie
with out throwing things into a disaray i have just relized during the years of the said archie hands from spring field street ladywood
there was anthoer hands by the name of harold whom lived in barker st ladywod he was an old chap whom lived on his own in a very small house in barker street
as i seem to recall even thou he worked at a place calles radex limited years and he was past retireing age he was abit of a wealthy man
just working to keep himself active and strangly enough him and this archie fellow whom i knew as mr hands on the corner from our house in ladywood
was the same size in stature both little men in height may be he was one of the family whom worked in the lamp bussiness
as radex was also an electric applience company that made electric fire switches of all electric componnets as well as lamps so that could be part of the family trait
if you get my drift and he always wore a grey suit at work i used to talk to this guy every day and also my oldest brother whom was on the company maintenance team around the factory for years we both worked there it may be worth a little bit to remember best wishes astonian

i can see them in 1881 boarding with the allington family in 208 francis st. aston

john greenway 23 gen. labourer b. aston
polly greenway 22 born aston.

i will try to find them in 1891.

Hi Shera
Yes I have them in 1881.Believe that John Greenway wed Polly in MarQ 1879 Aston.
Also have John Greenway marrying Emma Jane Green 9-11-1896 St Oswalds. But no sign of Polly's death.
I have been told that the name for Polly could also be Mary.
I have no idea who Polly's family were.
lesg128

Back