• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hall Green Library

DAJ

knowlegable brummie
I'm looking for information relating to the area occupied by Hall Green Library and the buildings behind the library on the Stratford Road. I understand that the land was occupied by a garden nursery and owned by the same family for a number of years before the nurseries were sold off and the land built on. Does anyone remember the area?

Also, what is now Waitrose was, apparently, a cinema some time ago. Did anyone visit the cinema?

Thanks.

Waitrose is where Robin Hood Cinema was. I remember going there as a teenager - not too long ago (in my dreams anyway).

I'm looking for information relating to the area occupied by Hall Green Library and the buildings behind the library on the Stratford Road. I understand that the land was occupied by a garden nursery and owned by the same family for a number of years before the nurseries were sold off and the land built on. Does anyone remember the area?

Also, what is now Waitrose was, apparently, a cinema some time ago. Did anyone visit the cinema?

Thanks.
As a young boy I went to the Robin Hood cinema many times when I stayed with my grandparents who lived in Trittiford Rd., Billesley. The reason being was that my Auntie worked there and my Uncle, her younger brother and only 5 years older than me, and I used to get in for free and most times get a free ice cream from her during the interval. Aaah Happy days!

Old Maps show the land before building. Library appears to have been built in the early 1960s. The red marker is where the library now is.

Attachments

• 1904 H G Library.JPG
    1904 H G Library.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 17
  • 1916 H G Library.JPG
    1916 H G Library.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 1937 H G Library.JPG
    1937 H G Library.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 1953 H G Library.JPG
    1953 H G Library.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 14
Old Maps show the land before building. Library appears to have been built in the early 1960s. The red marker is where the library now is.
Thanks again. Fascinating images which highlight the nursery perfectly. It would appear that nursery owners sold a fair amount of land because the library is some distance from the actual nursery. All I need now is the name of the nursery.

The 1904/16/37 maps show a place called Kyotts Lake in the sw corner of the maps. Interesting as Kyotts Lake Road is a couple of miles to the north near Camp Hill.

The 1904/16/37 maps show a place called Kyotts Lake in the sw corner of the maps. Interesting as Kyotts Lake Road is a couple of miles to the north near Camp Hill.
I noticed the lake, but that land was consumed in house building.

1940 Kelly's provides an answer. As well as the nursery the same surname appears twice more.

Attachments

• Kelly's.JPG
    Kelly's.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 17
1955 e roll (last on Ancestry) had Alfred h, Lily and George living at 1235. Alfred died in 1955. I wonder if this was when the land was sold??

Attachments

• Alfred Henry.JPG
    Alfred Henry.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 3
1955 e roll (last on Ancestry) had Alfred h, Lily and George living at 1235. Alfred died in 1955. I wonder if this was when the land was sold??
Thanks very much. 1955/6/7 could well have been when the land was sold. The library was opened in 1962.

As I am going to Hall Green Library tomorrow I will look in their Hall Green section of the Local History shelf and see if anything might help.

There is no Lake there. The 1892 Kellys lists Kyotts Lake house on Cole Bank Road. On the map it is just listed as just Kyotts Lake (the house is to the right of the wording). Shou;ld not be confused with the Kyotts Lake Hous ein Grafton Road, which was the centre of a "Dynamite plot " in 1884 by Fenians. The house was renamed Cambrai house in WW2.

Birm gaz.30.6.1950 kyotts lake house.jpg

There is no Lake there. The 1892 Kellys lists Kyotts Lake house on Cole Bank Road. On the map it is just listed as just Kyotts Lake (the house is to the right of the wording). Shou;ld not be confused with the Kyotts Lake Hous ein Grafton Road, which was the centre of a "Dynamite plot " in 1884 by Fenians. The house was renamed Cambrai house in WW2.

View attachment 132996
Thanks.The plot thickens. The history of the house sounds very interesting. It was obviously never saved. I wonder why?

Have borrowed a couple of books of postcards and photos - one fell open at a photo of the nurseries pre 1920. Different surname - will scan and post if I can later. (I have to say that as builders are in at home and things a bit messy). :joy:

Have borrowed a couple of books of postcards and photos - one fell open at a photo of the nurseries pre 1920. Different surname - will scan and post if I can later. (I have to say that as builders are in at home and things a bit messy). :joy:

Thanks again.

Thanks.
yes i did quite a lot in 1969/1970

The nursery was Wm. Sanford & Co who had premises and land adjoining Stratford Road near Colebank Road. In the 1920s they moved to St Agnes nursery, Billesley. (another to look up but wonder if it is anywhere near the allotments which exist today?)

Thanks. So I wonder who owned the nurseries into the 1950s and who were the Bevins?

Re post #22 I have an image of the Sanford Nursery in 1905. Don’t know if it’s the same as the one you’ve come across Janice but here it is. Looks like a sizeable concern and it had some serious investment looking at the glasshouses. Not sure what exactly the structure in the centre of the image is, the one with the chimney, but I guess it’s connected with the heating system for the glasshouses. So they were probably raising some less readily available plants at the site. Viv.

3AEFCAB9-31F7-4086-B9B6-2ED8D134C78C.jpeg

Tha
Re post #22 I have an image of the Sanford Nursery in 1905. Don’t know if it’s the same as the one you’ve come across Janice but here it is. Looks like a sizeable concern and it had some serious investment looking at the glasshouses. Not sure what exactly the structure in the centre of the image is, the one with the chimney, but I guess it’s connected with the heating system for the glasshouses. So they were probably raising some less readily available plants at the site. Viv.

View attachment 133023
That looks big!! Thanks.

Back