• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

H.B.Oldacres,

jpsmyth

master brummie
HI, I'm trying to get hold of some photos of my Great Grand fathers shop which was known as "H.B. Oldacres" also any background information would be appreciated. I know it was some kind of hardware / builders merchants, my great grand father was called Hubert Owen Oldacres - I'm keen to understand the H.B.Oldacres as obviously that doesnt match his initials so I would assume its his fathers or perhaps an older generation.

There are a couple of articles mentioning (1940s) H B Oldacres at 45 Alum Rock Road, Hubert's father appears to be a Thomas Owen and possibly his father was Thomas also.

The 1955 Kelly's says Oldacres H.B. Ltd were at 41, 43 & 47 Alum Rock rd but 45 was a Self Service wash

alumrockrd.jpg

You might have some luck with photos of Alum Rock Road, there are a few around.

Have you traced your Oldacres because there seems to be something interesting?

Hi, I'm tracing simply for family research but I gather Hubert was a very wealthy draft Dodger which is interesting in its own right.

Here is a map of 45 Alum Rock Road from 1950, as you can see there is a space between it and 39. Space for a builder's yard maybe?

0 - Alum Rock Road.jpg

Hi, I'm tracing simply for family research but I gather Hubert was a very wealthy draft Dodger which is interesting in its own right.

That is interesting. Looking for Hubert's father Thomas seems to have revealed some interesting things also, possibly that he was an Owen and not an Oldacres (which may already know).

Another thread I'm trying to pull..... My Great grand Aunt lived at 171B Bordesley Green, East - any photo links?

Owen, again interesting as the name features as a middle name. As a possible link I've found a Florence "Owen" Oldacres which may well be Hubert's sister

I must have walked past it hundreds of times in the 70s and 80s but I can't remember it, though I was only young.

Interesting turn, it appears my Great Grandfather had multiple shops. See the advert below:

Attachments

• HB Oldacre Advert and Harlew - Birmingham Mail - Friday 19 November 1971.jpg
    HB Oldacre Advert and Harlew - Birmingham Mail - Friday 19 November 1971.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 1
Owen, again interesting as the name features as a middle name. As a possible link I've found a Florence "Owen" Oldacres which may well be Hubert's sister

I think that Hubert's father was Thomas Jabez H Owen, the son of John and Ann Owen. After John's death Ann 'marries' Thomas Goddard Oldacres.

In 1861 he & his brother James are lodgers with the Owens, in 1881 only Thomas is with them and in 1891 Thomas (listed as Goddard) is a boarder of Ann (now a widow).

I think that Hubert's father was Thomas Jabez H Owen, the son of John and Ann Owen. After John's death Ann 'marries' Thomas Goddard Oldacres.

In 1861 he & his brother James are lodgers with the Owens, in 1881 only Thomas is with them and in 1891 Thomas (listed as Goddard) is a boarder of Ann (now a widow).

Just like the ancestors of Herbert Hall in your other thread, the Oldacres have been really tricky to pin down. There seem to be a more than average number of variations (dates/place & names) and then there's some strange goings on.

I'm now not sure I'd like to say who Thomas Owen/Oldacres' father was. As mentioned, Thomas Oldacres (elder) appears to have been a long time lodger of John and Ann Owen. Thomas was the illegitimate son of Mary Ann Goddard, registered as Thomas Oldacres Goddard, and she went on to marry a William Oldacres but even there (though likely) I'm not sure that he is Thomas' father.

Anyway, Thomas Owen married Ann Garner and by 1871 they had had 2 daughters and were living together in Nechells. Moving on 10 years they are living on Cromwell St and not only are there 3 more children there are 2 lodgers as well - Thomas and James Oldaker.

The eldest of the new children is registered as Walter Ernest Goddard Owen and the youngest as Florence Beatrice Goddard Owen. Why would you name children after a lodger? However, the middle child has no Goddard, registered as Thomas Jabez Howard Owen. What if anything does the omission of Goddard mean? Also, there appears to be a Herbert John (no Goddard) not sure what happened to him and after Florence dies young there are 2 more Florence Beatrice Goddard Owen registrations (the first of those dying young also).

Moving on to 1891 Ann is a widow and all the children are listed as Owen, Thomas is listed as Goddard and a boarder.

1901 Thomas is living in Erdington with Thomas and Florence - all listed as Oldacres - and with them is Agnes (one of Ann's elder daughters) and her family. Not sure where Ann is.

1911 Thomas and are listed as Oldacres, head and wife.

So not sure what to say (not that you asked :) ), though there is a family tree on familysearch that has confused Thomas, father of Hubert, with a completely different Thomas Owen Oldacres (coincidently born about the same time). And if anyone else can shed light on it, great.

Wow, a lot to process. I'm trying to learn from my mistakes and throughly verify before moving forwards. Frustratingly slow but that said very rewarding when links are made.

Thanks ever so much for your help it makes me feel behind the curve!

Sorry, last thing then. Just found a marriage for Thomas and Ann in 1891 at St Batholomew, Edgbaston. He is listed as Thomas Oldacres Goddard.

Here is a map of 45 Alum Rock Road from 1950, as you can see there is a space between it and 39. Space for a builder's yard maybe?

View attachment 173314
It was a hardware store named H B Oldacres,the archway was whete the cars/ vans were kept. He owned another shop a couple of doors up ( think number 41) that sold fireplaces.

Back