• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Guildford Street

Brianbrum

master brummie
Hi all early last year before lockdown I was browsing through our local library and found a book called the girl from Guildford Street which is probably well known to the members of this group. Well living at villa cross from 1951 to 1963 it was a real treat to know everywhere she went and to really understand what she was about. I live in Abergele in North Wales so I was shocked to be told by the librarian that the author lived in the same area! I know she is on Facebook but I don't do social media but it would have been nice to have a chat

welcome to the forum brian...if you use the search box i am sure you will find plenty on here to interest you...could i ask where you lived...i was in villa st from 58 to 72

lyn

Hi yes of course I lived in Radnor Road which ran along the rear of the the picture house along to hampstead Road I lived there from 1951 to 1963 when we moved to Erdington.

Hi yes of course I lived in Radnor Road which ran along the rear of the the picture house along to hampstead Road I lived there from 1951 to 1963 when we moved to Erdington.
ahh yes i think i remember you posting some time ago...you most likely know this but we do have a thread for villa road

lyn

Hi, we also have another Guildford Street thread with 29 pages so far which includes details and posts by the Girl from Guildford Street -

Hi, we also have another Guildford Street thread with 29 pages so far which includes details and posts by the Girl from Guildford Street -

Hello Guildford Street. I am new to the site and tracking my family. On Brummy- lads photos I think I found where my mother was born in 1916, it was 16 Guildford terrace,Guildford Street. On the photo and map of eden place there is a building on the front of number 16 can anyone help with this, and any names please.

regards
chin up

Not certain which map you're referring to but I (tentatively) think that Guildford Terrace was at times listed as court no. 12 (not uncommon). Some families seem to be in the same place in 1881 & 1891, listed at Guildford Terrace in 1881 but court 12 in 1891. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but here's a map from 1950...

0 - Guildford St.jpg

Thank you for the map , I’m finding this very confusing, but I’m sure things can only get better as the song says.
Regards
chin up

This the map I was looking at, and picture of 16 Guildford street,the birth certificate was saying 16 Guildford terrace, Guildford st, so I may not have a picture of my mothers birth place after all. Thank you for your help.
regards
chin up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
what we need is a photo of no 152 guildford st because to the side of it on the map posted by mws you will see a long passageway which would have led to no 16 guildford terrace...we do have a very long thread for guildford st with lots of old photos so you may want to look...

lyn

The third photo on post #277 - from Gerrard St - just about shows the entrance to Guildford Terrace. It's the gap after the second building (156 & 154) with the small white sign on it...

Back