• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Guildford Street Lozells

• Thread starter Thread starter aewayne
  • Start date Start date
These 3 images are not at present on the map,
www.leroux.co.uk/aston
they are under the Geach Street thread but I thought that they should be included her, I will add them to the map when I next upload images.

Attachments

• guildford-st32.jpg
    guildford-st32.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 37
  • guildford-st33.jpg
    guildford-st33.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 38
  • guildford-st34.jpg
    guildford-st34.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 37
Hi Michael, can you help identify this image, do you think this image could be the rear of Nos. 20 & 22? looking at the building next door (3 storey) the height difference appears to be the same on the front and rear view. I don't think it was taken in the barracks.

Attachments

• geachst-or-guildfordst.jpg
    geachst-or-guildfordst.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Image7.jpg
    Image7.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 22&20guildfordst.jpg
    22&20guildfordst.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 41
I have pointed out this before, in a sense these were in Geach Street or close to it but they are photographs of houses in "The Barracks" - a court behind 26 Guildford Street.
The first photo, 32, is a row of houses in the court whose back walls ran along Geach Street. See photo of Geach Street here and you can see the back view

Attachments

• geach%20st%20from%20guildford%20st-2.jpg
    geach%20st%20from%20guildford%20st-2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 27
I understand the 3 pictures in the barracks thanks to your previous posts. The image in post #572 I cannot work out the location, was the area behind Nos. 20 and 22 also referred to as the barracks?

before i repost all of my missing photos and tidy up this thread i am posting this one first for new member geoff astle to look at...geoff this shot show numbers 132 to 156 so the gap with missing houses is where no 142 would have stood and where 8 members of your astle family sadly lost their lives at 4/142 during the air raids of ww2 there was also deaths at nos 140 and 144 so that gap is where the 3 front houses stood..bit busy now so i will re post all the other photos later on..just as an aside to this very sad story here are the accounts of what happened in the guildford st air raid surrounding no 142 and the back houses

The major incidents occurred when a High Explosive bomb exploded in Guildford Street, demolishing about 16 back to back houses and a number of people were trapped in the cellars under the debris, after which a fire broke out above them.

lyn

View attachment 112481
Astoness - amazing, I never knew the reason behind the 'garage block' at the opening to Gladstone Terrace. We lived at 29/146 from 1964 to 1968.

To Brummie lad - in post #572 i don’t recognise picture 1 as Guildford Street. Picture 2 shows on the far left 30 and 28 then to opening to the Barracks, then 26 where I lived, then 24 , Rudhalls shop as was, ( my family and the Rudhalls had left when this picture was taken). The Barracks were behind 24 to 39 who had back gardens (then the Baracks).
you can see that on the map

john i have pic 1 post 572 location geach st...i got this from the library along with the other geach st photos i posted

lyn

Re: guilford street lozells

Picture005.jpg
Thinking this was the barbers shop on the corner

Thinking this was the barbers shop on the corner
What year do you think it was a barbers shop? It appears to have been a beer retailer up until Kelly's 1940, in 1955 & 1964 it was Newtown Metals, perhaps somebody can look up the years between 1940 & 1955.

Going on memory only which is pretty good ,
I lived in Paddington street , distinctly recall walking up towards Guildford street , pass the outdoor on the corner , next street on right was Kensington street , then uphill to the next street , Denmark street and on the first corner was the Barbers , .....

not so good a memory....I recall the half glass door , I know my dad went there also , I was Way under 12... so guessing the last time I went there was around 1955 or 56 , ready for Christmas ..
Cheers
Albert

I went to that barbers up till about 1952 but can't remember the outside, just remember the inside. I then went to a barbers near my school in Grove Lane in Handsworth. Didn't think much of them - didn't do short back and sides as good as in Guildford Street. The last 'barbers' I went to was a posh one in town (can't remember their name); I stopped going there in about 1959 when they started to require appointments. From then on cut my own until I met my wife who thought I made a mess cutting the back of my head. She has cut it ever since.

And unfortunately a very common design Richard. But it was home to a lot of people. Expect the view across Birmingham from the higher floors was great, Viv.

so whereabouts was this picture taken?
Dave A
taken from here dave...corner of guildford st and lozells road...in vivs photos which has been posted before you can see the cars parked on the car park of the royal oak pub now a supermarket...i watched that block of flats come down in one go a few years back

taken from here dave...corner of guildford st and lozells road...in vivs photos which has been posted before you can see the cars parked on the car park of the royal oak pub now a supermarket...i watched that block of flats come down in one go a few years back

Right across from Gower St school...I'm surprised it's still standing.
Dave A

This is a post for chin-up showing an aerial view of 16 Guildford Terrace, not a brilliant image but all we have (I think). The house side marked red shows the area where many houses were destroyed in an air-raid of 1/11/1940 and 14 people tragically died. For details see

www.leroux.co.uk/aston for details

Attachments

• guildford-terrace-no16-aerial.jpg
    guildford-terrace-no16-aerial.jpg
    924.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Any members from Guildford St, i lived at 17/144. Does any one recall the Farm St end of Guildford St where painted on the wall were the words GOD BLESS OUR BOYS (a tribute to our soldiers of the second world war
Albert Wayne
I remember it well and the words painted on the wall. I just wish I had a photo of that wall and those words. My Nan snd Grandad had a house in Guildford Street where I lived for 3/4 years.

I remember it well and the words painted on the wall. I just wish I had a photo of that wall and those words. My Nan snd Grandad had a house in Guildford Street where I lived for 3/4 years.
there is a photo of that wall on this thread along with lots of old photos of guildford st before demolision...you need to really start reading from post 1 so that you do not miss anything...this is a very long thread so may take you a while to read it all

lyn

Any members from Guildford St, i lived at 17/144. Does any one recall the Farm St end of Guildford St where painted on the wall were the words GOD BLESS OUR BOYS (a tribute to our soldiers of the second world war
Albert Wayne
I remember it well. Those word have never left me. I am still searching for a good photo of that wall.

Here are a few:-
View attachment 184521
View attachment 184522

Houses were in the block set back at the end:-
View attachment 184523

We used to live behind the houses to the left of the sign (1/39).
Thank you. My Nan and Grandad (Henry Martin and Nellie Martin - maiden name Dainton) lived in 10 Guildford Street from the 1920s to the 1960s. My Mum, Jean Martin, lived there from 1930 to 1949 and then from 1954 to 1956. I lived there from 1954 to 1956. My Nan's house is on the RHS where you can see a set of gates just before a very high wall which looks white on the photo but which was light grey - between this wall and my Nan's house was a yard with garages that were once stables. I used to go to Rudhall's for sweets and errands.

Thank you. My Nan and Grandad (Henry Martin and Nellie Martin - maiden name Dainton) lived in 10 Guildford Street from the 1920s to the 1960s. My Mum, Jean Martin, lived there from 1930 to 1949 and then from 1954 to 1956. I lived there from 1954 to 1956. My Nan's house is on the RHS where you can see a set of gates just before a very high wall which looks white on the photo but which was light grey - between this wall and my Nan's house was a yard with garages that were once stables. I used to go to Rudhall's for sweets and errands.
Welcome to The Forum!

Albert Wayne
I always thought it referred to the First World War.
Dave A

Back