• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

Re: Birmingham History

Yes very interesting Roy. Didn't know that estate was built much later. Viv.

STOP ME AND BUY ONE. A great treat for the the kids playing in the streets.
This person could be seen cycling down the road on a TRICYCLE with an ICE BOX mounted over the front two wheels.
The sign written on the side of the box " Stop me and buy one " got the kids rushing back into their houses to see if Mom or Dad could give them a penny to buy a cracking tasting tri-angular shaped ' ice lolly ' from out of this ice box.
Time period : Big guess here, somewhere around 1937 maybe.

They were still about in the late 40s Roy.
Walls or Midland counties, I liked Walls the best.

Someone's smoking a ' PASHA' in here somewhere.
This is not a written piece supporting smoking in any way. As has been said before " Nothing can convince an innocent kid not to take up smoking more effectively than a kiss from a chain smoking aunt".
During the War cigarettes became spasmodically in short supply. During these periods the local newsagent / tobacconist would let each customer have a packet of their favourite brand of ciggy so long as he could also sell them a packet of the
cheap and horribly smelling Turkish type cigarette at the same time. It was something most smokers had to put up with.
It was comical though to see , for example, the reaction of an audience inside a cinema if someone even lit one of them up during a performance. Heads would be swivelling about all over theatre trying to locate to locate the ' culprit '

Ah yes, the good old days when you could barely see the cinema screen for ciggy smoke, & the local pub with sawdust on the floor & free use of a spitoon. And if you needed the loo at the Brookvale pub, you had to run like the wind to get past the gaffers Pekingese. Nostalgia, it`s great is it not?

An unusual Bus ride.
( With Walkies thrown in at no extra cost). Around 1943 we caught a Corporation ' 33' Double Decker bus at Perry Barr on route to Kingstanding. This particular bus was seen to be ' towing' some sort of stoke fire contraption built onto a small trailer. The journey seemed to be much as usual until we turned off the Colledge Road and began to climb the Kingstanding Road hill. At this point some of us blokes were asked to get off the bus in order to lighten the bus load.
So whilst it ' chugged ' it's reduced load up the final part of the hill we lads walked to the summit of the hill and reboarded
it to complete our journey. It was pretty obvious that with a full load the engine power was just not up to achieving that part of the route.
( History Bit ). Apparently in order to save on valuable Petrol at this time the Goverment and the Birmingham Council agreed to a limited number of these Coke Stove gas proving trailers to be tried out. By 1944 the project was abandoned.
Worth a try at the time I guess.

A 1950's Holiday.
Birmingham to Barmouth in his first car.
Smashing. Two weeks paid holiday. Done the car engine ' Top overhaul '. You can't risk a long journey like this without doing that. First year that I've had a car so I hope that I've done it right. I've got a couple of tins of engine oil and a Rad
Weld in the boot just in case. Looked up a Route, should be straight forward.
We started a bit early just to be on the safe side. One of me tyres is wearing a bit thin thin so keeping an eye on that.
Going Ok so far. About two thirds the way there. The kids are getting a bit bored and playing up a bit. I'm trying to concentrate because the traffic in front has started to ' Stop - Go ' more times now. Pulled over abut 30 miles back to have our Flask of Tea, it gave us all a bit of a break.
We've just come to the start of the mountain road and I'm looking to see what's causing this latest ' hold up ' in front of us.
Oh heck. I can see it now, there's a car pulling a caravan stuck part way up the mountain road and it looks like it can't be passed by the traffic behind it. ( and that's us included).
Hang on. This is useful, an AA motor cycle and sidecar has just gone passed us towards the hold up.
It will be worth it when we get there I'm sure, especially for the Missus and Kids. First time the kids will have seen the sea
and the Missus won't be doing any cooking.
Just hope that AA bloke knows his stuff.

Thanks for the link the that site Carolina. Very interesting and I must make a bee-line to look for those bricks when I next manage to get up to Brum. I've saved the site to look at properly later.

Judy

The ' Whistlers '.
Remember that happy sound. Birmingham lads and men would go about their life and share this talent with us all.
You would hear it all around our districts.
The ' Whistling ' Milkman, the Breadman and the Coalman as they did their deliveries.
The ' Whistling ' men coming home after a day's work.
The ' Whistling ' men doing a bit of home gardening or knocking up some item in the back yard.
The ' Whistling ' young lads on their way to or from School.
Whistling would always indicate a happy and contented person.
Did'nt cost a dime.
Wonder what put the ' Tin Hat ' on it over the years.

Sit Aboard Skating. ( The 1940 's ) .
A pair of skates shared by a couple of the kids. This activity would be seen around some streets in Birmingham.
Find a nice hard and smooth gradient ( Kingstanding was a particular good example with its hills and slopes ).
A rectangular loose wooden board would be placed across the roller skate. Each kid would sit on their board with their
knees tucked up under their chin, hands used to give a quick ' push off ' to start their run and then hands placed flat on the end ' wings ' of the board.
Two, four or six could race to-gether ( depending on the number of available skates ) . Minimum steering could be accomplished by pushing down on one board wing and leaning in the same direction.
Who knows, this little contraption might have been one of the ' Grandadies ' of the modern skateboard.
One thing is for sure, here was another fresh air activity, for the kids back then, to enjoy and participate in

Over the Garden Wall.
( Long before we all had private telephones ).
Many times I used to see my mother reach under the Settee to select a shoe or slipper lying beneath and then go to the adjoining wall to Mrs S's house who lived next door. She would then tap the heel of the shoe wear on the wall Picture Rail
and then wait. Sure enough a returning ' tap ' would be heard from Mrs S's wall. Then off they both would trot to the back gardens and have a ' chin wag ' over the Garden fence.
This was I believe a fairly common occurrence all around this Kingstanding Council Estate.
There were the odd day's when rain stopped play.

Reading between the lines.
BBC news and ' Jairmany callig, Jairmany calling.
During the Second World War obtaining accurate war news was not easy for Birmingham folk or the nation in general.
On one hand British reporting was censored and contained some elements of propaganda. On the other hand British folk
were able to listen to broadcasts direct from Germany made by a character known as ' Lord Haw-Haw '. He was an Irish born American who had ' defected ' to the Nazi's just before the war began. His broadcasts throughout the war were mostly wildly exaggerated in their claims ( of the achievements of the German war machine ).
I remember though that certainly families up at Kingstanding would regularly listen in on the radio to both the BBC versions and this Lord Haw-Haw spout and then attempt to understand what might really be going on by ' reading between
the lines '. There was at least one time this ' Haw-Haw ' character had a section in his broadcast that supposedly related to
a Birmingham air raid incident from the previous nights air raid on the City naming roads and damage caused.
He'd backed the wrong horse though and the ' Link ' below gives you some idea of how he went from power to absurdity.
The Video is a bit lengthy but it's worth comparing his confident early war years broadcast with his last Gin sodden attempt.
Link : https://youtu.be/1anuMmE1ytk

" Argus, City Final "
A late Saturday night sound around the City. Period : Late 1940's through the 50's.
Just had a good night out up the City. Maybe it was a dance at the ' West End ' or maybe a visit to the ' Gaumont ' or the
' Odeon ' cinema .
The Bonus to come would be the purchase of the ARGUS , straight off the press , being sold around some parts of the town by late night paper sellers.
Now you could catch your bus for home, sit comfortable and catch up on all the day's sports results and descriptions.
Definately the Icing on the cake.

I remember that time well Roy .. we always had to go out and get the Argus - good days.
And a great way to relax and catch up ... so much better than today - even though progress makes access easier.

My job on a Saturday night when I was young was to go round to the paper shop and collect Dad's Argus. I used to wait outside with all the others waiting for the van to arrive with the papers on, then we all crowded into the shop to buy one.

Judy

My job on a Saturday night when I was young was to go round to the paper shop and collect Dad's Argus. I used to wait outside with all the others waiting for the van to arrive with the papers on, then we all crowded into the shop to buy one.

Judy

same here judy...i used to go round to the paper shop in nursery road to collect our dads pink argus

lyn

Ithought the Sunday Mercury was always printed in the City Centre,why would it arrive by train with the other Sunday papers????

I used to pick my Mercury up as I left The Tower after working there. I didnt read it though until Sunday morning - still in bed with tea and biscuits. Bliss.

Used to pick up the Sunday Mercury near Greys waiting for the night service bus home. The newspaper vendor used to sound like he was saying "Spuddy Murphy", not Sunday Mercury. Is there still a Sunday Mercury? Viv.

Hi Viv

The Sunday Mercury is still around and although like most of the Birmingham Newspapers is now owned by the Trinity Mirror Group still has to be one of the best Sunday Newspapers on the stands. I always buy a copy, but I used to buy my copy on the High street outside the Co-op on Saturday nights to read with my supper at home.

Here is a photo of the vendor outside Greys on Bull St, perhaps it was the one you purchased your Mercury from.

Attachments

• City Bull St Paper Vendor.jpg
    City Bull St Paper Vendor.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 41

Wow, we've got our own phone. ( 1950's ).
Around this period folk could apply to have a telephone installed in their own home. I believe that because of some ' line limitations ' some folk could only be initially offered a ' Party Line ' which meant that they had to ' share ' their line with someone else.
It did however have some side effects which resulted in irritations as well as humorous moments depending on how you looked at it.
At sometimes, going to the phone, to make a call you picked up the receiver ( to obtain the dialling tone ) to find that your
' shared line ' person was on their phone and you would be hearing their ' chat ' going on. So you had to wait until they finished their call before you could make yours. In some cases you didn't know who the person you were sharing the line with was. Party line ' eavesdroppers ' could have a field day. ( Only human nature ).
One of the other side effects of this system was that on some occasions at the outset of beginning a dialling you would get
'Crossed Lines ' which meant you would be now listening to a conversation being carried out by some unknown persons from heavens knows where.
All in all though, having your own telephone at this time was a lot better than having to make a trip down to the nearest Public Telephone Box to make a call. It felt a bit ' Posh ' too.

Roy, you were posh having a telephone in the 50's....l had an aunt and uncle who got one about the same time...well when the neighbours found out they had a constant stream of people who wanted to use the phone day and night , they put a box by the phone hoping people would pay but i think it was mostly l catch you next time.....this went on for a while untilll they finally had had enough and had it taken out....when we moved to Lake Jackson Texas, we were on a third party line for a couple of years and as you said one could pick up the telephone and listen to a conversation...well one night we got woke up by a very angry neighbour who accused us of leaving the telephone off the hook thats when we found out who was one of our part line sharers...well it was'nt us but the other party, never did say sorry.....my parents did'nt get a phone untill after mom retired at 70, the only way l could telephone home was at her work place.....and then when she finally got a phone she made a remard about wishing she had had one sooner....Brenda

A Second Chance. ( 1950,s ).
Going back in time there were some folks, referring to their own education , who would comment " I never had the chance ". They would be remarking in general to their own circumstances during their ' Primary School ' education.
Instantcies might include things like : " I had to help Mom or Dad out very often " ( Causing poor school attendance ).
" I had to leave school as soon as possible ". ( The family needed the extra income ). " I was a bit of a slow starter at school and never really caught up ".
Around the 1950,s evening Technical Colleges, for further education, became available to anyone who was prepared to put in the time and effort and have a go at ' bettering themselves '.
Examples of further education colleges in Birmingham were places like Marston Green Technical College and Gosta Green Technical College.
Here was the chance for anyone to gain or catch up on their education. Target ' qualifications ' would include ' City and Guilds', ' Ordinary National Certificate ' and ' Higher National Certificate '.
A cracking opportunity to move from a working environment of ' muck , suds and grease ' to becoming a Draughtsman, Draughtswoman, a Project engineer, a Metallurgist, a Development engineer or some such career.
It would be the case for the average working person, wishing to take this opportunity, that they would be attending three evening lectures each week including preparing and ' swatting ' through large parts of their weekends as well as carrying on with their normal week-day job. This could be over a period of Three to Five years.
Never the less, a brilliant opportunity and they would never again have to say " I never had the chance "
I believe most if not all who pursued this opportunity and succeeded were very satisfied with the career changes and promotions it brought about.

Spelling Sweats . ( Don't worry too much ).
Peckham Road School Junior ( around 1942 - 1943 ). The English master is delivering an ' English Composition ' lesson to us. Never forget a line of his conversation in which he said to us something like " When you are composing a written communication to someone it is not always essential that you worry too much about your spelling, it is important however that your composition can be understood ".
Never forgot that bit. Fall back on it often.
This modern ' Facebook' type ' Jargon ' let's most of us off the hook anyways I think.

Back