• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

An interesting combination.
I have recently received a request via the Birmingham History Forum from the Reverand Johnathan Strickland, Vicar of Bawtry, Doncaster.
He is looking for an ' image ' to use on a " Church Together Christmas Card " for this year.
He is trying to make the connection between the Chritmas Truce 1914 and " Hope " and he has asked me for permission to use the painting ' The Christmas Truce ' for this purpose. A copy of this can be seen on this thread ( post # 102 ).
He aims to distribute around 2000 free copies of the Chritmas Card in his Parish area.
I see his connection between the three points ie., Christmas / The Christmas Truce / and Hope as very inventive.
Quite clever I think.
I have given him my permission and best wishes to use the painting for his Christmas Card project.

Last edited:
KIDS PRANKS. ( Might nudge a couple of memories ).
THE PENNY SLOT WEIGHING MACHINE ( the ones that used to be situated just inside the Chemist shops ).
Stand on the scale platform, put your penny in the slot. Round flicks the needle on the dial and there displayed is your weight. Then as you stepped off the platform and the needle returned to the zero position your penny would drop and be taken into the machine.
The kids occassionally would find it mischievous to try get two or three of them weighed for just the one penny put in the slot.
The Method : First kid on the scale, penny put in the slot, weight registered on the dial. Second kid then also stood on the platform whilst the first kid gets off. The needle now registers the second kids weight. So long as they kept the needle from returning to Zero they could do this several times from putting just the one penny in the slot. Comical really on reflection because as young kids their body weight was of very little interest to them really, but I guess it was the ' prank '
bit that attracted them.
THE HELTER SKELTER SLIDE in the local park playground ( the ones that were built of Cast Iron with Brass plated slide surfaces ). One of the kids in the group would bring a piece of Wax Candle and the kids would press the candle down onto the Brass surface a few times as they slid down the chute. In next to no time the slide would become slippy and very fast,
Just what they wanted. Thinking back, I bet the backsides of their trousers must have gotten pretty shiny, wonder if the Mum's ever figured it out.

image.jpgTHE LITTLE BOY THAT SANTA CLAUS FORGOT.
( Story/ Sketch ).
Going back a few years,during the Christmas period,this little story song was relayed to some of the children to help them appreciate how fortunate they had been that Christmas.
" The little boy that Santa Claus forgot "
You know Christmas comes but once a year for every girl and boy
The laughter and joy they find in each brand new toy
I'll tell you of a little boy that lives across the way
This little fella's Christmas is just another day
He's the little boy that Santa Claus forgot
And goodness knows he didn't want a lot
He sent a note to Santa
For some soldiers and a drum
It broke his little heart
When he found Santa hadn't come
In the street,he envies all those lucky boys
Then wanders home to last years broken toys
I'm so sorry for that laddie, he hasn't got a daddy
The little boy that Santa Claus forgot
( Still brings a lump in the throat and a tear in the eye for me ).

View attachment 94995THE LITTLE BOY THAT SANTA CLAUS FORGOT.

I hope Santa forgets me this year. I`m very happy with what i already have, a lovely wife, lovely house, nice car, but every year he brings me stuff i don`t need or want ( apart from the whisky ) Stuff that ends up being pushed under the stairs or up in the loft. Wouldn`t it be nice if, instead of presents folk gave their money to charities (like that`s gonna happen ) But then all the shops would go broke putting loads of people out of work & then they would end up needing the charity we all gave our money to.!! I guess i`m lust a grumpy old grandad ( but a happy one ) Only 17 days till we decorate the Christmas tree, whoopee.

Smudger, I agree. I have a wonderful wife of 54 years, a nice home, car, my health, and a wonderful family. I do not need anything more. Last year I decided to cut down on cards except for immediate family, and sent some money to SSAFA. They do a good job for ex. servicemen. I know this because they helped my sister when her husband died. Eddie.

I agree with Smudger. Some years ago I found the whole process of the run up to Christmas far too much of a worry. What to buy Joe? or What does Mary want etc. I got all the family to agree not to buy presents except for the children. I simply give the parents of the children the money to buy whatever the children want or need. I would like to do somehing similar about Christmas Cards
which I consider to be just a commercial swindle.

Just another grumpy old man.

Old Boy

Last edited:
I agree with Smudger. Some years ago I found the whole process of the run up to Christmas far too much of a worry. What to buy Joe? or What does Mary want etc. I got all the family to agree not to buy presents except for the children. I simply give the parents of the children the money to buy whatever the children want or need. I would like to do somehing similar about Christmas Cards
which I consider to be just a commercial swindle.

Just another grumpy old man.

Y`know Eddie & old boy, we`re not really grumpy old men. We`re content with our lot & i agree about the cards, just a money making scheme dreamt up by some " entrepeneur" I have to keep an eye on my missus cos she`s a soft touch where charities are concerned & i limit her to 3. I don`t mind cos they`re all worthwhile, & when it comes to digging into the pocket to help charities, then we Brits are the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where has Mom put me best shirt? A young chaps story of the period.image.jpg Sorry folks. Read period for perood.

Last edited:
THE " ENTRY " ( The rainy day retreat for the kids ).
Pre-war new estates around Birmingham had numerous Terrace type house builds which basically might be described as four joined houses in each block with the two inner houses having a single shared tunnel like entrance to their back gardens. The local kids called them ' The Entry '.
The ' entry' became the kids retreat on rainy days where they could meet up in the dry. Even in this restricted space they would concoct games to pass the time. Tennis ball ' Penalty Shoot-outs ' was popular. Cricket, with a Batsman defending the back gate post ( the wicket ) against the Bowlers. The girls were able to practise their Skipping skills. Marble games were also easy enough to carry out.
After a few activity games they would sit in a huddle ( on the entry floor ) and have a ' parley ' but as soon as the weather looked like it was improving they would be up like a shot, down the entry , into the steet and on with the fun.
Yes, I think many would look back at the periods in the ' Enrty ' with happy thoughts

Our house was seperated from next door by an entry, with several metal rods set up fairly high. I used to jump up & grab one of these metal rods, & goodness knows how many pull-ups i did over the years. I should have had a body like Charles Atlas but unfortunately i was more like Stan Laurel :-{ There were two old ladies lived next door, both of them blind & if they heard me in the entry would shout & ask me to run down the road & get them some snuff. Sometimes i didn`t feel like running errands & i would stay quiet, but there was no fooling those two old girls, " David you little so & so i know you`re there " so i would run down the road & get the snuff. I was as fit as a butchers dog in those days.

"The entry" saved me at one time I was about ten and had got in a fight with some lad when all of a sudden his Mother appeared with a wild look in her eye and headed for me with a scream,needless to say I legged it as fast as I could with this very large lady on my tail.She almost had me when I made it to "our entry" luckly there was a double pram half way up and me being thin as a rake I shot past and she being large could not make it her words still ring in my ears today " I know who you are and I will get you. ( I had bright red hair in those days) and I knew it was no idle threat I was a nervous wreck for weeks but I can not remember if she carried out her promise.
Acklam19

Smudger we had an entry between the houses in Copeley street, sounds like yours was the same as ours with iron bars, l used to climb up the wall and swing on the bars..not very lady like for a young girl when l would swing over the bars l'm sure l showed next weeks laundry as you say the entry was a good place to hang out if it was raining...also when Ron and l were courting we would say our good nights there but always find the warm spot on the wall where our fireplace was on the other side.. dad always had the fire halfway up the grate so it was nice and toasty but of course our feet were frozen..the winds really would blow down there.....Brenda

Roy l'm with you about what goes on in the entry....if only walls could tell....mind we had the street light shining half way up it, plus my dad was always popping his head out to check so the walls would'nt have much to tell on me, even the night before l was married dad whistled me it was 10.30pm that was my curfew, you might know that was a few years ago ...Brenda

image.jpgTHE TRUSTY OLD PRAM. ( Pre Pushchair and Car ownership times ).
The all can do baby and grocery carrier. Side line uses have been known to include carrying pieces of furniture, planks of wood,bags of coal, wireless batteries and many other items that would otherwise be difficult to carry and transport.
Frequently, from first born ( new pram ) to subsequent new baby arrivals, the same old trusty pram would be used to transport the new baby.
Here was one of the few times where-by new parents could publically show a bit of ' posh ' with the purchase of a flashy new pram as they paraded their new arrival around the estate.
End of pram life would sometimes find the pram wheels located at either end of a plank of wood and functioning as part of a kids ' trolley'.
Sketch: The Pram.

image.jpgA BONUS FROM THE XMAS RUBBISH. ( The 1960,s ).
Xmas morning.
The children have finished unwrapping their Xmas presents and the little conservatory is getting pretty full up with discarded Cardboared boxes and torn up wrapping paper. ( Size of presents and packaging has been noticeably increasing over the years ).
Xmas Mid-afternoon.
Xmas dinner enjoyed and the Sherry is now circulating around the party. Now awaiting the Queens Xmas speech. Some of the Men retire to the little conservatory ( amongst the discarded package pile up ) to smoke a Cigar or a Ciggy.
Whilst making space to sit amongst all the Cardboard one of the guys starts to separate some of the Cardboard boxes and puts them in the kitchen. He further requested the use of the home scissors and a roll of sticky tape.
Within an hour or half or so ( with the help of the kids ) he has constructed ( out of this Cardboard rubbish ) a Marble Race Game toy.
He's got the kids to sort out half a dozen different coloured Marbles.
This home made toy is just basically a continuous slopping channel which allows Marbles to race from top to bottom.
Intermitingly this concoction proved to be a popular game for the rest of the day for both the adults and the kids with sweets and nuts being laid on as " bets".
The kids, for years, have been known to spend happy moments playing with the Xmas Cardboared box wrappings as in " Dens", " Tents " and " Tunnels " but here was another use for a bit of Xmas rubbish.
Yes, we all had a bit of fun with that " re-arranged " bit of rubbish.
Sketch : The Concoction.

The Christmas Cards have now been completed and the Vicar can now send out his greetings and invitations.
( Ref Post #391 on this thread ).
image.jpg

OLD XMAS FAVOURITES FOR THE KIDS.
PERIOD : 1940's - 1950's.
A Balsa Wood Aeroplane model kit, a DANDY or BEANO annual, a pocket Pen Knife and an extra ration of sweets.
Here was a selection of SOME of the boys favourite Xmas presents of the period.
You can imagine the recipient of a model building kit just couldn't wait for the ' grown ups ' to finish their Xmas partying so that the dinner table could be cleared and the more important business of building the Aeroplane kit could begin. One of Dads old razor blades was essential to cut and shape the various components, a bit of Sandpaper to smooth down and then that lovely smell of the Balsa Wood cement glue ( Pear Drops ) as the pieces were gradually stuck to-gether.
The BEANO or DANDY annual would be read from front to back two or three times and was good for ' swops ' , with friends, after Xmas.
Smashing to be having so many sweets all at once ( Moms saved up ' sweet coupons ' to achieve this ) .
Understandably the ' socks ' and the new pair of ' school trousers ' presents weren't so popular with the kids but had to be understood.
The Pen Knife will be great for shaping bits of wood into things like games bats, tip cats,and yes, for cutting tree branches and making them into Bows and Arrows.

XMAS COMES BUT ONCE A YEAR.
( Wish it was a ' couple of times a year ' was more the kids thoughts ).

MERRY XMAS TO EVERYONE.

Roy, I am in my 82nd year, and I love Christmas. We are a close family, and we enjoy the good things about Christmas. Especially the true meaning of Christmas.

Christmas in 2014 can be wonderful. So much to choose from. Attractions, Decorations, Food, Presents, Travel. The list is endless, and the facilities to all these wonderful things that are on offer should be appreciated by the consumer. Sadly, I do think that many do not appreciate it all, but take it for granted.

My Christmas' were wonderful, with the pillow case, orange, a couple of bright new pennies, and the odd toy. One Christmas, my mother managed to get, from our next door neighbour, some second hand Dinky cars. That was the best Christmas present and I have never forgotten it. No traveling far in the war years. Who cared? The only thing that we wanted was the family, and the returning of our loved ones.

There was no ice cream, fresh salad, turkeys, salmon, banana's, no fantastic electric gadgets. No watching a film on Christmas afternoon. No TV, and the cinema's were closed.

THAT is why I love Christmas today. The difference is, I really appreciate the family, and the festivities, but I do not forget that, in some parts of this world, folk are still living in war, and famine zones. Let us not forget those innocent sufferers.

Still, I wish everyone a joyful and happy Christmas. Eddie.

AHMEN Eddie. You said it all. Happy and Merry Xmas to each and everyone. Oh by the way. Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR TO! John Crump Oldalsoin82yrBrit. Parker, Coloraodo USA

Some of those earlier ' come and go' activities and antics of the kids.
THE TIN CAN PHONES : Two small empty Tin Cans connected to one another by a ' stretched ' length of string. A communication experiment for two kids at a time, one talking into one tin can and the other listening on the other tin can.
SCHOOL PLAYGROUND ICE SLIDES : Early morning kids arriving at School during an Icy weather spell. The kids began to create Ice slides across parts of the School Platground. The School ' bell ' eventually calls them indoors to begin class work. Coming back out into the playground at ' Morning break ' they would possibly find that the ' School Caretaker ' had sprinkled bits of Salt on the slides ( Spoil Sport). Never mind . Find another area of the Playground and make new slides.
HANKIE PARACHUTES : Tie the four corners of a Hankie with four bits of separate cotton or thread. Tie the ends of the thread to-gether and add a weight ( A couple of bolt nuts would be ideal ). Wrap the thread and the attached weight around the folded hankie, throw it up into the air ( as high as possible ). With a bit of luck, at the apex of its journey, the Parachute would deploy and a nice looking descent could be achieved. ( It was not advisable to let Mon know that you were using your Hankie or Nose Cloth for this ).
PAPER TRANSFERS : Sheets of paper ' Transfers ' could be bought from some shops. Select and cut-out one of the transfers and soak it in a cup of warm water for half a minute or so and then apply the transfer onto your arm or wherever
( There you go, you'd got a Tatoo just like some of the ' Grown ups ' had got.
Experiment, seek and learn was the kids joy.

Roy, l remember those ice slides we had a good one at burlington st sch..one Saturday after noon we would climb over the wall to get into the playground, it had an incline and was perfect for making a slide after awhile we all kept putting more snow on it to make it faster...well lt was so fast i was' not able to get off in time and went slam bam into the wall , l ended up with a split lip and broken front tooth l'm sure half of Aston heard me as l went screaming home to mom....l still have the scar....Brenda

Wheelers Lane school had a sloping playground that was ideal for slides, several would be in used at the same time and they all ended in a wooden wall.
The school was surprisingly tolerant towards these slides, considering that the noise from the kids crashing into the wall must have been terrific for those inside.

Hi maypole
Our old fella when it was in the days of really deep snow like 4 feet deep used to take us to Aston park on the steepest part of the park which was at he side of
Aston hall gardens and there used to be a series of steps coming down from the frontage of Hall
Which was the peter pan side and facing the villaground we had a sledge and we would go bombing down the hill
And crashing the the bushes of the fence that was of within red facing the turn stiles there was one occasion when my nan bought me
A red white and blue ball from Blackpool I went after school with it to the park and a big kid nicked it off me rotter
Best wishes Astonian,,,,

As a youngster I love the snow, and the fun. The slides in the school playground, and even down our back yard. Sometimes we had to be careful when the snow started to slide off the roof. Get out of the way fast.

We only had one water tap, cold, and over the kitchen sink, which was used for everything, and that was sometimes frozen. I remember that my mother would sometimes place a paraffin heater in the outside loo to stop the cistern freezing. Sometimes she was too late. Looking back, we seem to have got though it all somehow.

I never bothered about the cold. Around 1948 we had an Ascot water heater fitted in the kitchen. (Remember those?). That was magic, and we considered ourselves very posh!! Eddie

The Ascot Heater, what a luxury having hot water from a tap! We had little "kelly lamps" in our outside loo, I don't think we ever froze up.
I used to clear the front path then all the snow would come off the roof and I had to start again. Ashes from the fire were put on the slippery places. When we ran out of dry mittens (which Nan made from old jumpers) we used old socks, they were better than nothing.
rosie.

Back