• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grocers at 143 Green Lane

amdyhou

proper brummie kid
The attached picture shows what I believe is a grocers shop at 143 Green Lane, Small Heath. The pic was taken in 1923 and shows my grandmother - Constance Alice Bent (nee Pinchin) - pregnant with my mother.

I would love any more information and/or confirmation - anyone with any memories or other photos of the shop etc. Any info is welcome!

amdyhou

Attachments

• Green Lane Shop 1.jpg
    Green Lane Shop 1.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 101
The 1925 directory says for Green Lane

143 Bent Mrs Constance Alice Shopkeeper,

The attached picture shows what I believe is a grocers shop at 143 Green Lane, Small Heath. The pic was taken in 1923 and shows my grandmother - Constance Alice Bent (nee Pinchin) - pregnant with my mother.

I would love any more information and/or confirmation - anyone with any memories or other photos of the shop etc. Any info is welcome!

amdyhou

Andy, if you type in Green Lane Small Heath in the search box top right, there are quite a few threads with pics and info about Green Lane - my dad lived in Victoria Street, and there are quite a few forum members who live/d around there, you should get lots more info - welcome to the forum by the way.
Sue

What a brilliant picture - thank you for sharing it with us. Are you sure of the date? The reason I ask is that on the side of the shop is a poster for Too many Kisses and Fighting the flames - these are both film titles and both were released in 1925.

Sue - thanks - I shall check that out!

Pollypops - I thought 1923 was right but I think it might have been a guess by my Mother some years ago. From what you say I think it must be 1925. Thanks for your excellent observation!

I've also realised that as my mother was born in 1928 it couldn't be her inside - unless she had a very long gestation! ;-) However my uncle was born May 1926 so it would tie up that the pic was taken late in 1925 and that Constance was pregnant with her first child - my Uncle.

Green Lane Prince Albert St_ josies cafe.jpg
Green Lane Prince Albert Street Josies cafe becam the original Enerald Club before it moved over the road

Thanks Bernie, keep 'em coming! I don't know for certain if 143 survived the war - I think Green Lane was badly damaged in places?

Back