• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grinney Family

Y

yvonne21

I'm interested in finding any information about the Grinney family (part of my Dad's family) - they lived in Balsall Heath and were brass workers in the 19th century and some were in Sparkbrook by the early 20th century - thanks in advance for any info/ help provided.

What info are you looking for Yvonne, Do you have access to the census or do you want a look up. We need a christian name to start off with, and any possible dates. There are not many Grinneys on the census, and by 1901 very few males.

Thanks for the reply - I've put together a basic family tree for the 19th century Grinneys in Birmingham (all the Grinneys in the Birmingham censuses seem to be 1 family) but otherwise I don't know anything else about the family or if any of the family are still in Birmingham. My greatgrandmother was Rose Grinney (b.1874), but my Dad never heard his grandmother talk about her family or knew any aunts/ uncles/ cousins on that side of the family. Thanks again.

dont know if you have this info

1901 census in haden st. balsall heath

rose cresswell (nee grinney) head m. 26 b. bham
ellen r cresswell daughter 7 mths
lillian grinney sister 13 paper box maker

all born bham

marriage of ellen r cresswell to james t willis 1933 apr-jun bham 6d 1097

also in 1881 long st. aston

francis grinney 30 brass founder
ellen e 29
francis h 9
rose e 6
henry h 4
alice e 1

all b. bham. sorry if you already have this

Thanks very much - that's my Dad's grandmother (Rose) and my auntie Nell (Ellen) - I've literally done the same thing and found auntie Nell's married name on ancestry (which I didn't know before) thanks very much

in 1935 james t willis and ellen r willis were living 20 kensington gardens, balsall heath road

1945 same two were living 226 balsall heath rd.

Thanks very much - that's a lot more than I knew about my aunt (her husband had died when I knew her and she died when I was fairly young). Thanks very much :)

I don’t know how much of the following from the electoral rolls is new, but it is all the grinneys that come out on the online rolls;
Have missed out the Grinney, and included non-grinneys in brackets)
1912 Harry 287 clifton road
1920 Francis and Agnes May 287 Clifton road
1920 Frederick Robert 1 Holmwood road
1920 (And 1925,) James & Emily 52 Limetree road
1925 Albert Francis 30 Berkeley road east
1925 Francis and Agnes May, and Harry 287 Clifton road
1925 Frederick Robert & Miriam Elizabeth 1 Holmwood road

1930 Frederick Robert & Miriam Elizabeth 19 Beach Road
1930 (and 1935, 1939, 1945) Albert Francis and Edith 30 Berkeley road east
1930 James & Emily & Mary 52 Limetree road
1930 Alice Maria (with Emily Forbes, and Walter & Frances Higgins) 118
Mansel Rd
1935 (and 1939, 1945) Francis and Harry Hands 287 Clifton road
1935 James & Emily and Dorothy 52 Limetree road
1935 Alice Maria (with ernest and alice Dutton) 132 Oldknow rd
1935 (and 1939,)Frederick Robert & Miriam Elizabeth 139 Sandgate rd

1945 Frederick Robert & Miriam Elizabeth and Beryl, 139 Sandgate rd
1945 Kathleen I (& William Hiett) 15b Solihull lane
1945 Emily (& Dorothy M Taylor) 18 Teignmouth road
mike

Thanks very much for the Electoral Roll information - I hadn't got any of this, so really appreciated - many thanks:)

Hi,

Only just found your post, thanks to mikejee putting a HANDS in the electoral rolls. Actually Harry Hands GRINNEY, born around 1877, probably in Balsall Heath as that is where the family lived for many years.

Francis Thomas GRINNEY, 1850 married an Ellen Elizabeth TOLLEY in 1870. Her mother was Mary Ann HANDS, born 1824, in Kings Norton.

I am a very very distant HANDS relative, but do have a closer contact.

Cheers

Mike

Hi,

I seem to remember that the corner shop on the corner of Frederick Road and Albert Road
Stechford, in the 1950's was called Grinney's

Kind regards,

Dave

Back