• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

    We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Griffiths Camera Co Ltd Highgate Square Moseley Street

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This business probably started up c1891 in photo-lithography and printing. Their first location might have been in Union Passage.

Screenshot_20261009_103659_Chrome.jpg
(Above information source: earlyphotography.co.uk)


Some nice examples of equipment produced by Griffiths are in the advertisement below. I like the name of the Guinea Detective Camera.
Screenshot_20261009_084740_Chrome.jpg
 
Last edited:
He seems to have started out as a paper box manufacturer, and then suddenly changed :

In 1884 Highgate Square is not listed as having businesses

1888-90 Walter Griffiths Highgate Square, paper box maker

1892 Walter Griffiths & Co Ltd Hoghgate Square, photographic apparatus manufacturer
 
Don't know much about early cameras, but I suppose the change from box manufacturer to camera manufacturer wouldn't take too much of a leap of the imagination. After all cameras were boxes with plates and lenses. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but I can see a general connection.
 
Back
Top