• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

greengrocers

les hancock

master brummie
I have recently aquired a copy of my grandads death certificate who died in 1937. It says the he was a greengrocers roundsman. I have heard of the obvious milkmen and breadmen, But not greengrocers. At that time he was living in Millhouse road Yardley. Is there anyone who can tell me the name of this greengrocer company so I can look into this further

Thanks Les

Hi Les:There were independent greengrocers who used to have "rounds" in Birmingham after WW2.So your relative may have had one of those. We had a greengrocer who came with his horse and cart every week to our street in Erdington in the late 1940's.

Hi, My late brother Alan worked for the Co-op in Kinstanding in the late 50s and he had a Greengrocers round on a lorry covering Shady Lane and area

I also had an uncle who had a round in the Castle Bromwich area in the late 50's

Terry

Back