• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gray family in Aston

Aldea

Brummie babby
It's amazing what this type of research throws up. I am unable to even begin my Grandfather, Harold Gray's family tree as we cannot find any trace of his birth!

Everyone believed that he was born in 1905 in Aston - the family were shoemakers/repairers.

He died back in 1984 and following a discussion with my cousin, it turns out all the papers have long gone. They included a birth certificate that had clearly been altered. My cousin thinks it is done so he could get into the army in 1920.

Apart from ordering birth certs for anyone called Harold Gray in a two year period, does anyone have any ideas on how I can find out when he was born? The odd thing is - both his wedding certificate and his death certificate show 1905 as being his birth year.

I do get the feeling that I will have to wait for the 1911 census to make any headway here.

Thanks for the help

Does it say on his marriage certificate his fathers name and occupation as this would help in tracking down his birth certificate.

Lindy

Did he have a middle name, do you know of any siblings born before or after him. I had a quick look at 1904/5/6 and there was a few Gray born in Aston in these years, some in the same quarter so there was at least 3+ family's living in the same area.

Bren

More info

His wedding certificate stated that his father's name was Samuel and that he was a roof repairer and that he was also deceased.

My father is a bit hazy on brothers and sisters but did remember that there was an Uncle Sammy who died in WW2. I get the feeling there was a split with the family.

I think i found him and if this is right, he's an half brother as Samuel Gray born 1865 Norfolk married Emma Amelia Martin in 1910 and both of these were widowed at the time. I then tracked Samuel Gray marrying Sarah Ann Lane so if these are my relations then that will be my great grandma and Harold's mother.

In 1901 Samuel and Sarah were living in Norfolk and there are two possible deaths of Sarah registered in Aston.

The one thing that makes me think this is the trail is that this Gray family from Norfolk were in the shoe trade and my Granddad became a cobbler when he moved to Ludlow where he lived with my Gran who was from there.

Hi Aldea

I assume this is your G/Father

Harold GrayBirth Date:20 Oct 1905
Death Registration Month/Year:Aug 1984
Age at death (estimated):78
Registration district:Ludlow
Inferred County:Herefordshire, Shropshire
Volume:30
Page:70

I can't find his birth in Aston on Ancestry, perhaps if you contact B,ham Reg Office with these details saying you beleive he was born in Aston but cannot find his birth details they might help -

Register Office
Holliday Wharf
Holliday Street
Birmingham
B1 1TJ
England
United Kingdom

Telephone: 0121 675 1000
Outside UK: (+) 44 121 675 1000
Email: register_office@birmingham.gov.uk

Bren

Indeed it is - This is why it is such a mystery as everyone thought that was the right date. I did do a search through GRO but will now contact the local office.

Thank you for that information

Back