• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gravelly Hill

ricco

knowlegable brummie
Hi gang firstly may i say Wow you guys certainly know your local history,,, i love tuning in to this Forum on a daily basis, i dont post a great deal but im always there looking & learning from you guys,,

Question to you guys please, i live by the armarda pub once the erdington arms, well my question is where the erdington arms used to stand on the cross roads of gravelly hill & slade road where slade road bends round to go up slade road to the railway bridge, does anyone have any pictures of the view towards the bridge looking up slade road please?
also where spaghetti is now stood to salford bridge where all those streets where bull dosed down roads like Leamingon road Bridge road woodley avenue Broadoakes road top part of copelly hill ect ect im really interested in seeing those old roads how the area used to look i mean especially leamington road to slade road area please!!!! i also gather that the road crew & workmen used to use Burlington house top of copelly hill as there tea room whilst building spaghetti junction? then they boxed it in by the motorway then pulled this fantastic building down CRIMINAL!!!!!!!!!!!

Also guys there was a road called Broadoaks road between Powick road & slade road?????????? if this is the case how could it of fitted between these 2 roads because at the backs of powick & slade road there is a gully way to garages! was this Broadoaks road a mistake on the map? maybe powick & Broadoaks road are the wrong way around!!!

i mean all this is in living memory right!! have any photos been taken by the Spaghetti work crew of the area before work started?????????? photos must of been taken right?? how can we get to see them???? there must be 1000's of photos of this area to be bull dosed down?????? who has them? birmingham city council???????????
i really want to see these photos,

Here pre spaghetti with Broadoaks road??? between powick & slade road,,

Bromford20Triangle233_edited-11-1.jpg

many many thanks Ricco,,

Re: Help needed PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!

ricco

I remember very little about the area you describe, even though I should as I am old enough to remember it well and I did pass that way often enough when working on Castle Vale when it was being built. Still I have these few photos that I have no doubt you will recognise better than I.

Attachments

• Erdington Gravelly Hill - Slade Rd 1966.JPG
    Erdington Gravelly Hill - Slade Rd 1966.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 165
  • Erdington Salford Bridge (4).jpg
    Erdington Salford Bridge (4).jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 159
  • Erdington Salford Bridge 1968.JPG
    Erdington Salford Bridge 1968.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 154
  • Erdington The Erdington Arms.jpg
    Erdington The Erdington Arms.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 157
  • Salford Bridge.jpg
    Salford Bridge.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 162

Hi ricco,
There would have been pics taken by the Council - now in the Local Studies of the Library You might to have search for them in the indexes - when we were looking for Warstone Lane Cemetery pics taken in 1953 - we eventually found out there were ina file marked Public Works Photos !!!!!!
Not catalogued or indexed!
Good hunting.

ps there was a pic recently of the back of Leamington Road taken from the canal - It was in a recent Alton Douglas book and posted because there is no such place now - it has disappeared from modern A-Z's as you know.
Brian

Hi Phil i had not seen those pictures before thank you for posting them up, nice one,

Brian i will endever to check the library out when i get chance many thanks,

can anyone else post up more pics please??

Oh guys has anyone got a better close up maybe of these houses? paticually the 4th house from the right of the photo,, many many thanks once again

OURHOUSE1940S.jpg

Ricco,

Here is Back of Leamington Road,

Before,
Salford_Bridge_Leamington_Rd_Rear_1968.jpg

And after,
NOWANDTHEN42.jpg

Ive got loads of before and afters if anyone wants to see them,

Ricco,,

ricco

A few more images of the same area to add to your collection.

Attachments

• Gravelly Hill Leamington Rd 1954.jpg
    Gravelly Hill Leamington Rd 1954.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Erdington Gravelly Hill - Tyburn Rd 1938.JPG
    Erdington Gravelly Hill - Tyburn Rd 1938.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Erdington Gravelly Hill 1924 .jpg
    Erdington Gravelly Hill 1924 .jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 138
Nice photos thank you Phil, if people could come back & see The monster that is spaghetti they would not know the area,

my mom has lived on slade road for 46years she used to do her shopping in that row of shops,, she has seen a lot of change,,

keep the photos coming please folks,

Many thanks Ricco,

As an aside - Yes Spaghetti may be seen as a Monster but thanks to the ingenuity of British road designers it ravaged probably a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the land that an American Clover Leaf would have taken up at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! Ive been good all year father christmas:afro: instead of presents this year can you please arange for me to time travel back Ooooooooooooo lets say 100 years!!!!!:smug:

Now wouldnt that be great to time travel!!!!!!!!!

I can dream hey!! lol

Many thanks Ricco,

Thank you for reminding me of the video, ive seen that footage wonderful to see it again,, my home is just out of view:blue: Doh!!! just my luck!!!!!!

Ricco,

Remembered this Youtube Video - https://youtu.be/7-_XTCP0FeE - This shows Trams from the 1950s running along Slade Road by the Railway Bridge - Timeline in film 1.16 - 1.30 approx

There is some great photos there and wonderful cine film. The trams are of special interest to me but all the street scenes are great too. What a difference a couple of decades can make....

Simon

I agree! used to really clean & tidy too back then,

Ricco,

There is some great photos there and wonderful cine film. The trams are of special interest to me but all the street scenes are great too. What a difference a couple of decades can make....

Simon

fasinating stuff Guys thank you very much indeed, Neil yes please mate, do you have anything looking at my house on slade road please number 45,
many many thanks Ricco,,,,

ricco

I remember very little about the area you describe, even though I should as I am old enough to remember it well and I did pass that way often enough when working on Castle Vale when it was being built. Still I have these few photos that I have no doubt you will recognise better than I.
Wonderful photos!

A few more. There’s only one dated. Viv.

Attachments

• 805C3EF0-16D7-44EC-BB9B-1B9E84538C9F.jpeg
    805C3EF0-16D7-44EC-BB9B-1B9E84538C9F.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 0B440C0E-A278-49CF-9319-5E5A9E374D61.jpeg
    0B440C0E-A278-49CF-9319-5E5A9E374D61.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 1F98D9AB-0625-4146-8351-15B268DD839B.jpeg
    1F98D9AB-0625-4146-8351-15B268DD839B.jpeg
    591.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 1F5994E8-1441-4982-ABDC-0E905272FD41.jpeg
    1F5994E8-1441-4982-ABDC-0E905272FD41.jpeg
    614.2 KB · Views: 72
hello mac and welcome....like most places since that photo was taken gravelly hill has change a lot but maybe someone will come along with suggestions...i was just wondering if that was a pub on the left corner but not so sure now

lyn

I added it in with Photoshop is a fibre effect. the whole set were put into a audio visual sideshow to music.

What I find interesting is the change already seen and recorded
Hi all. I've been trying to work out where this is now but I'm beaten! Where's the photo taken? Thanks. Mac

That photo is the bottom of Gravelly Hill, looking towards Salford Bridge. Erdington Arms on the right, then Slade Road. Minstead Road on the left

so am i correct in thinking that the buildings on the left corner of the photo would have been here mort...on the corner of minstead road

lyn

That photo is the bottom of Gravelly Hill, looking towards Salford Bridge. Erdington Arms on the right, then Slade Road. Minstead Road on the left

Thanks for the info. Fascinating how things are theae days and how they were some years ago. Cheers. Mac

Hi Lyn, yes, it got well trimmed back when they built the island, dual carrageway and ramp for the Aston Expressway

One of the buildings opposite the Erdington arms in the late sixties was the Bird cage Cafe, was a bit of a dive if I remember correctly.

Back