• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grandfather was a fireman?

Helen G

Almost a Brummie
View attachment 53935

I was given this photo recently. My Grandfather George John Smith born in Studley in 1906. He lived in either Redditch or Studley all his life. He was a carpenter and worked in a Battery factory in Redditch, I presume on the maintenance team.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few queries?

I believe Gramps may not have served in WW2 because he had a reserved occupation. Would there have been records kept of who had a reserved occupation?

Can anyone tell me if this photo dates from WW2? Maybe he was a volunteer fireman when he wasn't at work?

The lorry appears to have belonged to the Warwick County Fire Brigade, I therefore presume it would be the one based in Studley as that is where he lived for his married life. Does anyone know if records of the fire service in Studley still exist and if so where are they located?

This is quite an exciting find for me, I know very little about my Grampy Smith; he was a very reserved man. I would be so grateful for any help or advise with this.

Many thanks
Helen

Hello Helen,

The photo is almost certainly taken during WW11. The men are in the AFS (Auxilary Fire Brigade) and yes they did it in addition to their daily work.

Old Boy

Thanks Old Boy, do you think there would be records of my Grandfathers service with the AFB?

Helen

Thanks Old Boy, do you think there would be records of my Grandfathers service with the AFB?

Hi Helen,

It is probable that there are surviving records either at Warwick Record Office or still with Warwickshire Fire Service. I suggest that you write to :-

Warwickshire Fire and rescue Service,
Warwick Street,
Royal Leamington Spa.
Warwickshire
CV32 5LH

Old Boy

Thanks Len for the link.

Thanks too Old Boy for the address, I shall write off today

regards
Helen

Correction. The photograph was taken after World WarII. The vehicle is an ex National Fire Service Austin K2 ATV (Auxiliary Towing Vehicle) produced during the war .The legend "Warwick Couty Fire Brigade" on the side of the vehicle makes it clear that the photo was taken later because the Warwick County Fire Brigade was not established until 1948 when the Fire Service was transferred to the control of the County and County Borough Councils.

Back