• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

Derek 1953 was the year I left Locko and started work, so I can see we are in a different time warp, it would still be great to go back for a day to those times.
Cooperbill 7 There may have been an accumulator shop in Loxton Street but my 70 year old head is a bit fuzzy and it tells me there were no house on the opposite side of the road to the school. As I say my head is a bit Fuzzy.
Interestingly enough, i cant remember houses opp locko the flats yes but i can,t remember houses i,m with you ger22van fuzzy or what.
maybe someone can tell us different?
Derek

Interestingly enough, i cant remember houses opp locko the flats yes but i can,t remember houses i,m with you ger22van fuzzy or what.
maybe someone can tell us different?
Derek
Hi Derek & ger22van, I maybe mistaken, but I'm certain my cousins lived at number 5 Loxton street, there was a pub on the corner of the street,I think it was next to the school,on a Saturday night (weather permitting) they would bring out the piano and have a sing song outside the pub, this was in the 40s, but has both of you seem to think that there were no houses opposite the school I may have to visit the Birmingham library and recheck my facts,or maybe if another forum member who lived near loxton street in the early 40s could help my diminishing memory it would be most appreciated

hi coopbill7, have a look see. top of page click and open main sites scroll down and click on heartlands history,keep clicking forward,see what you find there of interest?
catch you later Derek.

Hi Derek, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, the pub is how I remember it, and the map seems to confirm that there were houses opposite the school in Loxton Street right down to Great Francis Street.although you were right in as much, that looking at the photo of the swan pub you can see the flats, and you would,at that time, be able to see them from Loxton Street school so your memory is correct in that respect

I don't think anyone would be sending a card like this one from Saltley these days.

I don't know when it dates from, but If that is an impression of Saltley at the time, printed on the middle of the card then, the old place sure has changed a little since then.

Phil

Attachments

• Advert Saltley Post Card.jpg
    Advert Saltley Post Card.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 11
I think these pictures are valuable. How reliable they are is not known but if one can accept that there is some intent on the artists part, to convey a semblance of reality in a picture of the actual place; then this may be the earliest view of The Gate, Saltley known of. The gate was originally a toll gate. I seem to recall from readings here that there was a tavern close by and I am sure there are very old maps on here depicting the spot. Well done.

Rupert

This is a photo of the Gate Inn Saltley c1860. It could be the building represented in the painting on my previous post. The Gate Inn or replacement pubs stood on the same spot for very many years and the latest one was only demolished in recent times.

Phil

Attachments

• Saltley High St The Gate Inn 1860.jpg
    Saltley High St The Gate Inn 1860.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 12
Oh my how it has changed, I wish it were for the better. My hubby grew up in Saltley and The Gate was always a sort of landmark. I remeber the last time I saw it a couple of years ago after a fire it was very sad!
The postcard is just beautiful thanks for posting it Phil.

Oh my how it has changed, I wish it were for the better. My hubby grew up in Saltley and The Gate was always a sort of landmark. I remeber the last time I saw it a couple of years ago after a fire it was very sad!
The postcard is just beautiful thanks for posting it Phil.

It's as flat as a pancake now i'm afraid.

Delightful photo and gosh you are right. The picture does resemble the photograph in outline and there is an earlier map that shows the area that was before the railway and canal and shows a lane leading to Saltley Hall which may have been an extension of old Mill Lane and may be the lane on your postcard. It may be that when the canal and railway came the lane was re-routed somewhat and Adderley Road was made. The bridge on the map was to become Saltley Viaduct and spanned much more than the Rea. Included is the 1890 Ordnance Survey and an earlier map previously posted by you.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10095&ox=1745&oy=1989&zm=1&czm=1&x=321&y=288

The postcard picture might well have been looking east towards High Street from the Adderley Road area. So the lane with the sheep on may well have become Adderley Road with a slight re-route.

Rupert

You are probably right in your assumptions about the painting and photo of Saltley. We tend to forget that these now heavily urbanised places like Saltley, Moseley, Acocks Green, Kings Norton and others were once just villages on the outskirts of Birmingham.

When they have been heavily industrialised. it seems that it makes it harder to imagine them as picturesque rural country villages.

Phil.

Phil, I think the photo you posted of the 1860 Gate Inn, Saltley, is magnificent, the clothes and everything about it seems to shout "well to do". The photography is also excellent for the era.

sylviasayers

Yes you are right, the picture simply exudes oppulence doesn’t it. A far cry from a few years later. Though I don’t think Saltley was ever as badly off as Nechells and Vauxhall and surrounding areas. I think though taking things into account as they are today, Saltley is now faring the worse.

Here is a much later photo of the Gate, the only thing to survive from the original building is the piece of stonework above the first floor windows.

Phil

Attachments

• Saltley High St The Gate.jpg
    Saltley High St The Gate.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 14
GREAT pics of the Gate Inn, Saltley. This I believe is the 1,000 post on this thread!!! Keep up the good work it's obviously very popular.

This may be deemed off thread but I cant find anywhere else to put this picture. The milkman is 14 years of age.
Photo replaced by what I am pretty sure is the same as the original

fowler Bros milkman.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
According to my book (Balsall Heath & Highgate) he was Philip Fowler aged 13 (a big lad) Probably working in the family business. which could have been Fowlers Dairy of Sparkhill and Acocks Green.

Mike It doesn't say where it was taken, but there again our Co op horse used to manage to get from Vauxhall to Balsall Heath each day to deliver our milk. So anything is possible. Mind you it used to have another load of milk sent out by lorry at dinner time and it was transfered over to the horse & cart at the bottom of our road each day.

Phil

I admit Phil, that I had assumed that the milk would be delivered from a depot (or whatever they called it in those days) no more than 1 mile away, and thought Sparkhill was too far. Hadn't realised that they had top ups like the postman do today.

mike

Ernie

Where are you, we haven't heard from you for a while. I found some more pictures of White's Removals from Great Lister St for you..

White's removals was founded by J.F.White in 1888 in Cromwell St with Shire Horses and Drays as their method of transportation. As they grew they moved to Oliver St and then on to Great Lister St. As they grew their method of transport also changed from horse & cart to steam lorry and on to motorised vehicles.

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells Great Lister St White's Nechells Removals 1.jpg
    Nechells Great Lister St White's Nechells Removals 1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Nechells Great Lister St White's Removals 2.jpg
    Nechells Great Lister St White's Removals 2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Nechells Great Lister St White's Removals 3.jpg
    Nechells Great Lister St White's Removals 3.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Nechells White's Removals 4 .jpg
    Nechells White's Removals 4 .jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Nechells White's Removals 5 .jpg
    Nechells White's Removals 5 .jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 9
Hi Phil grt pics of white,s removals.
i remember them well living in Cromwell st
they stick in my mind more from grt Lister st,almost
opp fletchers,that's a nice one outside Aston hall is it?
regards Derek.

Derek

Yes there are some good photo's there, and the one outside Aston Hall wasn't just a photo shoot. They were there moving all the contents out to storage whilst the hall was being renovated in 1983.

Phil

hi all. theres to many pages to go through to see if this pic has already been posted so i will risk it hasnt

terraces in duddeston 1950.. sorry no location.

astoness

Attachments

• Nechells Coleman Stree 13 Court bhf.jpg
    Nechells Coleman Stree 13 Court bhf.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 9
glad you like it derek..and a merry christmas to you and your family,,

have a good one.

lyn

Yes, Merry Christmas to all...the picture is a wonderfull shot of something that is...perhaps summed up best by Kandor...'the worst anywhere'. If Kandor sees this I hope he is having a Merry Christmas too...and Di and others who have left...including Cromwell.

Best wishes,
Rupert

Back