• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Google Street View Distortions

brummy-lad

master brummie
I was checking around Waterworks Street and was unable to find a reference to the tower block there, the sign seemed to say Mormanel Tower, looking at a later date highlighted the 's' in Normansell. It's fascinating that only the lettering was distorted, the rest of the image appeared correct.

Attachments

• normansell-tower.jpg
    normansell-tower.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 17
I think the lettering has just fallen off the sign over time. I once saw a video showing an unfortunate Street View picture. Someone looking online at Google Earth had noticed that the camera car had driven past a house (in Cornwall, if I remember correctly) and captured an image of a chap in his front room, erm, “Relaxing in a Gentleman’s manner” as it were.
That picture definitely wasn’t distorted, either.

It's a mystery really, the image on the right showing the 's' is from just before demolition, the image on the left is an earlier one with the windows still intact.

I think the lettering has just fallen off the sign over time. I once saw a video showing an unfortunate Street View picture. Someone looking online at Google Earth had noticed that the camera car had driven past a house (in Cornwall, if I remember correctly) and captured an image of a chap in his front room, erm, “Relaxing in a Gentleman’s manner” as it were.
That picture definitely wasn’t distorted, either.
But on the left photo there doesn't seem to be a space for the "s".

But on the left photo there doesn't seem to be a space for the "s".
Well spotted Janice, I hadn’t noticed that! Using Astoness’ link above it seems that as the camera progresses past the sign it does indeed distort the image of it, with letters vanishing then reappearing. I guess that one picture is a fluke.

Attachments

• IMG_3359.jpeg
    IMG_3359.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3360.jpeg
    IMG_3360.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3361.jpeg
    IMG_3361.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3363.jpeg
    IMG_3363.jpeg