• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Good music to listen to on U Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the hopeful stories in the news about possible vaccines to help the populace fight the pandemic, a dose of reality before they cancel Christmas:-

;);)

Last edited:
Brilliant, John, even today's clarinet players rate him as the best ever, far better than Benny Goodman. I read about a symphony orchestra, whose conductor decided that they would add Shaw's Clarinet Concerto to their repertoire using the orchestra's principal player as soloist. When the music arrived the written parts included Shaw's original improvised solo. No mean player, the soloist tried, but said that he couldn't play it. Today's foremost clarinettist, the Israeli player Anat Cohen, who is also a jazz player, said that Shaw was her idol and that the piece was indeed very difficult.

Shaw only stopped playing because he couldn't stand being famous, despite his umpteen wives. Wherever he went, he could get no privacy with people continually butting in to get his autograph. In the end he had to grow a full beard after he had retired to stop some of the intrusion. Anyway, here is the piece in question:-

Maurice :cool:

Thanks for the other Shaw pieces, both favourites of mine from listening to Alan Dell on Radio 2 on Monday nights. Certainly used to beat watching Coronation Street! While I realise that little of this sort of stuff appeals to modern listeners, the ability through using the net to capture virtually any sort of music you might want is a great reason for having an internet connection. These pieces tend to the more swing and jazz end of the genre, but there are also the Society Bands, very different, and possibly even further from modern taste.

One of my old Dad’s favourites.

And, one of mine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the other Shaw pieces, both favourites of mine from listening to Alan Dell on Radio 2 on Monday nights. Certainly used to beat watching Coronation Street! While I realise that little of this sort of stuff appeals to modern listeners, the ability through using the net to capture virtually any sort of music you might want is a great reason for having an internet connection. These pieces tend to the more swing and jazz end of the genre, but there are also the Society Bands, very different, and possibly even further from modern taste.

One of my old Dad’s favourites.

And, one of mine.

John I don't know what society bands are but i recently discovered the Village Stompers, is this Dixieland?

Agreed, John, there's room for all styles & tastes and you don't have to press the start button if you don't fancy what's on offer! I don't bother to post such as Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock & Hiromi as it appeals to only about three of us, and the same applies to much of the classical repertoire that I play to myself. However, a lot of the stuff performed by the John Wilson Orchestra appeals to a fairly wide spectrum, so here's one:-

The Society Bands tended to be dance music outfits like Russ Morgan and Guy Lombardo, plus Shep Fields, Horace Heidt, Leo Reisman and Roger Wolfe Kahn, who played dance, rather than jazz or swing music. Some of them were attached to hotels, or were more into film type music. I suppose a British example would be the difference between Jack Hylton and Nat Gonella.

Thank you, John, I don't think I've ever heard that all the way through before.

The one below has been recorded by so many people, but you can't beat the original Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young version from 1970 and here they are 50 years later performing it in concert with a little audience participation. The "flowers" were picked by and put into a "vase" bought by Joni Mitchell when she and Graham Nash were living together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back