• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Good music to listen to on U Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
After my comment about Billy Cotton’s female vocalists, and then the examples from above which show that possibly it was poor choices, not that the ladies weren’t about and singing on top form, please listen to this song. One of my young colleagues was using my (company) car for some trip, came back into the office and said “that’s one heck of a good singer doing something about Fools rush in on your cassette player, who is she?” (Anne Shelton)

I don’t think we need to add anything, perhaps except to say Bert Ambrose could pick a better singer than Bill C.

Each is entitled to his own, but it should be kept as his own, and not forcibly shared with other folks.

BTW - I loved “I got yow Bab” best laugh I’ve had for ages, especially the “Bab”, couldn’t be any more Brummy if it tried.
And my mate Baginton mate Mick doing his best Brummie rendering to my Blacky Country one, of Jowlayne, Jowlayne, Jowlayne Jowlay ay ayne, arm beggin of yow playse dow tek ma mon,. We got sent out out.

Maybe it’s about time for another British dance band from the 30s, and I’m sure if you don’t like them somebody will tell me to cease and desist. At least the one advantage of a 10” 78 is that it can’t have wasted more than about 3 1/2 minutes of your life.

It’s good ol’ Billy Cotton, but those who recall the gloopy outfit of the 50s/60s tv band shows may be surprised at the way this 1933 recording belts along. Sam Browne on the vocals, apparently, and at least a degree and a half better than Alan Breeze, the band’s longtime vocalist. As for his female vocalists, least said....
e
wakey wakey. my mom loved that show.

I liked Goodness Gracious Me, Sophia Lauren and Peter Sellers.Probably not PC now. And Bangers and Mash, Sophia with Joe Brown. Joyce Grenfell. The Flight of the Bumble Bee, and the Typewriter. And Rolf Harris's offerings again sadly probably not allowed now. Like Jake The Peg. Young Apprenctice etc, In the Brood, I think that was him? I've lost my mommie etc. And Two Little Boys.

Maybe it’s about time for another British dance band from the 30s, and I’m sure if you don’t like them somebody will tell me to cease and desist. At least the one advantage of a 10” 78 is that it can’t have wasted more than about 3 1/2 minutes of your life.

It’s good ol’ Billy Cotton, but those who recall the gloopy outfit of the 50s/60s tv band shows may be surprised at the way this 1933 recording belts along. Sam Browne on the vocals, apparently, and at least a degree and a half better than Alan Breeze, the band’s longtime vocalist. As for his female vocalists, least said....

One of the best shows we ever saw at the Hip was the Billy Cotton Band, it was a fantastic evening. There I have said it, we had seen all those British groups and singers that appeared between 1959 and 1962, but I can still remember the fun generated by Billy Cotton. That from a man who had revered big. bands for years and the maestros of modern jazz....what has happened since?

BOB

I think that the live performance of such a band would differ quite markedly from the radio output. I never saw this band live, but have seen various others like the NDO and Joe Loss and there is little comparison. If Billy Cotton had one thing going for him, it must have been experience, he had been going since the 1920s.

Prefer the Bobby Darin version
Bob
I like Sacha Distel's version and this one. I didn't realise we had so many French songs about in the past. I bought a double CD redone for my partner. She said they were too old for her but my parents loved them and knew them. Like Parlez Moi d'amour. Yababdabada.

It’s a nice, relaxing Sunday morning, and I’m sitting here awaiting the cricket commentary so it seems time for another visit to songs ancient and modern.

Ancient: American (nearly) society bands have always fascinated me so how about Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians in 1928, Coquette?

Now modern : the same song, played by Tuba Skinny in 2019. They’re a bit good.

Now, to the serious business of awarding the flowers.
Bouquets of roses for the two ladies in Tuba Skinny, without doubt.
A pint of Flower’s (not the keg) for the bloke on the clarinet, and cauliflowers for those idiots who clap soloists while the band is still playing.

Bouquet garni for the Lombardo outfit, and a bucket of steroids for its vocalist.

By your leave, a chance for the Royal Canadians to redeem their honour, and to demonstrate the effect of the steroids on Carmen Lombardo. 1950s

Last edited:
I can't attach this (I tried) but it's my step daughter Carrie singing. On You Tube or Google it's called Headstrong featuring Carrie Skipper and Ghost Wars. Their previous album is Luna Velvet - Closed Book. I love the videos. Have a listen.

That's one of them. Thank you for posting it. Angel Blue Eyes is not one of my favourites.
I like the ones they have done without Ghost Wars who I think is the male Vocalist here. The one I was trying to post is called Trouble but there several are others I liked such as Closed Book, Molly Lou which is folk, Holding on and Home and Amelia.Two of the Waterboys play on some of these and Troy Donockley, flautist of Barbara Dickson. We nor Carrie dosen't like her voice being engineered. But that's what they do.

John,

Re: your post #219, we went to a funeral here of a Brit and stood a good few yards back from the graveside. The hearse drew up and he was interred, and then as we were all getting ready to go, the driver flung open the doors of the hearse and out blasted Gracie Fields singing "Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye". :)

Maurice :cool:
Maurice. You will enjoy this true tale I have to tell. In 1956 A friend and I rode our bikes all over Europe, We rode down the Amalfi Coast (even lived to say so) The traffic was not bad then but no guardrails!!, BUT we went to the Isle of Capri, We had been told that Gracie had a villa there, Well we found the villa and went up the door and knocked NO ONE HOME!! Not sure what we would have done IF she had answered! Did take a side trip to the Blue Grotto that was well worth the visit.

Hi John,

Well as they say, if you don't try you don't get! Never been down the peninsular and across to the island. Pompeii site is well worth a visit, but the town itself has now gone to the dogs. Last time I drove round the Naples area it was just a mass of unfinished roadworks. They ran out of money I guess because it was the same state as it was five years previous!

But just to keep this on topic, here's one for Richard, which was played at the Town Hall concert way back in the late 1950s.

Hi John,

Well as they say, if you don't try you don't get! Never been down the peninsular and across to the island. Pompeii site is well worth a visit, but the town itself has now gone to the dogs. Last time I drove round the Naples area it was just a mass of unfinished roadworks. They ran out of money I guess because it was the same state as it was five years previous!

But just to keep this on topic, here's one for Richard, which was played at the Town Hall concert way back in the late 1950s.

Magic, the greatest, did John Lewis not finish teaching at Juilliard? What film was this from?

Bob

Hi Bob,

The English title was No Sun In Venice, but it was a Roger Vadim film based on a novel he had written previously, so the French title translated as One Never Knows. It was never released in the States nor put onto tape or DVD, so it looks as though we shall never see it as some 63 years have elapsed. A pity, because from IMDB it sounds like a very good film.

As far as teaching goes, it is recorded that he taught until fairly late in life, but there is no record of him ever being associated with Juilliard. He taught at Manhattan School of Music at the same time that Bill Evans was there, and he has an Honorary Doctorate from Berklee, but his name doesn't appear on this list:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Juilliard_School_people#Notable_teachers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back