• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Good music to listen to on U Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
when i was in bham.there was a place called sparkies they collected them.... I tryd to move one once. and twang, something went,and it was not me bracers.:grinning:
It was in Sparkhill or Sparkbrook I think. My grandson ate the ivory off the keys, he was a few months old. I stuck them back on and glued the keys together. ! So I got the sandpaper out. It is badly out of tune, I keep saying I will get it tuned.
There used to be an excellent pianist in Coventry nicknamed Sparky.
I loved Sparky's magic piano as a child, I am sure it is on you tube.

My Father was a concert pianist. we always had a Bluthner grand piano in the front room, I grew up in a classical music family and was real opera buff, I have visited almost all off the famous opera houses Covent garden, LaScala Milan, Caracalla baths in Rome, it was a real treat, to see Aida. with real animals in the 1950 (I understand that they still have opera there). When I stated cycle racing in the late 1940s I use to hum opera as I raced, helped with my rhythm and concentration. I was never much of a improvising Sax player, played the charts. The reason I am in the USA is because I wanted to play in one of the big studio bands there. Never happened of course, competition was fierce, But no regrets still love the classics all of course jazz I still have a very large collection of jazz and opera records a few of my favorites in fact Coltrane's Favorite things top of my list. When I arrived in the USA we wen to the Blackhawk Jazz club in San francisco and even got to attempt to shake hands with Miles he said "Yeh Man" (He was smoking a fag!) and Trane was there also. happtimesView attachment 141746

Wow! What a legend.

I confess that jazz does not form the biggest part of my collection, though I have plenty of releases. I think without doubt my favourite jazz track ever has to be :
Starting at about 2.30mins, check out the guitar solo followed by the drum workout. Epic!

It was in Sparkhill or Sparkbrook I think. My grandson ate the ivory off the keys, he was a few months old. I stuck them back on and glued the keys together. ! So I got the sandpaper out. It is badly out of tune, I keep saying I will get it tuned.
There used to be an excellent pianist in Coventry nicknamed Sparky.
I loved Sparky's magic piano as a child, I am sure it is on you tube.
sparky

Last edited:
Funny about pianos, we have one in the front room, I use tinker around on it, but arthritis and poor sight now not possible, tried to get rid off the piano, no one wants it can't even give it away. Everything now, electronic compact small. You want a piano come get it it yours

its lovely old brit...if i could get to you i would :grinning:

lyn

John,

I didn't realise you were an opera buff. About half a dozen times every winter we go to screenings of the streamed events from the Grand Met. This year has been a bit disrupted because the dish has had to be taken down while they carry out roof repairs to the theatre. We're told that they have been recorded elsewhere and will be screened later in the year. I hope so because a couple of Puccini operas and Gershwin's Porgy & Bess were part of this winter's programme.

Maurice :cool:

I wonder how many pianos are still in folks front rooms.:)
What was really tragic, When my Dear Dad passed away, My sister Joan, had to clear out his house and sell it. The Bluthner Grand Piano, in the front room was full of rot, from the damp and no central heat those days. The piano almost fell completely apart, was worth nothing, plus the floor underneath it was all rotted out and they have to replace that. not a good thing.

What was really tragic, When my Dear Dad passed away, My sister Joan, had to clear out his house and sell it. The Bluthner Grand Piano, in the front room was full of rot, from the damp and no central heat those days. The piano almost fell completely apart, was worth nothing, plus the floor underneath it was all rotted out and they have to replace that. not a good thing.
shame. my gran had an organ built into the front room,(glad i did not live next door) when she died we had to dismantle it and scrap it. my mom could play it. but she said i am not having that bl***y thing in our house :grinning:

I watch Youtube very often, mostly music...But unlike most people of my age, do not have much in common as far as taste in music goes. I have been listening to music seriously since I was a child, and still do to this day. My appetite for music is in constant change and ever evolving. I listen to modern music that gets my attention...The internet has made it possible to hear music previously unavailable and has opened my ears to music from all around the globe.
Dave A

My tastes vary from Purcell to modern jazz and a few bits that just appear from almost nowhere. But probably like many people, I have to be in a particular frame of mind or mood to fully appreciate what I am listening to at that particular point in time. Sometimes a tune will go around in my head for days on end. Even occasionally I feel inclined to sit down and make an arrangement of something, but rarely these days as laziness will keep me full plonked on my backside and I never get around to it....or a different tune is occupuying my brainspace! :cool: It's not as it I am doing it for money any longer, though that should not be the driving force if you like something enough, and can actually be counterproductive.

My ex-bass player has a mate who lives just down the road from him and they get together and record something once in a while, so that gives him a bit of an impetus even though it is only for kicks. The guy plays reasonable guitar and has a good singing voice.

My tastes vary from Purcell to modern jazz and a few bits that just appear from almost nowhere. But probably like many people, I have to be in a particular frame of mind or mood to fully appreciate what I am listening to at that particular point in time. Sometimes a tune will go around in my head for days on end. Even occasionally I feel inclined to sit down and make an arrangement of something, but rarely these days as laziness will keep me full plonked on my backside and I never get around to it....or a different tune is occupuying my brainspace! :cool: It's not as it I am doing it for money any longer, though that should not be the driving force if you like something enough, and can actually be counterproductive.

My ex-bass player has a mate who lives just down the road from him and they get together and record something once in a while, so that gives him a bit of an impetus even though it is only for kicks. The guy plays reasonable guitar and has a good singing voice.

We are fortunate in Denver Colorado USA to have a 24hr JAZZ station KUVO.ORG Great music have it one almost all day play just about everything you could wish for.

Speaking of Purcell, I love the Dublin Saunter sung by Noel Purcell, my late friend's party piece. I like everything really apart from rap, some country and western, and doobie doobie doo jazz. I like to jam with my birth cousin, we really hit it off musically, harmonies even, I wouldn't have been brave enough to normally.
I can't get a decent sound on You Tube, can't beat vinyl except for the real thing. O do like You Tube for listening to music I would have never listened to before and what people have included here. So thank you.

Well ours is still there. My partner wants some material to recover the back.
My parents bought one for me for £5 a Rogers Engblut off the neighbours, they struggled and sweated to get it round the jitty all cinders and bumps on this little wooden trolley. We had mum's old piano stool when she was a girl, very stylish black elegant bowed legs very fine with a very dark blue black quilted silk seat with an embroidered flower in one corner. I don't know what happened to it. I fell off it that many times.

There is one in the Tipperary Inn nr Warwick made in to an aquarium complete with keys. Maybe one of the fish is a tuna?

John,

To hear much jazz from our local stations you need to stay up until around 2:00am, otherwise it is Greek tarditional or pop.

Nico,

All music on YouTube is compressed to Hell and there's not a lot you can do about that. And I'm talking about this Henry Purcell.

John,

To hear much jazz from our local stations you need to stay up until around 2:00am, otherwise it is Greek tarditional or pop.

Nico,

All music on YouTube is compressed to Hell and there's not a lot you can do about that. And I'm talking about this Henry Purcell.

Yes I know you are. We listened to him at school. We called him Persil. They gave a piece of classical every assembly and we filed in and out to two pieces. One they used in Raging Bull and opera cross over singers sing Sancta Maria to it. And one was cheerful to liven us up I suppose. I really like Morning by Grieg. And Hansel and Gretel with children singing.

Love that and Bells Across The Meadows.
A mature lady in my office when I was a junior, loved the Robins Return? Nan used to play The Fairy Wedding and The Maiden's Prayer, very dramatically, La Petite Waltz and Carolina Moon. On the piano but she had to be in the mood. I will see if they are on You Tube.
yes they just played them:)

Gave me the shivers. Nan crossed her hands over for the Maiden's Prayer she was stong fingered/handed the chap I just listened to didn't cross over, I couldn't see him playing it. She had strong fingers for the trill in the Fairy Wedding. I used to pull my pullover over my thumb and do it. It hurt.!

Gave me the shivers. Nan crossed her hands over for the Maiden's Prayer she was stong fingered/handed the chap I just listened to didn't cross over, I couldn't see him playing it. She had strong fingers for the trill in the Fairy Wedding. I used to pull my pullover over my thumb and do it. It hurt.!
just watched it, i like the old fogie with the violin best

I can't get a decent sound on You Tube, can't beat vinyl except for the real thing.

NERD ALERT : The sound on You Tube is rubbish. The sound on platforms like Spotify is awful, even if you pay for the slightly enhanced sound via premium service. MP3 files are compressed to the point that they sound like you are listening to something in another room.
Up until recently the only digital files I would accept are WAV see : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV
which are uncompressed and offer sound equal to CDs. Of course I have to feed these files through a DAC to recapture the
warmth of vinyl - or indeed, the sound in the studio if you were fortunate enough to sit in during the recording session.
Now though we have Hi-Res audio through sites such as https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/shop
which make a CD sound pretty ordinary.
Of course, these have to go through the aforementioned DAC which is either built into a half decent integrated amplifier or a separate unit by the likes of https://cambridgeaudio.com/en/products/hi-fi/dac
Believe me, if you listen to music like this it can almost sound like the band are playing in your living room.
END OF NERD ITEM

NERD ALERT : The sound on You Tube is rubbish. The sound on platforms like Spotify is awful, even if you pay for the slightly enhanced sound via premium service. MP3 files are compressed to the point that they sound like you are listening to something in another room.
Up until recently the only digital files I would accept are WAV see : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV
which are uncompressed and offer sound equal to CDs. Of course I have to feed these files through a DAC to recapture the
warmth of vinyl - or indeed, the sound in the studio if you were fortunate enough to sit in during the recording session.
Now though we have Hi-Res audio through sites such as https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/shop
Of course, these have to go through the aforementioned DAC which is either built into a half decent integrated amplifier or a separate unit by the likes of https://cambridgeaudio.com/en/products/hi-fi/dac
Believe me, if you listen to music like this it can almost sound like the band are playing in your living room.
END OF NERD ITEM
my sound is ok,i have a surround sound.but the pics are awfull very blurred at times. i have tried,Dailymotion that is worse.

END OF NERD ITEM
I like the "nerd alert" however, talking about sound reproduction is such a subjective topic, it's almost like discussing politics or religion. I don't consider myself to be a nerd of any kind, but I do have a "good ear" when listening to music, albeit, not as good as it used to be. I don't have a problem with YouTube or subsequent MP3 sound. I am fortunate enough to have a basement that is dedicated to listening to music, c/w a decent sound system, that can make most recordings very listenable. I make live music recordings too using WAV files, which as you mentioned, are like CD quality. My main point is that most people cannot tell the difference between file formats, and is not about capability or intelligence, just about the hearing process. So, when you say that the sound on YouTube is rubbish, this is a personal position that is not shared universally.

Dave A

I typed my notes within the Nerd header and footer so that it could all be taken a bit tongue-in-cheek. However, this is how I listen to music and, yes, I am a bit nerdy about it. I was only responding to Nico who typed “I can't get a decent sound on You Tube” and trying to explain a little about the different bit rates. So compared to WAV the sound on You Tube cannot possibly offer the same listening experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back