• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gold Beater/ Watch maker

tandy

proper brummie kid
My Ancestor william Bright is listed as a gold beater on the 1861 census lodging in Suffolk street with the head of the house Thomas Hutchins a bronze maker.
By 1871 william is now married and described as a Watch maker living with his wife jane his sons alfred and henry and his brother Henry who is also a watch maker it looks as if they are all living in Pershore Road?
Could anyone tell me of any History or further records I may be able to access on Gold Beaters/ Watch makers in Birmingham at this time.

Many Thanks

In the Genealogy program (I've forgotten its name) on BBC1 a week ago on Patsy Kensit, one of her ancestors was a gold beater, and his records were in The Goldsmith's Companies archives. I'm not sure if that was only london, though I would doubt that, but its worth trying. Enquiries to:
https://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/thelibrary/enquiries.htm

Mike

Last edited:
Hi, The book I have found most useful is Watch and Clockmakers of Birmingham by Joseph McKenna. It outlines the history of the trade in Bham and lists about 1,300 clockmakers who worked in the city. The only Bright listed is Henry at 102 Bull St from 1841-2. I am very interested in the word "tandy" in blue letters. Is this your name? I have Joseph Tandy on my family tree with his six children. Shall we swap notes? regards Alan

Hello Alan,
My name is not Tandy but my Grandma was Flora Tandy, her father William was born in Aston Deritend 18th December 1871. Williams father died and I dont know what happened to his mother but the children all ended up in Marston green Cottage homes together with his sister Flora and brother Albert. I dont as yet have a joseph Tandy on my family tree but that doesnt necessarily mean we arent related.
Thanks for the the book information.

Best Regards
Gary

Back