• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

glass works or manufactuturers

barrie

master brummie
This is a bit of a long shot, but is it possible to locate the where abouts of a firm of Glass Makers named Porter in Brum around 1900.

The story goes that one of the family, Percy Porter, was disinherited when he "married beneath himself".

Ta very much.

Barrie.

Anybody knows about any glass works manufacturers in the aston area.
My great grandfather was Edwin Alfred Bates who in the 1901 census was a flint glass maker who was an employer. But in the 1881 census he was a glass blower who was a worker he lived in theodore street, when he passed away he lived in boldmere/wyld green sutton coldfield.
His fater was Edwin Bates a Japanner who married a Ann Kightley in 1863
she was the widow of Samuel Kieghtley.
Could anyone tell me what a Japanner is
Other family members i am res earching is
Evans of Upper sutton street, Victoria road
Jeffcoat/Jephcote/Jephcoat Thimblemill Road/ Victoria road
Newhouse & Burn

glass works

there are glass makers in Aston at the date you mentioned Kelly's circa 1900
Bates Victoria road
Brancomb Upper Webster street
Tomey Catherine street
all Aston

My first post, not sure if it's in the right section and if anyone can help, based in Rowley Regis, born in Brum, I collect Royal Brierley Studio glass and for two years have been trying to find people who worked there. I have tried my local forums with little success and have just started going to the Dudley archive centre, nothing yet and no joy from Broadfield House museum or the Ruskin centre. If anyone can help or point me in some other direction I would be most grateful.

Hello milomilo, I wondered if you had tried the Black Country Museum? They might have some ideas for you.
Is Broadfield the one by "Mad O'Rourkes Pie factory"? We went a few years ago, it was very interesting and it had a little lift for the disabled.
rosie.

Thanks for the reply Rosie, not tried there yet, I'm not sure it would have any information on something that is quite new (1985-96 ) Don't remember seeing a pie factory near Broadfield House, ta for looking.

Back