• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Glass Making in Smethwick c1850

Aidan

master brummie
My relative, John Alfred Lunn, is shown as a Glass Maker/Manufacturer living at Scotch Row Smethwick in the 1841C. In the 1851C he is working at the Crown Glass Works in Newton-le-Willows, Merseyside but in 1861C he's back in Smethwick as Glass Maker living in Nine Leasowes. Does anyone know of a Glass Works in Smethwick in the 1840s to 1860s in the area around Spon Lane/Oldbury Road https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=52...2.503684,-1.989942&spn=0.006949,0.013797&z=16 please? Any pointers gratefully received

Aiden

From 1841 to 1855 there were two manufacturers in Smethwick

Birmingham Plate Glass Co, Bridge st; Mnfrs. of silvered, polished, and rough plate glass; E. Gibbins, Esq, managing director. Mr. Charles Berkley, manager,and Mr.A. Hoggius, secretary
(in 1845 it is listes as Gibbons & Co)

Chance Bros, & Co, (and alkali) Spon lane

Chance Bros lasted many years after the time you are interested in, but don’t seem to be included in the 1858 or 1862 directories. Neither does the other company, so not sure if that one lasted.
mike

Mike - thanks yet again for a great response. Chance Brothers seems the most likely.

Anyone have any info or particularly any pics of the Chance Glass Works please?

Chance bros.made the glass for the Crystal Palace,built for the 1851 great exhibition,and they did it all in 3 months.Perhaps, the workload was so great they needed skilled workers,from wherever,hence, employing men from Mersyside.

:rolleyes: he was born in Tipton....

Plus - it appears Chance bought the works from Crown Glass in 1824, who I think were based in St Helens, and appears it went back to them in the form of Pilkingtons in 1981

Mike - thanks yet again for a great response. Chance Brothers seems the most likely.

Anyone have any info or particularly any pics of the Chance Glass Works please?

The 'Black Country Bugle' archives have loads of stuff re' the world famous Chance Bros glass-works.

Hi
Have just found out that Sandwell Library has the old Chance Brothers records and that they are now search-able, but you have to go there to check. There was an article in The Bugle dated 20th April too.
Delia

Plus - it appears Chance bought the works from Crown Glass in 1824, who I think were based in St Helens, and appears it went back to them in the form of Pilkingtons in 1981

No, Robert Lucas Chance bought the The British Crown Glass Co. in 1824, which was originally formed in 1815. This was in Smethwick and was the basis for Chance Brothers. If you need any other questions answered about the company, just fire away!

I make regular trips to Sandwell to view the Archives, but it is a mind-boggling task. The paperwork is equivalent to about 30 cu. metres and there are 400 books and ledgers to wade through. Fortunately, Laura Brett has made some great advances in sorting the archive - see Laura's blog here: https://www.chancearchive.blogspot.com - you'll see me on one of the photographs.(Link does not work)

My aim is to write the complete history of Chance Brothers (see my web site www.chanceglass.net) and estimate it will take at least another two years before the book is published. This history will be called Chance Reflections and will complement Chance Expressions (already in print) and Chance Additions (hopefully published this year).

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks David, that's most interesting. It is rare to complain that there is too much records rather than not enough!

My point, though probably incorrect, was that I understood British Crown Glass Co originated from St Helen's. There was certainly an early factory there called Newton (Crown) Glass Works and my reletive worked first at Chance, then St Helen's, then back with Chance which made me think they were connected. As Crown Glass was just a category of Glass, perhaps St Helen's was a different company. I attach a pic of them when Charles Borron later took it over. The website at https://www.n-le-w.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=270&Itemid=75 suggests that Chance's actually took that company over in 1855 - so I was wrong on both counts. :rolleyes:

Well, you're nearly right!

The link to Newton-le-Willows (I am subscribed to that forum as well - the article is a good summary) is quite complex and involves a cartel of Chance, Pilkington Brothers in St Helens and Hartleys in Sunderland (John Hartley and his sons were also partners at Chance until 1836) often fixing prices to force smaller companies out of business. When the small company had reached desperate straits, the three conglomerates would buy it up and either let it continue manufacturer or, quite often, dismantle it.

I have photographed the original agreement between the owner of N-le-W glassworks, William Stock, and the 'Three' in which it states (paraphrased) that the owner must not produce glass in competition with them. I'd need to ferret it out for the exact wording, and I can't remember which of the 'Three' actually bought it up.

Another point that might have rankled the 'Three' is that N-le-W might have been recruiting workers from around the country, which could also have prompted the action. Indeed, if your ancestor did work there c.1851, then that might prove the case, although it depends whether the influx of workers were skilled crown glass blowers, or just semi-skilled or labourers. I suspect that if he migrated between the two he was either a skilled worker or, perhaps, even a manager.

But there were more than one glassworks at St Helens, so it is easy to get confused.

My sister is the archivist for the Chance collection at Smethwick Library where the archive service is based. She has kept a blog on all her findings so far and this can be accessed at www.chancearchive.blogspot.com. If you need anything in particular it is worth paying a visit to the Library or contacting my sister directly, her name is Laura Brett and she can be contacted through the library on 0121 558 2561.

Thanks for that - in fact I see Laura most Fridays. She has proved most helpful to me in my research, although I was led to understand her term on the Chance Archives ended last Friday (16th July). I think she is continuing on other projects at Sandwell for a little while though.

Back