• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Georgian & Regency Birmingham

• Thread starter Thread starter BernardR
  • Start date Start date
B

BernardR

I have just come across this interesting Blog when mooching around on Google. Not sure if it has already been posted but if it has let me know and I will remove this post.

Much to debate and wonder about. Fascinating to me is that the debates about the design of buildings raged just as much back then as they do now. The Blog appears to be a rich source of information and illustrations of historic Birmingham.

Enjoy

Bernie

This blog is maintained by one of our members - cuppateabiscuit.

There's always something new to read on there - I love it :)

huttonblueplaquecopy2.jpg

https://mappingbirmingham.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/i-have-for-ever-quitted-birmingham-as.html

Photograph of the house from the blue plaque before it was removed in the 1920s, and a description of the events that led to William Hutton moving out in 1791.

I saw some of those things at the Birmingham History Galleries the other day.

Part of the classical aedicule that surrounded the door to Union Street's
dispensary. Made from cement designed to look like stone, by William
Hollins c. 1808. This sculpture is the only surviving part of the building.
The text reads: 'OF THE MOST HIGH COMETH HEALING'.

Door of the Debtor's Prison, from the exhibition
Birmingham: it's people, it's history at BMAG.

It is so great that the B'ham History Galleries are now putting on show what was previously hidden in storage. A friend of mine worked at Aston Hall and she helped pack up for the refurbishment; she said it was amazing how many items BMAG actually have in their possession. She found it really interesting looking through the collections, that aren't on display.

Regarding Aston Hall, I wonder if anyone would like a bit of a mystery....there is a painting in the Best Drawing Room at the hall that BMAG have allowed me to reproduce on my blog (I havn't posted it yet, but there is a preview here https://mappingbirmingham.blogspot.co.uk/p/painting-in-bmag-collection.html ). The museum are uncertain who the sitter is, yet they have a picture of St. Philip's in a portfolio that they are holding within the painting. It is believed to be painted by James Millar, but anyone involved with that church were old when Millar was painting and the sitter is young. It is very puzzling, and may be an unsolvable puzzle, but the museum would be very pleased if they could discover some more information.

I PREDICT A RIOT

priestley 1783 ish.jpg

Just a little more than 200 years ago the Priestley Riots or 'Church and King' Riots were brewing in Birmingham, venting fear and anger towards the political and religious views of many of the religious Dissenters. Leading up to the riots, that began July 14th, I have been looking at the background, and will be following the riots as they spark up. Hope you find it interesting...
https://mappingbirmingham.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Joseph Priestley

Back