• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Terrace, Nechells

C

cornwall col

Can anyone tell me when George Terrace dissapeared it is there in 1936 but gone by 1969, was it simply redeveloped or was it a vicitim of the blitz. Also can anyone confirm if Nechells itself was bombed heavily in WWII as was Aston and Deritend amongst other parts of the city. any help gratefully received

Bombed same everwhere

Hi Cornwall Col :) What Street was George Terrace on ? People can
then look for you in Kelly,s or other sources to find When it "Went".

Nechells was & still is a heavy industrialised suburb of Birmingham,
The Main Gas Works (Holders) Railways & Canals dissecting the area,
this was a Prime target in WW2 & heavily bombed as rest of B,ham,
Hoping this assists your Query,, Cheers John Y :cool:

Nearest I can get to it is Austin st, the next road up to Trevor St, which George Terrace was off.

Last edited:
my grandparents also lived at George Terrace on Trevor Street Nechells.

Postie, i dont know you already do i ? Someone emailed me that picture only a few wks ago when i was enquiring about George Terrace lol ;):D

Me and my family lived in George Terrace, Trevor Street in the 60's we moved out in October 1970, we were the last family to live at number 11 as the whole street was about to be demolished for redevelopment.

As far as I can tell from the maps, George Terrace was still there in 1982, but by 1996 had been replaced by Glovers Field Drive.

Phil

As far as I can tell from the maps, George Terrace was still there in 1982, but by 1996 had been replaced by Glovers Field Drive.

Phil
George Terrace off Trevor Street were 2 rows of 6 two up two down houses (6 each side) with 6 shared toilets at the top of the Terrace, no bathroom, Trevor Street was demolished not long after we moved out and new houses were built, George Terrace was replaced with one of these houses and no longer exists in any other name, Trevor Street is now Trevor Street West? what map our you looking at Phil?

Me and my family lived in George Terrace, Trevor Street in the 60's we moved out in October 1970, we were the last family to live at number 11 as the whole street was about to be demolished for redevelopment.
Hi, Tensmokes. My wife's family lived at 11 St George's Terrace in the 20’s until mid 40's. I wondered if you had any information or images of the house. Thank you.

Thanks Brummylad,
Will show the Mrs in the morning, her great grandparents and granddad lived there so she will be chuffed. I imagine this won't be my only request haha, she's big into family trees and both sides of her family are Brummie born and bred.

Through family tree we found out we both had relatives who played together, first team at St. Andrews! We were destined to be together lol.

Thanks Brummylad,
Will show the Mrs in the morning, her great grandparents and granddad lived there so she will be chuffed. I imagine this won't be my only request haha, she's big into family trees and both sides of her family are Brummie born and bred.

Through family tree we found out we both had relatives who played together, first team at St. Andrews! We were destined to be together lol.
Fred Harris (wife's)
Ted Duckhouse (mine)
They both had long careers at the Blues, other than what I've googled, no further info. Even though Fred was 6 years older, they retired the same year. I like to think they shared several ales together.

Fred Harris (wife's)
Ted Duckhouse (mine)
They both had long careers at the Blues, other than what I've googled, no further info. Even though Fred was 6 years older, they retired the same year. I like to think they shared several ales together.
A lovely discovery, yes it's amazing what crops up when you start delving into family history, of course pre-1960s family normally lived in the same town and in many cases in the same street. In my case I had 6 relations living within 100 yards of each other. It was common in my childhood to call neighbours auntie, it was only when I joined ancestry and researched my family that I found they were actually related.

Back