• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Street Harborne

LYNDA C

knowlegable brummie
I am trying to work out if there is a george street in Harborne I am looking at the 1881 cencus
and cant find george st today in Harborne The actual address I have is Rocks Yard, George Street, Harborne, Stafford !

I couldn't find it either, so I did an 1881 census address search on George Road, Harborne and it didn't find it on FMP
Harborne was part of Staffordshire, so that bit is right. There is/was a George Road in Edgbaston.

I did also look on the 1901 map I have and I can't spot it on there.

What name are you looking for?

Last edited:
My gt grandfather was born in Fish Lane, Harborne. No Fish Lane now, but the street is still there under another name. What is the next road on the census, can you see? That would give a clue as to whether the adjoining road is still there.

I think George Street was in the Smethwick St Paul's district?
On the previous page was Mallin Street and the Glasshouse Tavern.
Mallin Street is off St Paul's Road,Smethwick.

George st is marked on the 1890 map in blue. The glasshouse tavern is in red

map_c_1886_george_st_w__smethwick_.jpg

The family name is Bown , Job Bown he was my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather is George Street there today

LyndaroundThe road is not there now. Your g g g grandfather's place is now under a housing estate around where Grenville drive is now. A c1886 map below had Rocks Yard in blue. It was usual to count in from the road, and so his house is liekly to have been the one in red
Mike

map_c_1886_george_st_w__smethwick__job_Bowns_house.jpg

Mike Thankyou for the information, I was born in Erdington and my husband was born in Warley, With doing these searches. I have found that my husbands gt grandparents came from Spon Lane, I feel that maybe our family's had crossed paths before, who Knows. Many Thanks

Back