• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Derrington & Emma Green

I'm even more confused now than when I started. However, I think Emma's parents are James Green and Mary Ann from Birmingham.
Thank you both so much for your interest and information.

And here is the relevant 1881 census with Emma (mis-transcribed as Dennington) and Reuben...

Emma Green 1881.jpg

Reuben was the key. If he hadn't been on the 1881 census then the chances of realising it was not your original Emma would have been slim.

Unfortunately the further you go back the more errors in recording there seem to be. As I said the Emma/Emily confusion is a common one. My 3 x great grandmother was variously listed as Emma and Emily.

The birth is registered as Emily with mmn Mann - that ties in.
The baptism record is the one I think is wrong and belongs to the birth reg as Emma with mmn Lowe as I put in post #30. The 7 July fits with birth reg in Jul to Sep quarter.
I don't think we have a baptism for the Emma who becomes Emma Derrington.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Yes I saw that and made me question if it was the right one.
The birth is registered as Emily with mmn Mann - that ties in.
The baptism record is the one I think is wrong and belongs to the birth reg as Emma with mmn Lowe as I put in post #30. The 7 July fits with birth reg in Jul to Sep quarter.
I don't think we have a baptism for the Emma who becomes Emma Derrington.

It makes me sad reading about my grandfather’s family and the picture which is emerging is that of a desperate family. Having quite a few addresses and even the workhouse in 1864. The two sons William and Samuel having to steal maybe just to have something to eat. It was an all too common sight in those days but thankfully not so much today.

1861 census James born in Suffolk is also a labourer. I wasn't sure this was the right person but Abel is definitely reg as mmn Mann which ties I can't find Hannah's birth. Also no idea where Abel was on 1851 census. Some of this research raises more questions than it solves.
1631521671388.png

I think some of the census entries are a bit made up. On 1871 James seems to suggest he was born in Birmingham but is still a labourer in Macdonlad Street (as 1861 although a different number). There is also a daughter aged 3 who I suspect is a granddaughter - Margaret (also down as daughter) most likely a daughter-in-law

Last edited:
A look in Birmingham baptism records shows no baptisms for chidren surname Green and parents James and Mary.

On the 1861 census I think Hannah should be Emma and Abel should be Reuben.

I can imagine in those days accents would have been quite strong and not always understood by the recorder.

So were there twin sons or is the dual registration a mistake of some kind?

Apart from the registration and the 1861 census (when Reuben is missing) can't see any other sign of him.

The Greens are tricky family but interesting.

Their eldest son, Robert Green, listed on the 1841 census is possibly Mary's son only. He marries as Robert Mann in 1841 and then is listed as Green again on the 1851 census.

It's possible that their daughter Charlotte wasn't James' either. She possibly marries a Charles Allwood in 1848 as a Green but lists her father as Thomas.

The other possibility is that they couldn't cope and some of the children were "adopted"??

A possibility. I thought he may have been an illegitimate son of one of the daughters and the birth was fudged but can't find anything.

He could have been but without the expense of birth certs it is impossible to tell. It seems they weren't always clear about the relationships.

It's intriguing but despite the discrepancies are we still happy that Emma is the daughter of James Green and Mary Mann?

Back