• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

General question

Yvonne

proper brummie kid
During the process of delving into family history I have obviously found addresses where relatives used to live - then I go and search for pictures of the area around that time. This is a problem. Is it completely unrealistic of me to be able/expect to find streets such as: Livery St, Pigott St, Washington St, Horsefair area, Tennant St (there's more, these are an example) when people actually lived there before the factories/warehouses were built. And you know, the more I look for them, the more I get depressed at what Birmingham has lost. Thanks all. :(

First all those streets can often be found, many are on this site with photo's... if type in the street name you want and do a search top of the page (many threads may come up, but you can then do a search for only posts with those names in them...). Second many houses were among the mix of factories, shops, Pubs and yards (Builders & Coal) in a street, there were not long streets just of house in one area and factories in another as they are today. You may also find a lot of streets or parts of streets have disappeared with the redevelopment over the years, we do have a member who is very good at pin pointing many individual houses and buildings on old maps 'mikejee' ... message, or post a request and he, or others may be able to hekp you.

Don't get depressed you are recording history and making something that someone is going to appreciate in the future. Times are always changing for good or bad, all we can do is try and record the changes and make them available so hopefully people can learn from some of those mistakes.

Yvonne I agree it's a bit depressing that your relatives houses are now factories, but by recording that, your future genealogists will be able to see what was there when you were alive and compare it again.
As Pomgolian says, there are many old pics and maps on the site and you can use these alongside current pics to provide a photo book for the future.
Good luck with your research.
Sue

Yvonne my house has gone my grand mothers most of the family at that time and all the houses from that time are now covered by a Royal Mail distribution depo't. but thanks to this site I can still see the Streets and buildings I knew as a lad and the city I grew up in. So cheer up and get searching. Because every new post most some member will see something that give them a lift.:wave::)

Back