• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

GEC WITTON WORKS

Hi Everyone,

A family discussion led me to this forum. The question was where young couples meet these days. For many people the answer used to be “at work” in large companies that are no longer there.

In 1958 I started a drawing office apprenticeship, which included two years invaluable shop floor training, in 3DO. Six years later, still in 3DO, I met a young lady working in PCD and we have now been married for fifty eight years.

Another product of GEC was engineers. For more than thirty years I was an electrical surveyor with an insurance company, working the Midlands and beyond. I seemed to meet engineers from GEC everywhere and a regular comment was that a GEC apprenticeship was almost a passport to another job.

Hoping that I am not too late to respond to an earlier post by anorak147 regarding George Jenkins. He was the chief draughtsman in 3DO. Like many of his time a strict but respected man. Attached is a photo of George making a presentation to apprentice Eddie Hard for his marriage in 1959. The other photo, from 1963 in 3DO, shows draughtsmen Jack Westbury, Alan Sola and Frank Vincent, plus two apprentices.

Attachments

• GEC 01.jpg
    GEC 01.jpg
    924.8 KB · Views: 4
  • GEC 02.JPG
    GEC 02.JPG
    717.4 KB · Views: 4
Hi Everyone,

A family discussion led me to this forum. The question was where young couples meet these days. For many people the answer used to be “at work” in large companies that are no longer there.

In 1958 I started a drawing office apprenticeship, which included two years invaluable shop floor training, in 3DO. Six years later, still in 3DO, I met a young lady working in PCD and we have now been married for fifty eight years.

Another product of GEC was engineers. For more than thirty years I was an electrical surveyor with an insurance company, working the Midlands and beyond. I seemed to meet engineers from GEC everywhere and a regular comment was that a GEC apprenticeship was almost a passport to another job.

Hoping that I am not too late to respond to an earlier post by anorak147 regarding George Jenkins. He was the chief draughtsman in 3DO. Like many of his time a strict but respected man. Attached is a photo of George making a presentation to apprentice Eddie Hard for his marriage in 1959. The other photo, from 1963 in 3DO, shows draughtsmen Jack Westbury, Alan Sola and Frank Vincent, plus two apprentices.
Very interesting Thanks for sharing

Back